Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Junk It June!

[ Edited ]

I have to share this story.

I bought a used Subaru Impreza sedan.  It's an adult car.  Conservative design, leather interior.  The paint that I've coveted since the first time I saw it.  That "pearl" finish that looks like an opal when you get up close.

I parked it in the only available spot at the hotel and when I got in it to go to work the other night, I noticed I couldn't see through the windshield.  I had parked near the one patch of grass they have for the dogs at the hotel and the sprinklers nailed my car.  Hard water spots that have to be scraped off.

BH took my car to a car wash.  He walked with me when I left for work so I could see it.  He had backed into the parking spot.  The only spot available.  And the back of my car was wet.

Yes, now the back of my car is covered with hard water spots and I can't see through the rear window.

Just had to share that.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee 

Thanks, Sweetie. ❤️ I’ll admit this time around is much harder because I’m home alone so much now.  No shoulder to cry on or just another person to b*tch to.🤬

I’ll be checking in, but until I can figure out a way to set up my iPad so that it doesn’t aggravate my neck, it will have to be in quick little spurts.  

I’ve been going over all the things I’ve been doing that helped cause this, and most of them are just unnecessary, or plain stupid since I already knew I had problems.

Resist those restaurants!  People are still trying to get me to eat out.  They just won’t take ‘no’ for an answer, will they?  But it is really hard to fix your own meals in a hotel kitchenette.

How did you know I don’t feed Carla junk?😄 

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I bought a used Subaru Impreza sedan.  It's an adult car.  Conservative design, leather interior.  The paint that I've coveted since the first time I saw it.  That "pearl" finish that looks like an opal when you get up close.

I parked it in the only available spot at the hotel and when I got in it to go to work the other night, I noticed I couldn't see through the windshield.  I had parked near the one patch of grass they have for the dogs at the hotel and the sprinklers nailed my car.  Hard water spots that have to be scraped off.

BH took my car to a car wash.  He walked with me when I left for work so I could see it.  He had backed into the parking spot.  The only spot available.  And the back of my car was wet.

Yes, now the back of my car is covered with hard water spots and I can't see through the rear window.

Just had to share that.

@just bee 

When it rains,it pours!💦🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Thanks, Sweetie. ❤️ I’ll admit this time around is much harder because I’m home alone so much now.  No shoulder to cry on or just another person to b*tch to.🤬

I’ll be checking in, but until I can figure out a way to set up my iPad so that it doesn’t aggravate my neck, it will have to be in quick little spurts.  

I’ve been going over all the things I’ve been doing that helped cause this, and most of them are just unnecessary, or plain stupid since I already knew I had problems.

Resist those restaurants!  People are still trying to get me to eat out.  They just won’t take ‘no’ for an answer, will they?  But it is really hard to fix your own meals in a hotel kitchenette.

How did you know I don’t feed Carla junk?😄 

@geezerette 

Because you love her! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Just had to share that.

@just bee 

When it rains,it pours!💦🤣🤣

@geezerette 

I'm in no mood for a monsoon!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

Just have to tell you that I added Good Dog, Carl to the restoration pile.  That book sparks joy.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

Just have to tell you that I added Good Dog, Carl to the restoration pile.  That book sparks joy.

@just bee 

❤️

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies -good job decuttering the makeup! I know it's hard, especially if it's something you like but just don't use. I don't usually have any trouble getting rid of items I don't care for, color, texture, etc. But if it's something I think I might use it's a lot harder. 

That's funny that you mention yard sales, they are very popular up here. My hubby and I actually went out and looked at some garage sales yesterday too. We used to get lots of stuff for the kids at them when they were smaller, clothes like new, toys, etc. but now I rarely get anything. Maybe some books or clothes for work. 

Yesterday I did find a rug for the dogs, some clothes for work, a cheap radio for using outside, some small toys for the kids. Hubby got some fishing reels and a canoe, of all things. I do find some items that I would buy anyway and therefore I save money but I definitely have to be very careful or else it's super easy to bring tons of junk home.

@rnmom, yes, that is what makes it hard, trying to decide what to part with. The reality is that I just dont use mu like I think and it just keeps sitting there unloved. I enjoy it, but I go through phases of using things.  Last night, I took a second pass.  I was able to condense most of it in my train case, I guess it is a medium one, not sure, and have just a few more items that didnt fit that I didnt want to part with.  But, it is jammed in the case and I know that will get to me soon. 

By junk, I just meant stuff. That is the good thing, that at least others can find what they need and use it and for much better prices. Half the time, these things are barely used. I think that is the thing that bothers me about my stuff, it is barely used so others would be getting a great bargain. I was just shocked because some houses just had a mountain of stuff, like clothes for example.  It just made me happy that I really decluttered my own mountain of clothes several years ago.  And just to be clear, there is no judgment from me. I have my own mountains that I have been dealing with. 

I was in that area because I finally went to an estate sale. I saw a desk that I liked, it looked nice in the picture and it was longer than normal.  But, it was much too big for my space and because it was natural wood, it was a bit uneven to preserve the natural beauty.  I like those things to look at but not functional since you will always need something to write on. Plus, I would of never paid what they were asking. I was also hoping to find some wall art.  I dont want to spend a lot on these things any longer but thought if I can find some decent stuff for less. 

This is definitely a journey, but I do feel myself changing a bit. 

Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I plan to do some purging this weekend!  I have been so strict last 2 weeks, no more junk coming in!! That is 60% of the battle, resisting desire to shop. Not buying more stuff I don’t need. My son is 25 and a minimalist- I am learning from him, how little we really ‘need’.  Almost bought an Instant Pot, but no, another big item to store-

Have a wonderful weekend all!  Skye~

@Skyegirl21, I agree, it really is resisting the desire to shop that is the battle for me.  Good job on resisting for 2 weeks. I think I need to do the same. When I get control in one area, another one just picks up.  But at least it is not everything all at once like it use to be. 

I can tell you I bought an instantpot two years ago. Ask me how many times I used it.  At least I finally took it out of the box with good intentiions. I do want to start using it but I just never seem to get around to it. 

RESIST!!!!

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I threw so much away.  There's so much left behind.  It's all the stuff that shouldn't have been in the house in the first place.  It wasn't used.  It wasn't appreciated.  In many cases, I didn't even know it was there.

@just bee, um, yeah!!!!  100%.  

But, I am really reaching a point I think. I am not a minimalist but then again, am I at heart? I am starting to think so.  But, not the kind that keeps count and has 50 items. I need what I need, even want what I want. It is just hard to get there when you already have it. If that makes sense.

I keep my desk at work streamlined.  I love it. I started doing this last year. I just got sick of the clutter. I just cant think.  So, now I walk in and just love seeing it clean and streamlined. I need home to feel the same way. 

I agree with you on changing tastes. It has happened to me these last couple of years. It is one of the reasons I am no longer willing to spend good money on something that I might tire of, at least until I get my head straight. I have always gone with the classic dark wood furniture but it seems I really just want lighter aesthetics. ...and I want furniture I can move without struggling.