Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Mellow May

@just beeI am no longer an impluse buyer. I do have a few foundations that work well for me & now stick to them, including skin care. I am down to just one shadow pallette & singles that I love. My problem has been fragrances but now, I will not replace unless I empty a bottle that I love. The problem with many (jmo) is the Q easy pays, many get carried away with buying so many products & storing them. Unless you purchase one order & pay it off. It gets out of hand otherwise, especially with impluse buyers. I use to buy so many tsv's myself years ago but no longer. I do read your posts & you have made a differerent as well as your fellow Compact Ladies! 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

My priorities for Mellow May? 

First,  HEP.  I managed about half of April, but then I fell off the wagon yesterday big time.  So, for my purposes of starting fresh at the beginning of a new month, this year my April has 31days.😉  

Second, I need a no-buy month.  Actually, after totaling what I’ve been spending the last year, I need several no-buy months.  I tried an experiment for a few months of using a credit card vs cash for local purchases, and I found it didn’t make any difference in my spending.  I blow it in either way.  So, I’m going to stick with the credit card for a lot of it since I get money back on that.  It’s not much, but it will help out a little when I do need to buy something. My resistance will be put to the test tomorrow when I go to the pet store.  Just how many bags of dog cookies are “necessary”?🤔

Third, I need to finish my shredding.  I’m about halfway through now.  At first it was really interesting to go through all those old memories.  And interesting about how much of my life I don’t remember.  (It gives me a new found appreciation for the statute of limitations.)  Now I just want to get it done.

That about sums it up.  Oh, and to try and be more Mellow, too. 🥴

@geezerette 

Oh, yeah... shredding.  I need to get back to that, too.  You make a good point about not remembering.  Maybe I've put off shredding because I don't want to be reminded.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

@just beeI am no longer an impluse buyer. I do have a few foundations that work well for me & now stick to them, including skin care. I am down to just one shadow pallette & singles that I love. My problem has been fragrances but now, I will not replace unless I empty a bottle that I love. The problem with many (jmo) is the Q easy pays, many get carried away with buying so many products & storing them. Unless you purchase one order & pay it off. It gets out of hand otherwise, especially with impluse buyers. I use to buy so many tsv's myself years ago but no longer. I do read your posts & you have made a differerent as well as your fellow Compact Ladies! 

@Kabella 

That's the trick: Finding what works and sticking with it.  Then hoping it isn't discontinued by the manufacturer! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Woman Sad

Better-half bought something for me.  He knows a couple who lives on the other side of the country and they're artists.  The gift was a hand-painted Italian terra cotta planter that had bees on it.  Gorgeous.

It arrived today -- via USPS -- in pieces.  Several pieces.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Woman Sad

Better-half bought something for me.  He knows a couple who lives on the other side of the country and they're artists.  The gift was a hand-painted Italian terra cotta planter that had bees on it.  Gorgeous.

@just bee, how incredibly disappointing. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Woman Sad

@aprilskies 

That's one way to describe it.  I said I'd try to glue it all back together and no one supports that idea.  It's art -- it can't be repaired.

Art is repaired all the time.  But I expect it will be in the trash when I get home from work in the morning.

Sigh.

So how are you doing?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Woman Sad

@aprilskies 

That's one way to describe it.  I said I'd try to glue it all back together and no one supports that idea.  It's art -- it can't be repaired.

Art is repaired all the time.  But I expect it will be in the trash when I get home from work in the morning.

Sigh.

So how are you doing?

@just bee, I know it is art but I would try and glue it back together. It wouldnt be the same but I would want to see it whole. What a shame.

I am doing okay thanks. Trying to hang in there and just go with the flow.

Mellow May, yes, I need a mellow month.  My goals for May are just the same really. Just trying to reduce junk food, reduce unnecessary spending and just try and have some fun. Why is having fun these days so hard.

So far this year I have not purchased any beauty items at all, at least that I can recall. If I did it was a need. I still go searching for something to buy but it really helps that I have really been getting rid of things either by tossing because they are old or giving things away.  The newer things that I know I wont use even if I wanted to so why not let others enjoy them before they become old.  I tried to send it to project beauty share, I had a ton, but the shipping for all I had was outrageous. At that point I would rather send them the money. But I did take all the new things in to work and it all went. I was happy to see that. It felt good to get them out but I still have the gently used stuff I didnt feel comfortable taking into work.

@Oshare-girl, I was ready to give away 2 eyeshadow palettes that I have barely used but my plan fell apart at the cost of shipping. I still just might ship the palettes and other sorts of mu.  But, I was ready to let them go. Progress.  I didnt really care for them so others might as well enjoy them. I bought them because of the packaging and the hype.  Plus there is no way I would ever use all of this mu and it stresses me out to know its laying in waste. I am not a heavy mu wearer and when I do get into the groove, it really is a light application.

My spending on other things wasnt so great though but I knew that was going to happen when I cut back on beauty. It seems it is always one area or another but at least it is not everything all at once like it use to be. So that is something.

For HEP, I just wont dare sit here and chime the same old things. But, I am slowing either getting through some things, tossing and taking some stuff into work. I just cant control myself if it is in the house.  So out goes most of the junk food. At least for a little while. I am going to start researching some healthy tasty meals and see if I can develop a plan each week.  I dont mind if it is repetitive as long as I can stick to it.

Honestly I feel like I just have the same old story.  I think it is really time to change that.

So I have been watching Scandal on Netflix.  Has anyone watched this show?

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

My priorities for Mellow May? 

First,  HEP.  I managed about half of April, but then I fell off the wagon yesterday big time.  So, for my purposes of starting fresh at the beginning of a new month, this year my April has 31days.😉  

Second, I need a no-buy month.  Actually, after totaling what I’ve been spending the last year, I need several no-buy months.  I tried an experiment for a few months of using a credit card vs cash for local purchases, and I found it didn’t make any difference in my spending.  I blow it in either way.  So, I’m going to stick with the credit card for a lot of it since I get money back on that.  It’s not much, but it will help out a little when I do need to buy something. My resistance will be put to the test tomorrow when I go to the pet store.  Just how many bags of dog cookies are “necessary”?🤔

Third, I need to finish my shredding.  I’m about halfway through now.  At first it was really interesting to go through all those old memories.  And interesting about how much of my life I don’t remember.  (It gives me a new found appreciation for the statute of limitations.)  Now I just want to get it done.

That about sums it up.  Oh, and to try and be more Mellow, too. 🥴

@geezerette 

Oh, yeah... shredding.  I need to get back to that, too.  You make a good point about not remembering.  Maybe I've put off shredding because I don't want to be reminded.

@just bee, @geezerette, the dreaded shredding.  I think I need to get back to that myself. I cant seem to get there.

Respected Contributor

Hello all, I am getting in from a long day. Mellow May sounded good till my sister called to tell me my brother is going into hospice. Five years ago he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. It is getting worse now fast. My mother of course very upset. My father past five years ago so she's way down. My brother is only
Sixty. So sad for all, especially his children.
Life always sends us trials. Just sad.
I see you are all doing good.
Geezerette, I have already bought a milky way. We all go off the wagon. No chocolate? Lasted two days for me
Just bee, you have a good husband!
I hope you are all doing well and if not, just try to chill out. We don't have control over everything.

Respected Contributor

@just bee -You might not NEED the blushes, but honestly, if you want the blushes I'd just get them. 

Like you said, the blushes that you have right now very well might outlive you, so if you want to try the Milani blushes you might as well get them now and try them out. They're inexpensive and if you use the gift card they're free, so what are you out?

I've been trying really hard to be good and not buy unnecessary items so far this year, but every once in a while you just have to buy yourself a treat. If I happen to see another e.l.f. sale I think I'm going to pick up a few new items to try. Plus I just ordered my Ulta items, several of which I didn't need, but it was free with a gift card. That's what they're for, right? 

And life's too short to not buy at least a few small things that we will enjoy and have fun with.