Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Mellow May

@River Song wrote:

@just bee ,

In looking for alternate housing, see if there are any companies that offer furnished housing.  We used a company called ATB Furnished Housing (atbfh dot com) when we had to move three hours away from home for four months while my DH received his bone marrow transplant at a cancer center.  This company provides temporary housing, fully furnished with utilities included, for people that move due to jobs, disaster relief, medical needs, etc.

The 2BR/2BA apartment we rented had washer/dryer, dishwasher, fully furnished, phone, internet, cable tv, all the kitchen stuff, towels, sheets, a mailbox.  We just needed to go out and buy food. They also allowed pets.  There was a club house with exercise equipment and a small pool.  Anyway, something to look into.  I never knew these companies existed, never had the need.  Rental was on a month to month basis.  Might be more expensive than, say, a monthly rental at an Extended Stay America but you'd be living in an apartment where you could cook your own meals, not a hotel. 

I guess just start Googling 'furnished housing disaster relief' and see if anything pops up for your area. 

@River Song 

Thanks!  Right now we're working with a company through our insurance and BH is also scoping out properties online.  Have looked at one but it has a swamp cooler.  Still looking.

BH figures the hotel is a good central location for now because we can get to the house, work, shopping and car lots quickly.  Once we get cars we can start thinking about moving into a house.  We want to be close to ours to check on the yard and construction.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@just bee ,

In looking for alternate housing, see if there are any companies that offer furnished housing.  We used a company called ATB Furnished Housing (atbfh dot com) when we had to move three hours away from home for four months while my DH received his bone marrow transplant at a cancer center.  This company provides temporary housing, fully furnished with utilities included, for people that move due to jobs, disaster relief, medical needs, etc.

The 2BR/2BA apartment we rented had washer/dryer, dishwasher, fully furnished, phone, internet, cable tv, all the kitchen stuff, towels, sheets, a mailbox.  We just needed to go out and buy food. They also allowed pets.  There was a club house with exercise equipment and a small pool.  Anyway, something to look into.  I never knew these companies existed, never had the need.  Rental was on a month to month basis.  Might be more expensive than, say, a monthly rental at an Extended Stay America but you'd be living in an apartment where you could cook your own meals, not a hotel. 

I guess just start Googling 'furnished housing disaster relief' and see if anything pops up for your area. 

You’re right.  I had completely forgotten about those types of apartments.  There are those for business people also.  Short-term leases available.  For longer stays than, say, a Residence Inn type place.

Good suggestion! 👍

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@River Song wrote:

@just bee ,

@River Song 

Thanks!  Right now we're working with a company through our insurance and BH is also scoping out properties online.  Have looked at one but it has a swamp cooler.  Still looking.

BH figures the hotel is a good central location for now because we can get to the house, work, shopping and car lots quickly.  Once we get cars we can start thinking about moving into a house.  We want to be close to ours to check on the yard and construction.

@just bee ,

Great!  I was hoping your insurance company was working with you to find temporary housing. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Aaaarrrggghhh!

We had such a great response from our insurance company the day after, but then we couldn't get anyone to return our calls.  Finally, today, we started hearing from people and they all had very different information.

We had been told that people were coming to the house to inventory everything.  We had also been told not to restore anything that was made of certain materials or worth less than $25.

So I've been filling up garbage bags all week with items I had been told would be trash.

Now suddenly that's not quite accurate.  Now we're being told that items have to be restored regardless and that the inventory team we were expecting doesn't exist.  WE are the inventory team.

My head is about to explode.  This would have been nice to know ten days ago.

I said I was going to get an ice cream cone at the end of this, but BH drove me to Coldstone and said to get one now.  I did.  French vanilla (I couldn't make any more difficult decisions) and it was okay but I already regret that decision.

I made the mistake of grabbing a box of papers today, then discovered that it was school papers from elementary school forward, letters and cards from friends and family, mementos, souvenirs, writings, art -- even a signed photo from Cesar Romero when I met him in Prescott, AZ when I was ten.

I became paralyzed, then started throwing things away -- then was paralyzed again.

I think it was okay to toss what I did (Cesar was included), but then I froze on the family cards.  I may have to revisit this and just put a box of sentimental papers in storage to consider later.  It's too late to go back and sift through garbage.  I already did that when I thought I'd tossed the bonds.

We're tired.  But I'm worried about the dog.  He just seems exhausted today.  We're going to cook dinner in our room and I'm going to do laundry.  I need some normal and I need it now.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

While I was starting laundry, BH found something online.

It's kinda related to our recent conversation here about "luck."  I'll share it.

A farmer and his son had a beloved stallion who helped the family earn a living. One day, the horse ran away and their neighbors exclaimed, “Your horse ran away, what terrible luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

A few days later, the horse returned home, leading a few wild mares back to the farm as well. The neighbors shouted out, “Your horse has returned, and brought several horses home with him. What great luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

Later that week, the farmer’s son was trying to break one of the mares and she threw him to the ground, breaking his leg. The villagers cried, “Your son broke his leg, what terrible luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

A few weeks later, soldiers from the national army marched through town, recruiting all the able-bodied boys for the army. They did not take the farmer’s son, still recovering from his injury. Friends shouted, “Your boy is spared, what tremendous luck!” To which the farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

The moral of this story is, of course, that no event, in and of itself, can truly be judged as good or bad, lucky or unlucky, fortunate or unfortunate, but that only time will tell the whole story. Additionally, no one really lives long enough to find out the ‘whole story,’ so it could be considered a great waste of time to judge minor inconveniences as misfortunes or to invest tons of energy into things that look outstanding on the surface, but may not pay off in the end.

The wiser thing, then, is to live life in moderation, keeping as even a temperament as possible, taking all things in stride, whether they originally appear to be ‘good’ or ‘bad.’ Life is much more comfortable and comforting if we merely accept what we’re given and make the best of our life circumstances. Rather than always having to pass judgment on things and declare them as good or bad, it would be better to just sit back and say, “It will be interesting to see what happens.”

Honored Contributor

So tonight BH cooked a chicken/vegetable/penne dish in our hotel kitchenette.  I had taken a shower and was under a blanket on the couch.  TV was on.  I was starting to doze off.

SMOKE ALARM!!!

Dog freaks out, I freak out. 

I got some mail from the National Center for PTSD this week.  I better take a closer look at it...

It's the PC-PTSD-5 to screen patients for PTSD.  First question: Ask your clients about their experience of traumatic events such as a serious accident or fire.

Don't see anything on here about a hotel smoke alarm...

I think it's time to go to sleep.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

While I was starting laundry, BH found something online.

It's kinda related to our recent conversation here about "luck."  I'll share it.

A farmer and his son had a beloved stallion who helped the family earn a living. One day, the horse ran away and their neighbors exclaimed, “Your horse ran away, what terrible luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

A few days later, the horse returned home, leading a few wild mares back to the farm as well. The neighbors shouted out, “Your horse has returned, and brought several horses home with him. What great luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

Later that week, the farmer’s son was trying to break one of the mares and she threw him to the ground, breaking his leg. The villagers cried, “Your son broke his leg, what terrible luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

A few weeks later, soldiers from the national army marched through town, recruiting all the able-bodied boys for the army. They did not take the farmer’s son, still recovering from his injury. Friends shouted, “Your boy is spared, what tremendous luck!” To which the farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

The moral of this story is, of course, that no event, in and of itself, can truly be judged as good or bad, lucky or unlucky, fortunate or unfortunate, but that only time will tell the whole story. Additionally, no one really lives long enough to find out the ‘whole story,’ so it could be considered a great waste of time to judge minor inconveniences as misfortunes or to invest tons of energy into things that look outstanding on the surface, but may not pay off in the end.

The wiser thing, then, is to live life in moderation, keeping as even a temperament as possible, taking all things in stride, whether they originally appear to be ‘good’ or ‘bad.’ Life is much more comfortable and comforting if we merely accept what we’re given and make the best of our life circumstances. Rather than always having to pass judgment on things and declare them as good or bad, it would be better to just sit back and say, “It will be interesting to see what happens.

YES!    That is very wise, indeed!

Honored Contributor

I will say that the water in the hotel leaves my skin and hair in much better shape.  The hotel supplies Paul Mitchell products (shampoo, conditioner, soap).  They're effective with the softened water, but I'm not sure they'd be that great with our regular gravel water.

I sure wish they had told us about the inventory sooner.  It feels like a week has been wasted and I've already discarded so much.

I'm taking another week off to get this finished.  I've got to focus on getting a car because the rental is good for only two more weeks.  I had squirreled away some money when I stopped shopping unconsciously and BH thought it should be invested or in a better account.  I just wanted to have access to "emergency" money.

Good thing.  We'll need to buy two vehicles and God knows what else. 

Honored Contributor

Today's breakfast:

Oatmeal with light raisins and a smidge of honey

Fat free Greek yogurt with cantaloupe

Grapes

Banana

Hard-boiled egg

"Tea"

They didn't have any blueberries this morning.  No more bagel and cream cheese or slab of Brie for me.  Especially after that bucket of French vanilla yesterday (gak).

Haven't had any of my multivitamins, probiotics or fish oil since the "event."  My body is not adjusting to the new routine.

I'll have my "hot flavored water" and be on my way to Sootville. Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

Sootville,😁 made me laugh. First laugh today! Watched signs, good one. Liked six sense better though.
Been out mowing and cleaning up after wind storms.
I really think I have the biggest globe willow in the town. I know that tree has been around here on earth longer than I have.
BH flies in from ky tonight. Training time for him. I hope he bought me clothes from the PX.He will I know! I trained him right.😊 I miss being around the military. There are some perks to it. I will never travel to Europe again for free. Hawaii definitely going back but not for free. I often miss my BF from KY. Miss the beauty of KY too. Well, if husband ever retires, we will go back. He is from TN and we both like greener pastures. Brown pastures aren't our cup of tea. We won't miss the desert.
How is everybody? Hope all is well,wherever you are.☺