Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Meditative March

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Meditative March is quite apropos for me.

In a few weeks it will be one year since I have been on my own.  And during that time I’ve given “considered thought” to a lot of things.  Since I’m still here, which is a real surprise to me, I guess I’d better finally grow up because I am now the only one responsible for me.

I was fairly lenient with myself the past year with spending and eating and generally feeling sorry for myself.  But now it’s time to pare all of that down considerably.  Today is a good day to start.

I still have a few purchases that haven’t arrived yet, but my junk food is gone and will remain that way.  The junk food didn’t really taste good enough for the extra weight and “uncomfortableness” I’ve got now.  And I got into the habit of buying gifts for friends and stuff for my animals that none of them really needed.  (Although I’m sure my friends enjoyed my generosity.)  Most of the clothes I bought myself for the warm weather to come, I ended up returning. (Still hadn’t learned that lesson, I guess!)  Anyway, that’s coming to an end too.

I have had enough time to decide that I’m going to stay where I am until Carla is gone, if I can.  The house needs redoing and my cars are old, but I’m better off doing only necessary repairs and staying put than trying to move.  In a few years I’ll probably be ready for a condo only, so I could eliminate an in between move now.  And I'm pretty well set up now.  I’ve gotten rid of a lot of things and arranged things to suit me better.  

It’s not great, but it sure could be a lot worse.  Time to hunker down, be grateful for what I have and how long I may have it.  🙂

@geezerette Your presense on this thread has been a comfort to me. You feel like an old friend (even though it's virtual). I only hope I can be as strong as you if I am ever in the same situation. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

@Oshare-girl 

Aw, shucks.🥰  Honestly, I never thought I could do this.  But I have to say that I couldn’t have without a couple of really good friends.  Funny thing is, we weren’t really close before this happened.  You just never know how things will turn out.

I’m not feeling real strong right now, though.  My car has been in the shop  for the past week, and I still don’t know when I will get it back.  Or how much it will cost.

Then the furnace went out.  Well, actually, just the opposite.  I couldn’t turn the darn thing off!  We have a heat pump, so our a/c and heat is combined.  We’ve had trouble with it for the last few years and the OG was thinking of replacing it a few years ago.  Well, his cheapness won out, so now I have to replace it.  Five figures.  I could have shopped around and gotten a cheaper one for probably half that, but figuring I’m going to stay here for a few years, I’d rather have one that’s more energy efficient and will be more comfortable on me.  So, weather permitting (and I doubt it will), it should be installed next week.

Those are the types of emergencies and decisions I couldn’t make on my own, without my friends.  I can voice my fears and frustrations to my best friend, and coincidentally her husband is a contractor so he can help me with most every type of household problem I have.  While these types of things are nerve wracking, I try to remind myself that I’m extremely lucky that my finances can handle emergencies like this.

Provided, of course, that I don’t go bonkers with my spending on other stuff.  All those “little” purchases add up.  So these past couple of weeks have been good incentive to watch what I blow my money on.  Including what I spend in the grocery store.

Sending virtual hugs to you, my virtual friend! 😄

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Oshare-girl 

You're lucky your cats like to eat the same food.  About the time I think I’ve hit on a kind mine will eat, they decide they don’t like it anymore.  My kitten is about a year old now—I think—so at least I can now feed him the same food as the older cat.  Good thing, because he has decided he won’t eat kitten food anymore!  Thankfully he does finish up what the older, more finicky cat leaves.  So that helps a little.

As far as the dog goes, the stuff I feed her never goes on sale.  I justify the cost by the fact that it keeps her out of the vet’s office.  So far.🤞

@geezerette 

@Oshare-girl 

We still buy Fromm from our local independent pet food/supplies store.  It's expensive, but every 12 bags gets us a freebie.

When we started buying Fromm, the company had a system: Send in 12 proof-of-purchase symbols from the kibble bags and get a free bag.  Now our store keeps track of purchases in their system so I don't have to save or send anything to anyone.

Fromm

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@geezerette Your presense on this thread has been a comfort to me. You feel like an old friend (even though it's virtual). I only hope I can be as strong as you if I am ever in the same situation. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

@Oshare-girl 

Aw, shucks.🥰  Honestly, I never thought I could do this.  But I have to say that I couldn’t have without a couple of really good friends.  Funny thing is, we weren’t really close before this happened.  You just never know how things will turn out.

I’m not feeling real strong right now, though.  My car has been in the shop  for the past week, and I still don’t know when I will get it back.  Or how much it will cost.

Then the furnace went out.  Well, actually, just the opposite.  I couldn’t turn the darn thing off!  We have a heat pump, so our a/c and heat is combined.  We’ve had trouble with it for the last few years and the OG was thinking of replacing it a few years ago.  Well, his cheapness won out, so now I have to replace it.  Five figures.  I could have shopped around and gotten a cheaper one for probably half that, but figuring I’m going to stay here for a few years, I’d rather have one that’s more energy efficient and will be more comfortable on me.  So, weather permitting (and I doubt it will), it should be installed next week.

Those are the types of emergencies and decisions I couldn’t make on my own, without my friends.  I can voice my fears and frustrations to my best friend, and coincidentally her husband is a contractor so he can help me with most every type of household problem I have.  While these types of things are nerve wracking, I try to remind myself that I’m extremely lucky that my finances can handle emergencies like this.

Provided, of course, that I don’t go bonkers with my spending on other stuff.  All those “little” purchases add up.  So these past couple of weeks have been good incentive to watch what I blow my money on.  Including what I spend in the grocery store.

@geezerette 

Sometimes life feels like an agility course.  Sometimes you're the Border Collie and sometimes you're the Basset.

That's when it helps to have a Border Collie friend.  You're our Border Collie here.

Hugs!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@Oshare-girl 

@geezerette 

Sometimes life feels like an agility course.  Sometimes you're the Border Collie and sometimes you're the Basset.

That's when it helps to have a Border Collie friend.  You're our Border Collie here.

Hugs!

Is there something in the water around here?

My facade must be working though.  I’ve fooled you all.  🤫🤗

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Oshare-girl 

You're lucky your cats like to eat the same food.  About the time I think I’ve hit on a kind mine will eat, they decide they don’t like it anymore.  My kitten is about a year old now—I think—so at least I can now feed him the same food as the older cat.  Good thing, because he has decided he won’t eat kitten food anymore!  Thankfully he does finish up what the older, more finicky cat leaves.  So that helps a little.

As far as the dog goes, the stuff I feed her never goes on sale.  I justify the cost by the fact that it keeps her out of the vet’s office.  So far.🤞

@geezerette 

@Oshare-girl 

We still buy Fromm from our local independent pet food/supplies store.  It's expensive, but every 12 bags gets us a freebie.

When we started buying Fromm, the company had a system: Send in 12 proof-of-purchase symbols from the kibble bags and get a free bag.  Now our store keeps track of purchases in their system so I don't have to save or send anything to anyone.

Fromm

@just bee 

@Oshare-girl 

I do the same with a local pet store.  I feed Orijen and the store keeps track of all my Champion products (the parent company, which also makes Acana).  Instead of getting a free bag, they give points for any Champion product purchased and when I get to a certain point, I get money back.  Compared to what I spend, it’s not much, but I’m not about to refuse. 😉

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@Oshare-girl 

I do the same with a local pet store.  I feed Orijen and the store keeps track of all my Champion products (the parent company, which also makes Acana).  Instead of getting a free bag, they give points for any Champion product purchased and when I get to a certain point, I get money back.  Compared to what I spend, it’s not much, but I’m not about to refuse. 😉

@geezerette 

Last time we bought kibble they gave us a "free" bag of treats:

Treats

Amazing crunch.  I'm thinking of trying one.  Probably better for me than Kettle chips.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

Hugs!

Is there something in the water around here?

My facade must be working though.  I’ve fooled you all.  🤫🤗

@geezerette 

Charles Krauthammer said the Border Collie is the smartest species on the planet.  No foolin'.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@Oshare-girl 

@geezerette 

Treats

Amazing crunch.  I'm thinking of trying one.  Probably better for me than Kettle chips.

@just bee 

I used to eat dog biscuits all the time when I was a kid.  

Our pet store has a store brand of dog jerky treats.  The Chicken and Black Bean flavor smells so delicious every dog that enters the house ends up with its nose up against the treat cabinet.  I tried one.  A little bland, but otherwise better than a lot of the human snacks I’ve had.

Trusted Contributor

Ulta sent me a coupon for $5 off $10 purchase.  Of course it was burning a hole in my pocket.  I wanted to try a new L'Oreal concealer and also had a manufacturer's coupon to use.  L'Oreal makeup was on sale, Buy 2 Get 1 Free.  I only needed the concealer, not two more products that would sit in a drawer for who knew how long before I used them or ended up throwing them out. 

I'm so proud of myself, I only purchased the concealer and a $6 ELF blush.  With the two coupons, it was like getting the blush for free and I don't have extra makeup backups laying around.  Yay!  It was a test...could I not purchase extra L'Oreal makeup items just because they were on sale...and I passed!

The ELF blush color Always Cheeky is a peachy-pink matte dupe for NARS "O" blush but without all the glitter in the NARS product.  I kept reading about how the NARS "O" blush was a universal blush color that just about everyone could use.  I just didn't like all the glitter in the product.  I've been using a rose colored blush and I have to admit, the ELF blush is a more natural-looking blush color for me.  I don't think I would've ever purchased this color just looking at it in the packaging because I thought it would be too light for me.   Live and learn.      

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@Oshare-girl 

@geezerette 

Treats

@just bee 

I used to eat dog biscuits all the time when I was a kid.  

Our pet store has a store brand of dog jerky treats.  The Chicken and Black Bean flavor smells so delicious every dog that enters the house ends up with its nose up against the treat cabinet.  I tried one.  A little bland, but otherwise better than a lot of the human snacks I’ve had.

@geezerette 

Separated at birth.

I used to, as a kid, eat Milk-Bone until I found glass and hair in one.  But my absolute favorite was Liv-a Snaps.

Dan

Dan the Dog! Woman LOL