Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Meditative March

@River Song wrote:

Ulta sent me a coupon for $5 off $10 purchase.  Of course it was burning a hole in my pocket.  I wanted to try a new L'Oreal concealer and also had a manufacturer's coupon to use.  L'Oreal makeup was on sale, Buy 2 Get 1 Free.  I only needed the concealer, not two more products that would sit in a drawer for who knew how long before I used them or ended up throwing them out. 

I'm so proud of myself, I only purchased the concealer and a $6 ELF blush.  With the two coupons, it was like getting the blush for free and I don't have extra makeup backups laying around.  Yay!  It was a test...could I not purchase extra L'Oreal makeup items just because they were on sale...and I passed!

The ELF blush color Always Cheeky is a peachy-pink matte dupe for NARS "O" blush but without all the glitter in the NARS product.  I kept reading about how the NARS "O" blush was a universal blush color that just about everyone could use.  I just didn't like all the glitter in the product.  I've been using a rose colored blush and I have to admit, the ELF blush is a more natural-looking blush color for me.  I don't think I would've ever purchased this color just looking at it in the packaging because I thought it would be too light for me.   Live and learn.      

@River Song 

Are you psychic or what?  That blush thread on the forum included NARS dupes and I decided to track one down when I run out of my ancient Laura Geller.

So I'm thinking a peachy-pink or pinky-peach would work.  And I like e.l.f. products because their colors are actually pretty flattering.

Must look for this one! Woman LOL

Congrats on the self-control test.  It's not worth having to feel guilty about adding to the stash, then tossing unused product.

I don't even want free samples anymore.  Just more distraction.

How's Mr. River Song?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@River Song wrote:

Ulta sent me a coupon for $5 off $10 purchase.  Of course it was burning a hole in my pocket.  I wanted to try a new L'Oreal concealer and also had a manufacturer's coupon to use.  L'Oreal makeup was on sale, Buy 2 Get 1 Free.  I only needed the concealer, not two more products that would sit in a drawer for who knew how long before I used them or ended up throwing them out. 

I'm so proud of myself, I only purchased the concealer and a $6 ELF blush.  With the two coupons, it was like getting the blush for free and I don't have extra makeup backups laying around.  Yay!  It was a test...could I not purchase extra L'Oreal makeup items just because they were on sale...and I passed!

The ELF blush color Always Cheeky is a peachy-pink matte dupe for NARS "O" blush but without all the glitter in the NARS product.  I kept reading about how the NARS "O" blush was a universal blush color that just about everyone could use.  I just didn't like all the glitter in the product.  I've been using a rose colored blush and I have to admit, the ELF blush is a more natural-looking blush color for me.  I don't think I would've ever purchased this color just looking at it in the packaging because I thought it would be too light for me.   Live and learn.      

@River Song 

Are you psychic or what?  That blush thread on the forum included NARS dupes and I decided to track one down when I run out of my ancient Laura Geller.

So I'm thinking a peachy-pink or pinky-peach would work.  And I like e.l.f. products because their colors are actually pretty flattering.

Must look for this one! Woman LOL

Congrats on the self-control test.  It's not worth having to feel guilty about adding to the stash, then tossing unused product.

I don't even want free samples anymore.  Just more distraction.

How's Mr. River Song?

@River Song 

@just bee 

I was wondering the same thing.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

How's Mr. River Song?

@just bee , @geezerette ,

Mr. River Song is hanging in there.  We had a little bit of a scare after a change in treatment protocol by one of the docs but all is well now.  Caused us both some sleepless nights (from worry) but things have settled down back to 'normal' as normal as things can be when dealing with a terminal illness. 

Even though the docs say he is in partial remission, he's only in remission until he isn't.  Apparently, the chemo pills can lose effectiveness if the leukemia cells become resistant to the pills.  The chemo pills aren't poison but work by inhibiting a protein that the leukemia cells need to live.  When the leukemia cells can't get this protein, they die.  The chemo pills aren't a cure but merely manage the cancer as the type of leukemia he has is aggressive and lethal.  If Mr. River Song stops taking the chemo pills, the leukemia comes back full force.  That's probably way more info than you wanted to know. 

On the one hand, from a purely scientific point of view, it's fascinating that someone developed this chemo pill that treats cancer in a non-poison way.  From a personal point of view, it's terrifying having to wait to see if the pills continue to work the way they are supposed to or not.  At this point in time, if the pills stop working, Mr. River Song is going to die as there isn't another treatment available. 

Like I said, terrifying.  Most of the time, I feel like I can't think straight.  I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@River Song wrote:

@just bee wrote:

How's Mr. River Song?

@just bee , @geezerette ,

Mr. River Song is hanging in there.  We had a little bit of a scare after a change in treatment protocol by one of the docs but all is well now.  Caused us both some sleepless nights (from worry) but things have settled down back to 'normal' as normal as things can be when dealing with a terminal illness. 

Even though the docs say he is in partial remission, he's only in remission until he isn't.  Apparently, the chemo pills can lose effectiveness if the leukemia cells become resistant to the pills.  The chemo pills aren't poison but work by inhibiting a protein that the leukemia cells need to live.  When the leukemia cells can't get this protein, they die.  The chemo pills aren't a cure but merely manage the cancer as the type of leukemia he has is aggressive and lethal.  If Mr. River Song stops taking the chemo pills, the leukemia comes back full force.  That's probably way more info than you wanted to know. 

On the one hand, from a purely scientific point of view, it's fascinating that someone developed this chemo pill that treats cancer in a non-poison way.  From a personal point of view, it's terrifying having to wait to see if the pills continue to work the way they are supposed to or not.  At this point in time, if the pills stop working, Mr. River Song is going to die as there isn't another treatment available. 

Like I said, terrifying.  Most of the time, I feel like I can't think straight.  I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

@River Song 

Now, YOU should get the Border Collie award here, not me.  

I can’t imagine living like that.  I’ve gone through a lot of “shoulda/coulda/woulda” moments the past year, but when I am truly realistic with myself, I’m glad I didn’t know the end was near.  No, we didn’t get a chance to talk about a lot of things, but I know we had talked about a lot of things over the years.  He knew and I knew.  

But I think if I were in your situation, I’d turn right into a babbling baby and ruin the lives of anyone and everyone around me from worry.  I don’t know how you do it.  And you still have enough presence of mind to think about blush.

🙏🕊❤️

ETA:  No, it wasn’t too much information.  I found your explanation of the medication and it’s effects fascinating.  And I’m happy that there is something like that that can give you however much more time you can get.❤️

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette ,

My first husband died in a car accident 30 years ago.  The cops say he died immediately and didn't suffer.

I have to say, dealing with my second husband's terminal illness is way, way worse.  Although DH has suffered through several rounds of heavy duty chemo, he's doing Ok now.  But, when the chemo pills stop working, I think he's going to have a painful, ugly death from something like pneumonia or sepsis as a complication of the leukemia.  This is the part that I fear for him, a painful death and I will have to watch his suffering.  It breaks my heart.

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@geezerette ,

My first husband died in a car accident 30 years ago.  The cops say he died immediately and didn't suffer.

I have to say, dealing with my second husband's terminal illness is way, way worse.  Although DH has suffered through several rounds of heavy duty chemo, he's doing Ok now.  But, when the chemo pills stop working, I think he's going to have a painful, ugly death from something like pneumonia or sepsis as a complication of the leukemia.  This is the part that I fear for him, a painful death and I will have to watch his suffering.  It breaks my heart.

@River Song 

Far be it from me to tell you what to do or think, since I would be a total wreck if I were in your situation.  But I would try very hard not to invite “what if’s” into my mind.

Many years ago, my father was hospitalized for his metastasized bone cancer.  He was in horrible pain that increased by the day.  The hospital couldn’t do anything more for him and they were about to release him when they found he also had end-stage leukemia.  We put him into hospice and they immediately increased his pain medication so that he was comfortable.  And they kept him that way until he passed.  He never suffered.  

I’m quite sure that when/if necessary, you and all of his medical professionals will not let your DH suffer.

Virtual hugs to you also, my virtual friend.  We’re always here if/when you want/need to talk.

🙏🕊❤️

Respected Contributor

@geezerette  @River Song -I think that you both are very strong women and you are both an inspiration to the rest of us. I can't imagine what I would do if I lost my husband or he were facing a terminal illness. Hugs to both of you. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@River Song wrote:

@geezerette ,

@River Song 

Far be it from me to tell you what to do or think, since I would be a total wreck if I were in your situation.  But I would try very hard not to invite “what if’s” into my mind.

Many years ago, my father was hospitalized for his metastasized bone cancer.  He was in horrible pain that increased by the day.  The hospital couldn’t do anything more for him and they were about to release him when they found he also had end-stage leukemia.  We put him into hospice and they immediately increased his pain medication so that he was comfortable.  And they kept him that way until he passed.  He never suffered.  

I’m quite sure that when/if necessary, you and all of his medical professionals will not let your DH suffer.

Virtual hugs to you also, my virtual friend.  We’re always here if/when you want/need to talk.

🙏🕊❤️

@River Song 

@geezerette 

There are some differences between hospice and palliative care but the similarities are support for both patient and family and management of symptoms and pain.

When my mother was in hospice, a musician would visit her, play guitar and sing to her.  She really enjoyed that.

The best thing to do now is to continue to hang on to normal and make this time count.  Beat back the stress and don't let it win.

Like @geezerette says, you can always come here when you need to talk.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@geezerette  @River Song -I think that you both are very strong women and you are both an inspiration to the rest of us. I can't imagine what I would do if I lost my husband or he were facing a terminal illness. Hugs to both of you. 

@rnmom 

Thank you for your kind words.   

I’m sure @River Song would agree with me when I say you don’t know what you’d do in a situation until you’re actually faced with it.  I always knew that I couldn’t live without my OG.  I just knew that if something happened to him I’d turn into dust immediately and go poof!  But, surprise—I didn’t.  You just do the best you can, exactly like you do in your life now.  

But it does help tremendously to have all of you here to “talk” to.  Many days I come in here and get a little chuckle or find out I’m not the only one struggling with a problem, and it perks me up just a bit.  I’m a pretty shy person in real life, and I don’t have a lot of close friends.  But it feels like all of you are my friends.  And it’s nice. 🙂

Hugs to you as well, my friend!  🥰

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

My sister was so impressed by my father’s hospice stay that she became a Threshold singer.  She and a couple of other women go to nursing homes and sing quietly in the background for the hospice patients and their families.  She’s been doing it for many years now and still thinks it’s beautiful.