Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Mellow May

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@geezerette - I know it's hard to imagine what I would do if I were in @just bee 's shoes, but I kinda feel like you do, like I would just junk everything and start over. With the exception of some of my kids' sentimental items and pictures, I could part with just about anything in this house. I'm not an overly sentimental person to begin with, it's all just "stuff". I'd take the insurance money and just start over from scratch.

It's easy to say, but I'm sure it's not as easy seeing everything that you've accumulated over a lifetime be destroyed and thrown away. I just really can't imagine. 

It's definitely worth putting some thought into for sure, "Did I use this stuff when I had it?" It may be the most beautiful item in the world, but if it didn't get used before, it won't get used now, and there certainly wouldn't be a point in restoring it. 

@rnmom 

@geezerette 

I bought lead crystal flutes and other similar items as well as a set of Christmas dishes and accessories back in the 80s.  I never used the dishes and only a few of the glasses.  Yet I felt I needed to wipe off the boxes and put them in the storage unit.

Will I use those Christmas dishes?  Don't know.  But I just couldn't see tossing all of that.

I'm going to have to prune my mug collection.  That will be a challenge.

@just bee 

Golly gee, ‘separated at birth’ strikes again!

Around that same time frame we were living in a pretty fancy house and neighborhood and having “dinner parties”.  I come from the era when brides got “good” dinnerware for their weddings.  I didn’t have any and felt inferior to our friends when it was our turn to play hosts.  Our friends didn’t care, but I sure did.  Anyway, the OG bought me a whole set (for 12) of bone china and coordinating lead crystal.  Very simple pattern and I loved it.

The gist of the story is that I’ved used it maybe a half dozen times since I got it.  I packed and unpacked it all every time we moved, holding my breath that it would arrive unscathed.  It now all sits in my china cabinet, collecting dust.  

I still love it.  I enjoy looking at it (although it’s filthy because I’m too lazy to clean it and the glass cabinet).  And I’ve already planned on taking it with me if I move.  Will I ever use it?  Probably not.  I always thought when I got to be a little old lady in my old lady apartment I would use it for my daily meals.  Have my coffee/tea and biscuits in it every morning.  Problem is, none of it can go in the dishwasher or microwave so it’s very impractical.  And none of my friends or family has the need or desire for any of it.  If the cats didn’t already have their own dishes, I might consider letting them use some pieces. 😁

More possessions for my fantasy life.  😉🤗

Ugh, yes.  Well, those were the thing back in the day. I would use mine too, however, it doesnt go in the dishwasher so it sits in the boxes.  Oy vey. I guess I could wash it by hand but I am not there yet.  I dont need the extra work from now.  I am having trouble just keeping up with the basics.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom 

@aprilskies 

Don’t feel bad about falling short with HEP.  Me too.  But I’ve felt so bad lately that I’ve started to clamp down seriously on my diet.  While I don’t think it’s the sole reason, but I do know eating poorly contributes to my feeling bad.  Duh.  I even stuck to my guns when I went grocery shopping yesterday.  It’s amazing how much less my grocery bill was when I wasn’t buying junk!  There’s some incentive right there.  

I can’t say that I’ve lost more than a pound or two, but I’m more concerned with eating healthy at this point rather than losing pounds.  That can come later when I’ve gotten back in the groove of doing without junk.  It takes a while for those cravings to go away, but this has to be a permanent lifestyle change for me.  It’s a pain in the neck and something I hate, but (as my mother used to say) I’m hurting nobody but myself.

Good luck, you two!  

@geezerette, I completely agree with everything you said.   I would like to lose the weight, however, eating healthier is more important to me at the moment.  Just another reason why I just resigned to buying bigger clothes and doing this slowly.  I started to get the junk out of the house.  There is just so much though. Woman Embarassed  I can no longer have it piled high.  I have no willpower. I have been doing okay at the grocery store lately but still have my moments. 

I will openly admit though, my spending was always tied to my emotions, however, lately I realized, so is my eating, which surprised me.  I know I became a stress eater but didnt realize that when I tried to stop, that it would bring up all kinds of emotions that I didnt want to deal with.  Yuck.  But, it is time to face those too. Woman Tongue  I will stop here before this gets too serious. Woman LOL

@aprilskies 

I hear ya.  But after a while, my stress eating just became a habit.  I can get to the point where all I eat is junk, even when I’m not actually hungry.  I stop all that when I feel really bad, but as soon as I start perking up, I go right back to the bad stuff.  

And the sugar is really tough to stop.  I don’t have anything in the house anymore that is sweet, other than a bit of fruit.  But I go around looking for sweet things—even eyeing the hummingbird sugar!😱🤗  

But if I stay off all that long enough, I lose the taste for it.  The worst time is in the stores.  I see and smell all that junk, and I want it.  Plus, it’s fast and easy and I’m lazy.  I hate to cook or prepare food.  And it’s really hard now that I’m doing it only for myself.  And I don’t have anyone here to keep tabs on me either!  😆

I keep trying to tell myself that I’m a grown adult and I’m acting like a child.  It’s ridiculous.  But it’s still hard.  Apparently good health is not enough motivation for me. 😩

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@geezerette - I know it's hard to imagine what I would do if I were in @just bee 's shoes, but I kinda feel like you do, like I would just junk everything and start over. With the exception of some of my kids' sentimental items and pictures, I could part with just about anything in this house. I'm not an overly sentimental person to begin with, it's all just "stuff". I'd take the insurance money and just start over from scratch.

It's easy to say, but I'm sure it's not as easy seeing everything that you've accumulated over a lifetime be destroyed and thrown away. I just really can't imagine. 

It's definitely worth putting some thought into for sure, "Did I use this stuff when I had it?" It may be the most beautiful item in the world, but if it didn't get used before, it won't get used now, and there certainly wouldn't be a point in restoring it. 

@rnmom 

@geezerette 

I bought lead crystal flutes and other similar items as well as a set of Christmas dishes and accessories back in the 80s.  I never used the dishes and only a few of the glasses.  Yet I felt I needed to wipe off the boxes and put them in the storage unit.

Will I use those Christmas dishes?  Don't know.  But I just couldn't see tossing all of that.

@just bee 

Around that same time frame we were living in a pretty fancy house and neighborhood and having “dinner parties”.  I come from the era when brides got “good” dinnerware for their weddings.  I didn’t have any and felt inferior to our friends when it was our turn to play hosts.  Our friends didn’t care, but I sure did.  Anyway, the OG bought me a whole set (for 12) of bone china and coordinating lead crystal.  Very simple pattern and I loved it.

The gist of the story is that I’ved used it maybe a half dozen times since I got it.  I packed and unpacked it all every time we moved, holding my breath that it would arrive unscathed.  It now all sits in my china cabinet, collecting dust.  

I still love it.  I enjoy looking at it (although it’s filthy because I’m too lazy to clean it and the glass cabinet).  And I’ve already planned on taking it with me if I move.  Will I ever use it?  Probably not.  I always thought when I got to be a little old lady in my old lady apartment I would use it for my daily meals.  Have my coffee/tea and biscuits in it every morning.  Problem is, none of it can go in the dishwasher or microwave so it’s very impractical.  And none of my friends or family has the need or desire for any of it.  If the cats didn’t already have their own dishes, I might consider letting them use some pieces. 😁

@geezerette 

That's precisely how we ended up with so much stuff when we moved here.  We had guests, dinners, parties.  We entertained.

I have dishes and glassware and all sorts of cloth napkins and napkin rings and pretty bowls and pitchers and...

I ended up putting some of them above the kitchen cabinet for decoration -- where they collect grease and dust -- and I cannot believe I told the crew to go ahead and "restore" my Hobby Lobby ceramic chickens and ceramic pitchers.  We could have washed many of these items ourselves and moved them to storage, but I just wanted to get some items out of my sight fast.  Not expensive -- probably a stupid move.  And I saved a table, a glass TV stand and the big metal and glass wine rack.

The thought of moving back into an empty house is just a little weird.  It might not be smart, but a few familiar items will help, I think.

I didn't want them boxing up all our dishes and glassware.  I think we can do that.

But it's funny -- separated at birth again -- when I took the crystal to storage I was thinking: Ditch the cheap glassware and just use these elegant glasses for everyday.

Wonder if I will.  My wine costs less than the glasses.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Just saw BH and the dog walk past the window.  I got back to the hotel after working with the restoration crew and now BH will get the car for the afternoon after he drops me off at the house to start bagging trashables.

The crew wanted to come back tomorrow for more stuff.  I told them not to bother.  I think most of what's left will be landfill.

Talk about a carbon footprint...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@rnmom 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

That's precisely how we ended up with so much stuff when we moved here.  We had guests, dinners, parties.  We entertained.

I have dishes and glassware and all sorts of cloth napkins and napkin rings and pretty bowls and pitchers and...

I ended up putting some of them above the kitchen cabinet for decoration -- where they collect grease and dust -- and I cannot believe I told the crew to go ahead and "restore" my Hobby Lobby ceramic chickens and ceramic pitchers.  We could have washed many of these items ourselves and moved them to storage, but I just wanted to get some items out of my sight fast.  Not expensive -- probably a stupid move.  And I saved a table, a glass TV stand and the big metal and glass wine rack.

The thought of moving back into an empty house is just a little weird.  It might not be smart, but a few familiar items will help, I think.

I didn't want them boxing up all our dishes and glassware.  I think we can do that.

But it's funny -- separated at birth again -- when I took the crystal to storage I was thinking: Ditch the cheap glassware and just use these elegant glasses for everyday.

@just bee 

See, you’ve already established a new routine.  Humans have the need for sameness and predictability.  Dogs do too.

You’re right—a few familiar things in a rental will make it seem more like “home”.  And those are the types of things that will fair best afterwards—stuff that doesn’t hold odor.  They might not be exactly like they were before, but that’s tolerable.  As long as you’re not living with things that are going to outgas and make you sick.  Some of your decisions you will second guess later, but don’t beat yourself up about it.  You have a lot to figure out in a very short time with limited resources available.

It doesn’t matter what the original cost of the items was, a lot depends on how much it means to you and how well it’s going to be able to be cleaned up.  Some of the things I enjoy looking at in my house the most are just things I bought myself online or in a store.  They have no particular deep meaning, I just enjoy how they look in my house amongst my other things.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@rnmom 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

See, you’ve already established a new routine.  Humans have the need for sameness and predictability.  Dogs do too.

You’re right—a few familiar things in a rental will make it seem more like “home”.  And those are the types of things that will fair best afterwards—stuff that doesn’t hold odor.  They might not be exactly like they were before, but that’s tolerable.  As long as you’re not living with things that are going to outgas and make you sick.  Some of your decisions you will second guess later, but don’t beat yourself up about it.  You have a lot to figure out in a very short time with limited resources available.

It doesn’t matter what the original cost of the items was, a lot depends on how much it means to you and how well it’s going to be able to be cleaned up.  Some of the things I enjoy looking at in my house the most are just things I bought myself online or in a store.  They have no particular deep meaning, I just enjoy how they look in my house amongst my other things.

@geezerette 

I asked about that.  Getting so many different messages about toxicity.  I was told not to water my houseplants -- not until I removed the top layer of contaminated soil.  Too late.  One of the first things I did was water the plants because I didn't know when we'd be back in the house.

I was told they would die from the soot.  All of them since the fire have new growth and look quite happy.  Go figure.

So today I asked again about outgassing.  If I wash my dishes and store them, will they be toxic later?  Will there be deadly fumes from the items I haven't had "restored?"

The answer was no.  I still don't know if my makeup is contaminated.  There was no soot inside the cases, but...

The saddest thing is that we have three clay sculptures -- two are dogs -- and they were pricey.  But they are clay.  We'll take a hit on those.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@rnmom 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

I asked about that.  Getting so many different messages about toxicity.  I was told not to water my houseplants -- not until I removed the top layer of contaminated soil.  Too late.  One of the first things I did was water the plants because I didn't know when we'd be back in the house.

I was told they would die from the soot.  All of them since the fire have new growth and look quite happy.  Go figure.

So today I asked again about outgassing.  If I wash my dishes and store them, will they be toxic later?  Will there be deadly fumes from the items I haven't had "restored?"

The answer was no.  I still don't know if my makeup is contaminated.  There was no soot inside the cases, but...

The saddest thing is that we have three clay sculptures -- two are dogs -- and they were pricey.  But they are clay.  We'll take a hit on those.

@just bee 

That’s odd they should say that your plants will die.  I don’t know

anything about house fires, but forest fires always encourage new growth.  Maybe you don’t have as many toxic substances in your house as they thought.  I would think that non porous items would be safe to clean up and keep.  

My only similar experience is with my guest room.  It’s about 600 sq ft studio apartment off my garage.  The cats use it a lot which means I have litter boxes in there.  For years I kept one of those BBW/Slatkin plug-in thingies in it.  Until one day when I realized that everything, or

most everything, inside had absorbed the fragrance.  Even my plastic food containers.  That was the end of the plug-ins.  Most things eventually lost the smell, but that wasn’t toxic.  I left the windows open as

much as I could.  And I wasn’t living in there while it out gassed.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom 

@aprilskies 

Don’t feel bad about falling short with HEP.  Me too.  But I’ve felt so bad lately that I’ve started to clamp down seriously on my diet.  While I don’t think it’s the sole reason, but I do know eating poorly contributes to my feeling bad.  Duh.  I even stuck to my guns when I went grocery shopping yesterday.  It’s amazing how much less my grocery bill was when I wasn’t buying junk!  There’s some incentive right there.  

I can’t say that I’ve lost more than a pound or two, but I’m more concerned with eating healthy at this point rather than losing pounds.  That can come later when I’ve gotten back in the groove of doing without junk.  It takes a while for those cravings to go away, but this has to be a permanent lifestyle change for me.  It’s a pain in the neck and something I hate, but (as my mother used to say) I’m hurting nobody but myself.

Good luck, you two!  

@geezerette  Thanks for the encouragement! I know that i would feel better if I hate better also but I just seem to be having a horrible time resisting anything sweet. Candy, cookies, if its sweet and it's in the house I want it. I can resist chips and salty snacks, but not sweets lately. I think I'm addicted to sugar too.

I've been trying not to buy a lot of that stuff lately, bui I still have it in the house. I'm trying to get it out and not repurchase a lot. If it's not in the house, I can't eat it. I don't know what else to do right now. 

Respected Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
Thanks everybody. I guess I can't talk about it anymore. I know you all understand. I will see this through. Trying to take it easy.
Long day here, so off to bed.
You all take it easy too. Life is a beach sometimes. 😔

@Brisky -I'm so sorry to hear that your brother is not doing well. Please take care and know that we are thinking of you and are here to talk when you are ready to come back.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom 

@aprilskies 

@aprilskies 

I hear ya.  But after a while, my stress eating just became a habit.  I can get to the point where all I eat is junk, even when I’m not actually hungry.  I stop all that when I feel really bad, but as soon as I start perking up, I go right back to the bad stuff.  

And the sugar is really tough to stop.  I don’t have anything in the house anymore that is sweet, other than a bit of fruit.  But I go around looking for sweet things—even eyeing the hummingbird sugar!😱🤗  

But if I stay off all that long enough, I lose the taste for it.  The worst time is in the stores.  I see and smell all that junk, and I want it.  Plus, it’s fast and easy and I’m lazy.  I hate to cook or prepare food.  And it’s really hard now that I’m doing it only for myself.  And I don’t have anyone here to keep tabs on me either!  😆

I keep trying to tell myself that I’m a grown adult and I’m acting like a child.  It’s ridiculous.  But it’s still hard.  Apparently good health is not enough motivation for me. 😩

@geezerette, yes, it sure is a habit now which makes it doubly hard.    

HAHA, me too.   Who would of thought it would be so hard to stick to healthy.