Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Meditative March

@Caffeina wrote:

I just rooted through a box in the basement, and brought up a bottle of B&BW Carried Away shower gel. I think that'll be good to use as hand soap, and I'm sure DH won't mind. There was also a small B&BW bag with a bottle of hair conditioner in it. I vaguely remember giving the matching shampoo to DH to use some years ago. The receipt was still in the bag, four items for $15.00, dated 7/14/06.

@Caffeina 

I still have a lot of B&BW products.  Why?  Well, it all started with a gift card from a coworker.

I hadn't been inside a B&BW store in years and yet I still had this card.  Hmmm.  I guess I'll check out the website, she said to herself...

Again, like with philosophy, I wanted to try a variety of fragrances.  Like at least one of each fragrance sold by the company.

And why not?  The sale prices made it so easy!

My collection of Vanilla Bean Noel will not only outlive me, but it will be the only thing left on Earth -- besides the roaches -- post nuclear holocaust.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

stopped at Chanel yesterday to try a lipstick

now I have 3 things on my wishlist 

but getting rid of lots of clothing and accesories that I don't want or wear anymore so that evens it out right, right?

hmm no spell check on QVC anymore ?

Honored Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

I can so relate to the stash outliving me.  I still can't believe how long my stash is lasting.  All those pitches for auto delivery...ships every 90 days like I was going to need more.  LOL   I decided the other day that I don't ever want to see another 32 oz bottle in my shower.  The urge to buy more, however, is still there.  When it hits, I go and revisit the stash.  Even if I don't leave the house, I made sure I do makeup...just to try and use it up and remind myself why I do not need more.  Happy March, ladies.

@Beauty$Junkie 

This is a crucial point.  Once I got everything out of hiding and could see what I actually had, it made it easier to stop collecting.  As you said, you have to push your chair away from the monitor, stand up, walk to the drawer/closet/spare room/garage/storage unit/rented warehouse -- wherever you have that stash -- and stare at it for a few minutes.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

stopped at Chanel yesterday to try a lipstick

now I have 3 things on my wishlist 

but getting rid of lots of clothing and accesories that I don't want or wear anymore so that evens it out right, right?

@jackthebear 

Right! Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Hello all,

New to this thread and can so relate. I moved last year and could not possibly move my entire stash, so the excess belongs to a friend now. I had multiples of so many things - it was shameful. I still have a lot and agree that it takes forever to go through it, if ever! Absolutely no soaps ( other than good old Dial) and shower gels. It's been at least a year since I made a purchase.

And don't even get me started on eye liners. At least they take up a very small amount of room in my bathroom closet.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Hello all,

New to this thread and can so relate. I moved last year and could not possibly move my entire stash, so the excess belongs to a friend now. I had multiples of so many things - it was shameful. I still have a lot and agree that it takes forever to go through it, if ever! Absolutely no soaps ( other than good old Dial) and shower gels. It's been at least a year since I made a purchase.

And don't even get me started on eye liners. At least they take up a very small amount of room in my bathroom closet.

@queendiva 

Welcome!

Eye liner, huh?

Well, you've come to the right place! Woman LOL

We each have a particular problem area.  Some of us collect eye shadow palettes, some can't resist lip products, some can't say no to shower gels, others can't stick with one foundation or shampoo.

And then there's tea, books, shoes, jewelry...

Honored Contributor

It is to laugh.

Better-half texted me the other night (we rarely text) and asked if I had any black tea.

It's an ingredient in a South African dish he'll be preparing today.

I did a quick inventory in my head and texted two contenders: Big Red Sun (a blend of Ceylon Kenilworth and Kenyan Milima) and English Breakfast.

I was actually surprised, however, that I only had the two.  Sure, I have several flavored black teas, but only two basic blacks?

Progress! Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Meditative March is quite apropos for me.

In a few weeks it will be one year since I have been on my own.  And during that time I’ve given “considered thought” to a lot of things.  Since I’m still here, which is a real surprise to me, I guess I’d better finally grow up because I am now the only one responsible for me.

I was fairly lenient with myself the past year with spending and eating and generally feeling sorry for myself.  But now it’s time to pare all of that down considerably.  Today is a good day to start.

I still have a few purchases that haven’t arrived yet, but my junk food is gone and will remain that way.  The junk food didn’t really taste good enough for the extra weight and “uncomfortableness” I’ve got now.  And I got into the habit of buying gifts for friends and stuff for my animals that none of them really needed.  (Although I’m sure my friends enjoyed my generosity.)  Most of the clothes I bought myself for the warm weather to come, I ended up returning. (Still hadn’t learned that lesson, I guess!)  Anyway, that’s coming to an end too.

I have had enough time to decide that I’m going to stay where I am until Carla is gone, if I can.  The house needs redoing and my cars are old, but I’m better off doing only necessary repairs and staying put than trying to move.  In a few years I’ll probably be ready for a condo only, so I could eliminate an in between move now.  And I'm pretty well set up now.  I’ve gotten rid of a lot of things and arranged things to suit me better.  

It’s not great, but it sure could be a lot worse.  Time to hunker down, be grateful for what I have and how long I may have it.  🙂

@geezerette Your presense on this thread has been a comfort to me. You feel like an old friend (even though it's virtual). I only hope I can be as strong as you if I am ever in the same situation. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom 

Your Scouting sticker shock sounds like me when I buy pet food.  Seems like every time (or at least every other time) I’m looking at food, it’s more expensive than the last purchase.  Even the cheap cat food, which, of course, they won’t eat, so why I even look at it I don’t know.  Seems like I’m shelling out a couple of hundred dollars every month.  No wonder those pet stores keep inundating me with emails.

Hang in there with the creeping crud.  It’s March.  One of these days the weather will break, and then hopefully you’ll be feeling back to normal.  Of course, it won’t be too long after that that we’ll be complaining about how hot it is!

@just bee 

And your blush adventure is one of the biggest reasons I keep telling myself to watch the ordering.  Or should I say the “wants”.  Just the pure hassle and time consumption is enough to make me goofier than I already am.  A lot of my anxieties are self-inflicted.  (Probably all, if I’m really truthful.)  And a good portion of those are from just what you describe.  The whole dance of online purchasing, not to mention the hassle of waiting for delivery, along with all the possible complications that may bring.  I used to love to go to the shopping mall way back when.  Then after a while I started to hate it.  I still hate to shop.  So why am I now doing the same thing online?  I don’t enjoy searching for things on websites any more than I do in a store.  Add to that, oftentimes by the time I receive whatever item I couldn’t live without, I’ve already forgotten about it or no longer want it.

@geezerette 

That poor neglected, abused animal's kibble is $70+ a bag.  I don't even want to think about the cost of his treats.  His vet doesn't understand why I buy the "premium" kibble when he feeds his dogs the well-known national store brand.

We had a freebie can of Fromm and it looked and smelled so good I thought about bringing it to work for lunch.  BH and I considered switching him from kibble to canned until we realized that can is five bucks.

When I was a kid I remember the cans of Strongheart dog food with the picture of the German Shepherd on the label.  Delicious flavors like liver and... horsemeat.  Memory fails, but I swear it was ten cents a can.

Strongheart

Ah, so it was.

Strongheart

Of course I wouldn't feed a dog that today...

About ordering online.  I'm really trying to avoid it unless it's an item I know.  Something like Paula's Choice facial cleanser -- on sale -- is something I will continue to order.

But I'm trying to avoid ordering blush and eyeshadow online.  It's too easy.  Driving to a store and actually looking at and touching the product instead of looking at a picture of it makes more sense.  And the thought of walking into a store is so repulsive that I can usually talk myself out of anything I think I want.

If I could order my scrubs online it would already be done, but because I have to drive all the way across town I'm putting it off as long as I possibly can.

And how often do we add some item to our order just to get the free shipping?  An item we usually won't even use.

And the added bonus: Endless emails from the companies.

@geezerette 

@just bee 

I started doing autoship of cat food and it's been the best thing! I used to buy the animal foods from Target but then I wander the beauty section and that isn't helpful. I also used to buy 2 kinds of food. One for the inside cat and one for the adopted stray outside cat. The stray was starting to look ill. Then we switched her to the same food as the indoor cat and she's all fluffy and perky again! Now I'm looking for a good dog food that I can get on autoship too. DD (dear doggie) just had a dental cleaning and extractions. Yikes, he lost a lot of teeth but somehow he's still about to wolf down his food. The pricey food from the vet just seems like too much after the cost of the cleaning. I also think I can qualify for a discount on Amazon if I add his food to the autoship.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom 

Your Scouting sticker shock sounds like me when I buy pet food.  Seems like every time (or at least every other time) I’m looking at food, it’s more expensive than the last purchase.  Even the cheap cat food, which, of course, they won’t eat, so why I even look at it I don’t know.  Seems like I’m shelling out a couple of hundred dollars every month.  No wonder those pet stores keep inundating me with emails.

Hang in there with the creeping crud.  It’s March.  One of these days the weather will break, and then hopefully you’ll be feeling back to normal.  Of course, it won’t be too long after that that we’ll be complaining about how hot it is!

@just bee 

And your blush adventure is one of the biggest reasons I keep telling myself to watch the ordering.  Or should I say the “wants”.  Just the pure hassle and time consumption is enough to make me goofier than I already am.  A lot of my anxieties are self-inflicted.  (Probably all, if I’m really truthful.)  And a good portion of those are from just what you describe.  The whole dance of online purchasing, not to mention the hassle of waiting for delivery, along with all the possible complications that may bring.  I used to love to go to the shopping mall way back when.  Then after a while I started to hate it.  I still hate to shop.  So why am I now doing the same thing online?  I don’t enjoy searching for things on websites any more than I do in a store.  Add to that, oftentimes by the time I receive whatever item I couldn’t live without, I’ve already forgotten about it or no longer want it.

@geezerette 

That poor neglected, abused animal's kibble is $70+ a bag.  I don't even want to think about the cost of his treats.  His vet doesn't understand why I buy the "premium" kibble when he feeds his dogs the well-known national store brand.

We had a freebie can of Fromm and it looked and smelled so good I thought about bringing it to work for lunch.  BH and I considered switching him from kibble to canned until we realized that can is five bucks.

When I was a kid I remember the cans of Strongheart dog food with the picture of the German Shepherd on the label.  Delicious flavors like liver and... horsemeat.  Memory fails, but I swear it was ten cents a can.

Strongheart

Ah, so it was.

Strongheart

Of course I wouldn't feed a dog that today...

About ordering online.  I'm really trying to avoid it unless it's an item I know.  Something like Paula's Choice facial cleanser -- on sale -- is something I will continue to order.

But I'm trying to avoid ordering blush and eyeshadow online.  It's too easy.  Driving to a store and actually looking at and touching the product instead of looking at a picture of it makes more sense.  And the thought of walking into a store is so repulsive that I can usually talk myself out of anything I think I want.

If I could order my scrubs online it would already be done, but because I have to drive all the way across town I'm putting it off as long as I possibly can.

And how often do we add some item to our order just to get the free shipping?  An item we usually won't even use.

And the added bonus: Endless emails from the companies.

@geezerette 

@just bee 

I started doing autoship of cat food and it's been the best thing! I used to buy the animal foods from Target but then I wander the beauty section and that isn't helpful. I also used to buy 2 kinds of food. One for the inside cat and one for the adopted stray outside cat. The stray was starting to look ill. Then we switched her to the same food as the indoor cat and she's all fluffy and perky again! Now I'm looking for a good dog food that I can get on autoship too. DD (dear doggie) just had a dental cleaning and extractions. Yikes, he lost a lot of teeth but somehow he's still about to wolf down his food. The pricey food from the vet just seems like too much after the cost of the cleaning. I also think I can qualify for a discount on Amazon if I add his food to the autoship.

@Oshare-girl 

You're lucky your cats like to eat the same food.  About the time I think I’ve hit on a kind mine will eat, they decide they don’t like it anymore.  My kitten is about a year old now—I think—so at least I can now feed him the same food as the older cat.  Good thing, because he has decided he won’t eat kitten food anymore!  Thankfully he does finish up what the older, more finicky cat leaves.  So that helps a little.

As far as the dog goes, the stuff I feed her never goes on sale.  I justify the cost by the fact that it keeps her out of the vet’s office.  So far.🤞