Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Mellow May

Today was the church yard sale I mentioned several weeks ago. I think I did well, netted about $115.00 after deducting the table fee and some food purchases.

I had an assortment of items, many of them bath and body products. After a small number of them had been sold, a woman came along who wanted to buy all the remaining perfume sprays. I didn't even count, but they filled two boxes. I gave her a deal, all plus a few other items for $40. I knew if I didn't do it I'd probably be bringing most of them back home, and I didn't want that to happen.

I had stuff on three tables and a tarp on the ground. The bath and body items were on the two tables and in a box under the table on the left, in the top picture taken about 9:30. The bottom picture was taken about 11:00.

A lot of stuff is gone, but there's still plenty left in the house. I just didn't have the room to take any more than I did. I hope to have a yard sale at home before winter.

@just bee, I had to look up foxtails since I've never heard of them. Oy. Woman Surprised

flea mkt.jpg

Respected Contributor

Caffeina, good job! I remember you posting about this.
Feels good when you declutter and get paid.😊
Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

Today was the church yard sale I mentioned several weeks ago. I think I did well, netted about $115.00 after deducting the table fee and some food purchases.

I had an assortment of items, many of them bath and body products. After a small number of them had been sold, a woman came along who wanted to buy all the remaining perfume sprays. I didn't even count, but they filled two boxes. I gave her a deal, all plus a few other items for $40. I knew if I didn't do it I'd probably be bringing most of them back home, and I didn't want that to happen.

I had stuff on three tables and a tarp on the ground. The bath and body items were on the two tables and in a box under the table on the left, in the top picture taken about 9:30. The bottom picture was taken about 11:00.

A lot of stuff is gone, but there's still plenty left in the house. I just didn't have the room to take any more than I did. I hope to have a yard sale at home before winter.

@just bee, I had to look up foxtails since I've never heard of them. Oy. Woman Surprised

flea mkt.jpg

@Caffeina 

Looks like what BH and I did today.  We would set up items in categories to photograph, then inventory.  I can't believe how much B&BW Vanilla Bean Noel I counted.

Finally feel like we made some progress today.

But all my stuff will go into landfill -- your items went home with people and made them happy.

P.S. Foxtails are pure evil.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

just bee, been over at community chat and around the boards today. Seems like grumples are out today. How are you doing?
Respected Contributor

@Caffeina -That's awesome on the garage sale. It has to feel so good to get those unused items out of the house and make a few bucks in the process. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caffeina 

Wow!  You did great!  They almost cleaned you out, in short order too.  Must be a wonderful feeling to get so much gone from your life.  That much less to have to stress about.  

I agree with @Brisky and @rnmom , it’s an accomplishment to be rid of all that and get paid on top of it!  I wish I could do so well with my stuff.  I normally end up donating or just giving things away.  Or throwing them in the trash.  I have been accumulating another pile of clothes to go to the animal shelter store. How I got them, I don’t know.  I thought I had gotten down to the basics with my clothes, and here I have another pile!

I had wanted to try a “no-buy” May, but I’ve succumbed twice so far to things I don’t need.  One was a pair of summer crops, which, surprisingly, I love—although I haven’t washed them yet.  Sometimes after washing things don’t do so well.  And the other was a beauty product.  This is odd, since I’ve curtailed my skin care regimen for quite a while.  But this was an exfoliating type product, and I’ve found I can’t eliminate that step or I end up with, well, just yucky skin.  The physical exfoliators are too harsh for my face now, and most of the chemical ones either are too strong or too sticky.  Hopefully this will work out.  If not, I fully intend to send it back instead of keeping it hanging around.  

And as I’m using up my other hair and skin products, I’m keeping a tally on just what I want to reorder and what I can do without.  Right now I’m using everything I have, but just looking at my counter and my closet, I still feel it’s too much.  Trouble is, I use some things in the winter and others in the summer, like clothes.  I’d love to be able to use the same things in both areas year-round.  Guess I need to move to a different climate for that! 🌎

Congrats again on a decluttering job well done! 👍🙂

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
just bee, been over at community chat and around the boards today. Seems like grumples are out today. How are you doing?

@Brisky 

Last night I felt a little relief because BH and I were able to go through some items, inventory and disposition them.

But then I woke up in the middle of the night and started thinking about how much there is left to do and how many decisions will have to be made in the next few days.

I think the sooner we get this done the better.  Even if that means sacrificing some things that could be saved.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@Caffeina -That's awesome on the garage sale. It has to feel so good to get those unused items out of the house and make a few bucks in the process. 

@rnmom 

@Caffeina 

I will always regret not getting the things I'd planned to donate donated. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@Caffeina 

Wow!  You did great!  They almost cleaned you out, in short order too.  Must be a wonderful feeling to get so much gone from your life.  That much less to have to stress about.  

I agree with @Brisky and @rnmom , it’s an accomplishment to be rid of all that and get paid on top of it!  I wish I could do so well with my stuff.  I normally end up donating or just giving things away.  Or throwing them in the trash.  I have been accumulating another pile of clothes to go to the animal shelter store. How I got them, I don’t know.  I thought I had gotten down to the basics with my clothes, and here I have another pile!

I had wanted to try a “no-buy” May, but I’ve succumbed twice so far to things I don’t need.  One was a pair of summer crops, which, surprisingly, I love—although I haven’t washed them yet.  Sometimes after washing things don’t do so well.  And the other was a beauty product.  This is odd, since I’ve curtailed my skin care regimen for quite a while.  But this was an exfoliating type product, and I’ve found I can’t eliminate that step or I end up with, well, just yucky skin.  The physical exfoliators are too harsh for my face now, and most of the chemical ones either are too strong or too sticky.  Hopefully this will work out.  If not, I fully intend to send it back instead of keeping it hanging around.  

And as I’m using up my other hair and skin products, I’m keeping a tally on just what I want to reorder and what I can do without.  Right now I’m using everything I have, but just looking at my counter and my closet, I still feel it’s too much.  Trouble is, I use some things in the winter and others in the summer, like clothes.  I’d love to be able to use the same things in both areas year-round.  Guess I need to move to a different climate for that! 🌎

Congrats again on a decluttering job well done! 👍🙂

@geezerette 

I keep thinking that if the company BH and I had worked for had transferred us to Ireland instead of Albuquerque, I wouldn't have moved as much stuff nor would I have collected so much more.

@rnmom  said she had kept very little of her school days and only 10% of what was in her house actually was hers.  I have to wonder why I kept so much. 

I tried to keep as much as possible so I woulldn't lose it, but here I am losing it all at once.

Just need this to be over.

I think I envy those who move often.  They don't hang on to stuff.

Like I said, I could kick myself for not donating all this cr@p. Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

I moved approximately every 4 years until my husband retired from the military. We never bought much because we knew we would eventually move. I guess that was our saving grace. After his third tour in Iraq and he was going to Afghanistan I asked him to retire.
25 years in the military was enough for all of us. Our children grew up and he was gone so much of that time. It was strange when he came back for good.