Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Junk It June!

@just bee 

Yes, indeed.  Moving does s_ck.  Even under the best of circumstances.  More so when it’s forced upon you.

I guess I mentioned patio furniture because I still am using some in my house.  I’ve used patio chairs for years in my bedrooms.  In fact, I had two that I used for so long I actually wore them out.  They were some of the most comfortable chairs I’ve ever had, including the upholstered ones.  And the neat thing about them was that I could fold them up to clean.

@Brisky 

Great minds think alike! 👍

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Yes, indeed.  Moving does s_ck.  Even under the best of circumstances.  More so when it’s forced upon you.

I guess I mentioned patio furniture because I still am using some in my house.  I’ve used patio chairs for years in my bedrooms.  In fact, I had two that I used for so long I actually wore them out.  They were some of the most comfortable chairs I’ve ever had, including the upholstered ones.  And the neat thing about them was that I could fold them up to clean.

@Brisky 

Great minds think alike! 👍

@geezerette 

That patio set my mother bought in 1971 stayed in the kitchen when my sister took over the apartment, then it moved to my mother's new house (to the patio this time) in the early 80s and was probably there until my other sister and her husband had to disposition everything in 2003.  I missed out on that so I guess that's why I'm having to do it now.

We could go totally retro and furnish the rental like a student apartment: Pine shelves and concrete blocks for shelving, a big industrial spool for a table (they have them at the warehouse down the street from the hotel), plastic crates and a turntable for my ancient records -- if they survive restoration.

I'll have to buy a bike and park it in the livingroom.

Wait -- can't do that.  Violates the rental agreement.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
Geezerette is right on to what I was thinking. Rental will be temporary. Don't buy big ticket items now.
Wait and only buy needed items.
This is your chance now. Go without if you can.

@Brisky 

Hey, we were ready to replace our inflatable "guest" mattresses and call it a day before we bought that new mattress yesterday.

We should have done a little more research before we bought it.  I'm looking at it online and now I have to tell BH something about it that he won't want to hear.

The couch we looked at yesterday was gray leather (of course it was) and it looked a tad mid-century.  Like I said, I'm opposed to any heavy furniture that can't easily be moved once it's in the house.  I'm thinking about the items we're having restored and I don't think they'll work well in the new minimalist abode.

No problem.  We just won't invite anyone over.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee---I think........I found us a place that is only 10 minutes away from my house-----now just got get the insurance peeps to ok it and talk to the landlord about the $$$ part-----we have a company, thru our insurance,  who finds places for people during this kind of thing, but they hadn't found us anything in the 3 weeks since they started---am doing their job, too!!  What a huge joke all this is!!?? Yes, I will post my continuing sagaMan Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Found a couch at a reasonable price.  Wasn't gray or mid-century.  Color: Vanilla.

Have no idea what the dimensions are in this rental or if we can even get this thing into the house, but BH says it's not a problem so I'll go with it.

We have one week left in the hotel and the mattress and couch will be delivered next Monday.

Some items will be ready from one restoration crew (electronics and textiles), but many of our electronics did not survive, so I'm really not sure what's coming back.

We'll find out today if the other restoration crew has any of our furniture ready.  If not, we'll have to buy a couple cheap desks to hold the computers.  My desk was the only one of four that was restored and it's an Asian design in dark wood/burl.  May need to be refinished.

Then there's the kitchen.  If our kitchen items aren't ready, we'll need to go shopping again.

But the good news is that the house is in a great location for the dog.  It's near the petroglyphs, the bosque, a big park, a walking trail, his favorite store and his vet.  We should make him do the shopping.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@just bee---I think........I found us a place that is only 10 minutes away from my house-----now just got get the insurance peeps to ok it and talk to the landlord about the $$$ part-----we have a company, thru our insurance,  who finds places for people during this kind of thing, but they hadn't found us anything in the 3 weeks since they started---am doing their job, too!!  What a huge joke all this is!!?? Yes, I will post my continuing sagaMan Happy

@wagirl 

Exactly what happened with us!  The company working through our insurance found two locations in two months.  BH has found at least 30.  He negotiated everything and worked with our adjuster to make it happen.

Ridiculous!  We should NOT have been in this hotel for two months.

What kills me is that insurance and the restoration companies stressed how crucial it was to have items restored as soon as possible because the soot is so corrosive.  Yet many of our items haven't been touched after two months.  I took clothes to a local "launderer" and they came back in a couple days.

If I'd known what we were in for, I would have taken the other clothes to the same place.  And I would have just washed all the kitchenware myself.

It's a scam.  I'm starting to think that many of the items that we threw away could have been saved.

Kinda wish I'd saved some of my Asian art since I had my desk and dragon carpet restored.  At least I think they were restored...

Oh, well.  What's done is done.

Honored Contributor

@just bee---I have to say--that these last 6 months have been more stressful on me than my going thru 5 months of breast cancer, including all the treatments !!! No kidding !!

WE have been fighting over a stupid low adjusters report that only gave us $35,000 to fix the whole roof, 3 bedrooms and full bath and a den---only $35,000 !! Took us prob 4 months of pitching a fit to finally get $89,000 more, which is still too low. We had no damage done like you from a fire--just structual and we could still live here, as my hubs built this house so he knew what to do to get it dried in so we could still live here. A pox on insurance !!!!Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

Kind of funny how we plan our lives around our pets!
They are the main reason I bought this home! They needed at least a half acre to have some fun.

Vanilla couch sounds like it could travel anywhere.

BH, flew out of Denver last night to attend a war buddies funeral. PTSD. could not fight the demons any more.

I hope you all doing well and if not just chill.

Jaded is tough to swallow because as we age we see the truth about life. Get to the point where we are a bit jaded or a lot. I want to see a silver lining somewhere.
Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@just bee---I have to say--that these last 6 months have been more stressful on me than my going thru 5 months of breast cancer, including all the treatments !!! No kidding !!

WE have been fighting over a stupid low adjusters report that only gave us $35,000 to fix the whole roof, 3 bedrooms and full bath and a den---only $35,000 !! Took us prob 4 months of pitching a fit to finally get $89,000 more, which is still too low. We had no damage done like you from a fire--just structual and we could still live here, as my hubs built this house so he knew what to do to get it dried in so we could still live here. A pox on insurance !!!!Woman Frustrated

@wagirl 

All I ask for is consistency.  I don't want to hear a different story every day.  I want to know that what they're telling us is accurate and when we get to the end of all this that we don't end up getting ____ed over.  So to speak.

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
Kind of funny how we plan our lives around our pets!
They are the main reason I bought this home! They needed at least a half acre to have some fun.

Vanilla couch sounds like it could travel anywhere.

BH, flew out of Denver last night to attend a war buddies funeral. PTSD. could not fight the demons any more.

I hope you all doing well and if not just chill.

Jaded is tough to swallow because as we age we see the truth about life. Get to the point where we are a bit jaded or a lot. I want to see a silver lining somewhere.

@Brisky 

I said I'd get "cream" into the house somehow. Woman Wink

Sorry to hear about your husband's trip.  PTSD remains a huge issue with our vets.  I hope the new treatment they've been talking about (stellate ganglion block) makes a difference.  So many of my patients -- both military and non-military -- are diagnosed with it.

Thanks for reminding me about "jaded."  Today's the first and I haven't even posted our new thread!