Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Junk It June!

I know and it was old and ugly!
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
I'm ready. Lets jump through June!
Does anybody know where I can give approximately ten gallons of old paint too? The previous owners left them in shed out back. My husband and I had it professionally painted from garage, ceilings, doors and walls when we bought it. We went with white for garage and ceilings and trim. The walls are egg shell now. It was dark green when we bought it. What to do with all that gross dark green paint?

@Brisky 

I had a bunch of old paint that my friend took to our county recycling center.  You’d probably have to check who in your area takes it.  It also may depend on whether it’s old enough to have solidified too.

BTW: I’m glad you’re feeling better.  I read your posts in the other thread and was going to comment over there, but I guess I never did!  Duh.🤪

Trusted Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
I'm ready. Lets jump through June!
Does anybody know where I can give approximately ten gallons of old paint too? The previous owners left them in shed out back. My husband and I had it professionally painted from garage, ceilings, doors and walls when we bought it. We went with white for garage and ceilings and trim. The walls are egg shell now. It was dark green when we bought it. What to do with all that gross dark green paint?

If it's latex paint I'd trash it. Where I live we're supposed to open the can so it dries out, then throw the can with dried paint in it out with our regular trash.

Respected Contributor

I have never opened them. They will find a new home very soon.
Yes, I am leaving the yard to DH. Thanks I am feeling better!
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@@just bee wrote:

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Junk it June! 💝💝

Everyday, get rid of a few things that are unused for years- 

Why, why do we keep stuff, that isn’t used?  

@Skyegirl21 

Have you been talking to my Better-half?

It's taking me forever to sift through all the items in our house after last month's fire and I find myself leaving most of the things behind.

As BH says, if it hasn't been used in 25 years, what makes you think you're going to start using it after it's been restored?

Wish I had listened to him and donated everything before the fire.

@Skyegirl21 

@just bee 

My Old Geezer never cared what or how much I bought—IF I used it, whatever it was.  He never could understand why I would buy more of something that I didn’t ever use.

Just putting that in print seems so logical.  But somehow it’s difficult to put into practice.

@geezerette 

The not using is strange and, boy, am I guilty of it.  So many clothing items still with tags.  Saving so many things instead of actually using them.

Saving them for what?

BH looked at the holey shirt I was wearing last night and he told me to go to the house in the morning and select a T-shirt from the piles I'm leaving behind -- the boxes of shirts that sat unused for years -- and throw the holey one away.

He's half-joking: I really don't need to pull a shirt from the piles -- I just brought several to the cleaners.

But I did part with that shirt this morning.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Well... I was hoping we'd be done with the house by now but that's not the case.  Hoping I'd have a car and a rental to live in, but that's not the case, either.

BH showed me more used cars online last night and every time I'm faced with choices I shut down.

I'm making as many as I can right now.

Must head to... the house.  I'll water the singed roses when I get there.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Well... I was hoping we'd be done with the house by now but that's not the case.  Hoping I'd have a car and a rental to live in, but that's not the case, either.

BH showed me more used cars online last night and every time I'm faced with choices I shut down.

I'm making as many as I can right now.

Must head to... the house.  I'll water the singed roses when I get there.

@just bee 

What happened to the white car that was supposed to come down for you to check out?  And BH, did he get his vehicle?

You can only do what you can only do.  A rental you might have to make compromises on, but that will only be temporary.  Might be a long temporary, but you know it’s still not forever.

A car, though, hopefully will be around a while.  And you’ll be using it every day.  It needs to be something you can live with and be happy with.  Take your time.  You don’t want to regret that decision later on.

I think you’ve been doing fabulously with all the decision making.  And, even more impressive, all that you have managed to pitch.  BH should be satisfied with all that for a long time. If you make too many decisions, he might drop over from shock. 😱😄

Honored Contributor

I haven’t been getting rid of stuff because my dh finds it too upsetting.I think I will try a small project like a desk drawers first and see how that goes.We have hoards of notebooks and pens...really not needed but what to do with them.I hate filling the dump so I just hang on .... I might run across someone that needs the stuff.I like to find a new home for my things so they will get some use and not become pollution.

Respected Contributor

Start of a brand new month always feels like a clean slate. I am going to try and make this month count. It feels like every month just blends with the last and I am no further along in where I want to be.

HEP will be my main priority. @RNMom, I am not giving everything up either, just going to try and be healthier.  This morning I already exercised on my portable elliptical and went for a relatively short walk, but I moved. And I plan on going for a longer walk later on today if it doesnt rain, otherwise I will use one of the many things I have that I never or barely used. Woman Embarassed

This month I am also going to focus in getting my paperwork organized, @geezerette, made me jealous and I am also going to work on sorting my pictures. I am not sure when I became the holder of a lifetiime of these memories but I would like to share them with everyone. I am sure they all will appreciate them.  This will be a slow process as there are a ton of them and I am not willing to spend all of my time doing this either.  But even if I just accomplish paperwork, that really will clear some cobwebs. 

I think I need to infuse some light hearted fun somewhere. I think I have been missing that. I will start by going to the park again.  We have a beautiful one and I loved it last year. It has been a bit humid but I can at least try to go for walks there and just take in the beauty. 

Have a nice Saturday, Everyone. 

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I haven’t been getting rid of stuff because my dh finds it too upsetting.I think I will try a small project like a desk drawers first and see how that goes.We have hoards of notebooks and pens...really not needed but what to do with them.I hate filling the dump so I just hang on .... I might run across someone that needs the stuff.I like to find a new home for my things so they will get some use and not become pollution.

@dex 

Notebooks, pads of paper, bound diaries, journals, planners, sketch books, stationery, cards...

Paper and pens o' plenty.  And now it's all covered in soot. Woman Sad

All my stuff = pollution.  Again, talk about a "carbon" footprint...