Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Junk It June!

Best wishes going out to everyone who is struggling and facing difficulties right now. I've had my fair share of rough times, but I haven't lost a spouse so I don't have any words of wisdom to pass on. 

@just bee -sounds like you're back to work now.  Still in the hotel? I don't know how you're doing that for over a month, that would be driving me nuts. Any idea how long before you guys will find a rental to stay in? Any new developments?

My June junket is going ok. HEP still isn't perfect by any stretch, but it has been a lot better this past week. I have no idea if I've dropped any weight, but I feel less bloated so that is a plus. I've really just tried to cut down on portion size, cut back on junk food and get out and walk a bit more. Baby steps.  

Beauty wise, I did make a purchase this past week. My eyebrows are thinning so I ordered some oil to use on them to see if it will help them grow. I also ordered an Amazing Grace Fragrance dupe. It hasn't arrived yet, I think it's supposed to be here Tuesday. I'm really curious to smell it and see how it compares to the real thing. 

I tossed a small bottle of micellar water that I didn't care for that I was just trying to use up. Figured if I didn't like it I might as well just get rid of it. 

Went thru my son's shorts and found 2 pair to toss and 6 pair to donate, along with 1 shirt. 

That's my Junk It so far, how is everyone else doing?

Respected Contributor

@just bee, @geezerette ,I sincerely appreciate you both giving wisdom and help. The Doors humor is brilliant!  I’ll try..  The guy does take care of his health and I don’t think there is a physical issue here. Possibly it’s changes, other than that (his Dad had Alzheimer’s) .  In our past together, I have seen glimpses of this behavior, but it has absolutely increased.   

Right now, I am going to try to keep talking to him, look for help and modeling patience-

My personal foundational rule is that I intend to enjoy my life and no one is going to disturb that- He can go ahead and be enraged over silly things like traffic. Its hard. Thank you again. 

Hoping all, especially River and Birdie are able to find peace amid the turbulence also- 💐

Super Contributor

I am still decluttering and I'm still overwhelmed by stuff.  I know I had a lot of stuff but it's just now sinking. I'm going to give Purple Heart a call to pick up furniture that I'm not using.  The only things I've regretting is giving away my books and a pendant of the Blessed Mother.   

Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21 -I think I can partly understand what you are saying. My hubby doesn't act the same as when I met him over 20 years ago.

When we met he was 23 years old, still in college, didn't really have a care in the world. I was 27, out of college, divorced, living on my own, working, dealing with a dad who was dying of cancer. 

Now, after more than 20 years, he's been teaching for all that time, dealing with obnoxious kids and parents, we have 2 kids of our own, a house, and all the responsibilities that come with all of the above. 

He definitely has a shorter temper, snaps at the kids a lot, swears a lot and gets really snippy. I know I lose my temper too, everyone does, but I try not to over react like he does and be mean. 

I've sat down with him several times over the years and talked about it. I've even talked about leaving because I don't want to live like that. It's not a threat, just a fact. I have my limits too. We've kind of come to an agreement that if he's getting too out of control I need to let him know, because he doesn't really even see it half the time. He's asked me to let him know to try to reel him back in.

Would your husband be open to something like that? 

Respected Contributor

@kitty45 -I know that it sure can be overwhelming at times when you're sorting thru every little thing, but keep at it, and sooner or later you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't even know how much I've gotten rid of over the last 10 years or so. But honestly, I can only think of 1 o 2 things that I've missed too. It will get better! 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Best wishes going out to everyone who is struggling and facing difficulties right now. I've had my fair share of rough times, but I haven't lost a spouse so I don't have any words of wisdom to pass on. 

@just bee -sounds like you're back to work now.  Still in the hotel? I don't know how you're doing that for over a month, that would be driving me nuts. Any idea how long before you guys will find a rental to stay in? Any new developments?

My June junket is going ok. HEP still isn't perfect by any stretch, but it has been a lot better this past week. I have no idea if I've dropped any weight, but I feel less bloated so that is a plus. I've really just tried to cut down on portion size, cut back on junk food and get out and walk a bit more. Baby steps.  

Beauty wise, I did make a purchase this past week. My eyebrows are thinning so I ordered some oil to use on them to see if it will help them grow. I also ordered an Amazing Grace Fragrance dupe. It hasn't arrived yet, I think it's supposed to be here Tuesday. I'm really curious to smell it and see how it compares to the real thing. 

I tossed a small bottle of micellar water that I didn't care for that I was just trying to use up. Figured if I didn't like it I might as well just get rid of it. 

Went thru my son's shorts and found 2 pair to toss and 6 pair to donate, along with 1 shirt. 

That's my Junk It so far, how is everyone else doing?

@rnmom 

Going back to work was good.  One step closer to "normal."  Still living in the hotel.

BH is finding rentals online and the company that's supposed to be finding us a place to live isn't.  He sends them information, they do nothing with it and the places get rented out to other people.

Fine.  If the insurance company wants to spend $60K on this hotel room, that's their choice.  Makes no sense to me.

I bought a car yesterday and then we raced across town for an open house on a rental.  No one was there.  Another waste of time.

So for now we're hotel dwellers.  It's weird, but there are perks.  I have a shorter commute to work. 

Good job on HEP.  Minor tweaking will help develop new habits.  What really helps is changing your palate.  I can't eat the super salty or super sweet processed foods I used to eat.  I've noticed I don't crave that stuff anymore.  Like @geezerette  says, she actually feels herself getting sick after eating some foods.

That was the hardest thing after the fire.  We had to depend on restaurant food and take-out for a couple days and we were both ill.  We ordered Cobb salads from a nearby place and they were inedible.  How do you screw up a salad?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

@just bee, @geezerette ,I sincerely appreciate you both giving wisdom and help. The Doors humor is brilliant!  I’ll try..  The guy does take care of his health and I don’t think there is a physical issue here. Possibly it’s changes, other than that (his Dad had Alzheimer’s) .  In our past together, I have seen glimpses of this behavior, but it has absolutely increased.   

Right now, I am going to try to keep talking to him, look for help and modeling patience-

My personal foundational rule is that I intend to enjoy my life and no one is going to disturb that- He can go ahead and be enraged over silly things like traffic. Its hard. Thank you again. 

Hoping all, especially River and Birdie are able to find peace amid the turbulence also- 💐

@Skyegirl21 

That's a good rule. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

I am still decluttering and I'm still overwhelmed by stuff.  I know I had a lot of stuff but it's just now sinking. I'm going to give Purple Heart a call to pick up furniture that I'm not using.  The only things I've regretting is giving away my books and a pendant of the Blessed Mother.   

@kitty45 

Don't regret parting with your books.  That was a gift.

In my case, my books are sooty and smell like smoke and they'll end up in landfill.  That's absolutely criminal and it's my fault for not donating them before the house burned.

Hopefully today will be the last day I'll be in the house.  If not today, then tomorrow.  But I intend to make final decisions today and say goodbye to all the things I've collected for the past 50 years.

Let it go while it's still a choice.  Don't wait until you're forced to do it.

Honored Contributor

I had to go to the bank and the insurance company yesterday to set the stage for buying my car.  I stopped by the house to check the mail and take a quick look at the property.  I didn't go inside.

Today I have to go back in and I'm dreading it.  But I'm also looking forward to not going back in again.  I want to be done.

The only thing that's pushing me to head over there is the yard.  I have to water everything today.

But first... gotta walk the dog.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my, @jjust bee... You have just been through a home fire? How awful for you- I am soooo sorry to hear this- It sounds like you’re slowly putting life back together- How traumatic it all must be.  I hope you have a support system. I’m embarrassed... here I was complaining about my minor stuff-  I’m sorry...

Im glad to hear you have a dog, and you’re both ok- They are so wonderful-