Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Mellow May

@just bee  I have not check this thread for a long time. And I just learned about the fire in your house.  I just want to say that I am glad that everyone made out alive with minimal injuries.  I am so sorry that this happened.  And I hope that God gives you strength to carry forth and deal with the new beginning.

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@just bee  I have not check this thread for a long time. And I just learned about the fire in your house.  I just want to say that I am glad that everyone made out alive with minimal injuries.  I am so sorry that this happened.  And I hope that God gives you strength to carry forth and deal with the new beginning.

@momoftwo2007 

Thanks so much.  As bad as it is, it could have been worse.  Like the firefighters told us, if BH hadn't closed the door that separates the house from the garage and pushed us outside, we would have cooked.

Cinco de Mayo will never be the same again.  We'll have to make it some kind of positive anniversary to celebrate.  Maybe toast The Day We Didn't Die?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@Hoovermom ,

Ah, if only I had a dishwasher. 

The thing is, we have a set of everyday dishes, Mikasa Italian Countryside, that we both love, is durable and microwave safe.  I actually like the Mikasa set better than the china, go figure.

That's what got me thinking that I should dispose of the china.  I'm halfway to the point of just donating it to charity but this stuff was so expensive, even 30 years ago.

@River Song 

Italian Countryside.  Smart choice.  We had a set of dishes with a great design and every time BH took a photo of what he had prepared, people always commented on the beautiful plate.

He got fed up and we bought all white dishes.  I'm hoping we can get them all washed, packed up and stored.  The restoration crew would have been happy to take them, but I don't want to spend more on restoration than what I paid for items in the first place.

The battle will be over taking the old patterned dishes and my collection of tea mugs.  I think I'll reduce the number, but I don't want to give them all up.

All these decisions are hurting my brain.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee 

I can understand that you’d want to be selective about what you spend your restoration dollars on.  But you can fill up your storage unit with things you’re not sure about keeping.  You can always toss stuff later if it can’t be salvaged to your liking,  That may happen anyway, even with things you think will be okay.

Hang in there.  ❤️

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

I can understand that you’d want to be selective about what you spend your restoration dollars on.  But you can fill up your storage unit with things you’re not sure about keeping.  You can always toss stuff later if it can’t be salvaged to your liking,  That may happen anyway, even with things you think will be okay.

Hang in there.  ❤️

@geezerette 

Good point.  I just remembered the guitar my stepdad gave me in high school.  What do I do with that?  The Pilates Performer (QVC) can stay in the house.  The smoke smell would never come out.

I think I'll just walk the dog and try to think about something else.  Like calling work and asking for more time off.  And that's why I hoarded almost 300 hours of vacation time...

Respected Contributor

just bee, with all this sugar running in my veins, I could run over and help you! I will try no sugar next month.
Now I will be looking for the movie, signs. I want to see it now.
Hang in there, you are all alive and safe now. That over rides everything else!

Geezerette, how are you and Carla. I hope all is well.
To every body here, Try to make it a good day.
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
just bee, with all this sugar running in my veins, I could run over and help you! I will try no sugar next month.
Now I will be looking for the movie, signs. I want to see it now.
Hang in there, you are all alive and safe now. That over rides everything else!

Geezerette, how are you and Carla. I hope all is well.
To every body here, Try to make it a good day.

@Brisky 

Of all the M. Night Shyamalan films, I like The Sixth Sense and Signs.  I look for a good story, good dialogue and characters I can care about.

I'm always looking for "signs" -- maybe that's why I like the movie.  Of course, these two films are in the DVD collection that will soon be in landfill. Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

@just bee ,

In looking for alternate housing, see if there are any companies that offer furnished housing.  We used a company called ATB Furnished Housing (atbfh dot com) when we had to move three hours away from home for four months while my DH received his bone marrow transplant at a cancer center.  This company provides temporary housing, fully furnished with utilities included, for people that move due to jobs, disaster relief, medical needs, etc.

The 2BR/2BA apartment we rented had washer/dryer, dishwasher, fully furnished, phone, internet, cable tv, all the kitchen stuff, towels, sheets, a mailbox.  We just needed to go out and buy food. They also allowed pets.  There was a club house with exercise equipment and a small pool.  Anyway, something to look into.  I never knew these companies existed, never had the need.  Rental was on a month to month basis.  Might be more expensive than, say, a monthly rental at an Extended Stay America but you'd be living in an apartment where you could cook your own meals, not a hotel. 

I guess just start Googling 'furnished housing disaster relief' and see if anything pops up for your area. 

Respected Contributor

Six Sense through me for a loop. That was a good one. I could tell you stories about signs but that would take all day. ☺
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
Six Sense through me for a loop. That was a good one. I could tell you stories about signs but that would take all day. ☺

@Brisky 

That's why I still like it.  Usually I can smell a plot twist a mile away but the end was a surprise.  How did I miss it?  There were so many signs...