Frequent Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Junk It June!

River Song...I feel your pain. My husband is starting chemo for the third time Friday. I am emotionally exhausted all the time, but work hard to be positive for him. And reading forums like this helps me get my mind off our worries, 

Respected Contributor

Sorry to here this River Song and ByrdieK. Take it easy on yourselves and rest when you need to. Sending a hug your way. Sometimes life is so hard and it just stinks. You can rant together, with us when you need to.☺ That's why we're here...
Trusted Contributor

Ladies, I received my first shingrix shingles shot yesterday afternoon and now I feel poorly. I have a terrible headache and feel achy and tired--my arm hurts too. Has anyone else experienced this?

My husband had his shot at the same time and feels fine.

Trusted Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Ladies, I received my first shingrix shingles shot yesterday afternoon and now I feel poorly. I have a terrible headache and feel achy and tired--my arm hurts too. Has anyone else experienced this?

@Squirrel Lover ,

Yes, I've heard that some people have the same reaction that you are having.  It goes away in a couple of days.

I've been trying to get my first shot of Shingrix for a year.  None to be had in my area, everyone keeps saying come back in a month to see if we got any in.  They never do.

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

Well, June has started with a bang for us.

DH got fever Sunday morning, took him to the ER, they admitted him, ran all the tests and cultures, didn't find anything to cause the fever.  Gave him lots of fluids and antibiotics, he felt fine on Monday and they discharged him on Tuesday.  Geesh.  The Docs think it was just a random virus that is normally killed by the body in healthy individuals.  Since DH has leukemia, is on chemo and has virtually no immune system left, random viral/bacterial infections could potentially kill him if not dealt with swiftly.

This is the sixth time he's been in the hospital for a random fever in the past two years (not including the other four major hospitalizations).

I fear the random infections that come out of the blue the most.  This is what is going to kill him in the end.  Every time he gets one of these fevers, I wonder, is this the end?

My nerves are shot.  DH feels fine, tired because he got no sleep in the hospital, glad to be home.

Good thing I got the insurance coverage issue taken care of last week.

I feel like I'm always treading water, barely keeping up.  And I'm getting tired.  Ugh.

@River Song 

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.  I remember when my mother was dealing with Alzheimer's: Every day I'd wake up wondering what hospital I'd be at next.  Every time the phone rang my stomach would tighten up and I'd be filled with dread.

It's always "what's next?"  And you get scared and tired and angry and then all you can feel is guilt.  Guilt for being scared and tired and angry.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@ByrdieK wrote:

River Song...I feel your pain. My husband is starting chemo for the third time Friday. I am emotionally exhausted all the time, but work hard to be positive for him. And reading forums like this helps me get my mind off our worries, 

@ByrdieK 

Welcome!  I hope you visit us often.  You need to take a little time to decompress.  The role of caregiver is one of the most difficult.  But you set the tone.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
Sorry to here this River Song and ByrdieK. Take it easy on yourselves and rest when you need to. Sending a hug your way. Sometimes life is so hard and it just stinks. You can rant together, with us when you need to.☺ That's why we're here...

What she said!

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

@Squirrel Lover 

Oh, no -- shingles!  Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse than chickenpox...

Shots are tricky -- it isn't unusual to have a reaction.  I felt like I'd been hit by a bus after a tetanus shot.

Honored Contributor

@River Song 

@ByrdieK 

I can’t imagine the stress that you two are suffering.  The long term, never ending tension.  And as @ByrdieK says, you try not to show it and be strong and positive for your loved ones.  Sure, I had my fair share of it too, but it was a limited time, not like what you’re going through.

I think it’s hard for us who are not going though, or haven’t gone through, what you are to quite understand.  Not only do you have your husbands so ill, but you still have to deal with all the little daily nuisances in life that stress us all.  And do that by yourself, too.  Sometimes life just doesn’t seem fair.

You know you can scream and cry here anytime you need to, if you want.

🙏🕊❤️

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

@Squirrel Lover 

Oh, no -- shingles!  Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse than chickenpox...

Shots are tricky -- it isn't unusual to have a reaction.  I felt like I'd been hit by a bus after a tetanus shot.

That’s what I’m afraid of.  My doctor doesn’t push the flu vaccine, but he does think the shingles and pneumonia vaccines are worth it.  But I’m so sensitive to any kind of medication, I’m afraid I’ll have a nasty reaction to both.  So, for now, I’m taking my chances.  But I know he’ll bring it up again at my next visit.