Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

@just bee,  Thanks for the reminder.  I only have one thing to replace—my toothbrush head.  But I’m going to wait a few days until I feel like I’ve gotten over whatever has been trying to invade my body.  I don’t feel really bad right now, but something is definitely trying to get me, so I don’t want to change brushes now, only to have to do so again in another few days, when (hopefully!) I’m well. 

That’s one problem with not having a stash of things—I only have one toothbrush head left right now.  Have to pick up more on shopping day.  I think that qualifies as a “necessity”!🦷😄

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee,  Thanks for the reminder.  I only have one thing to replace—my toothbrush head.  But I’m going to wait a few days until I feel like I’ve gotten over whatever has been trying to invade my body.  I don’t feel really bad right now, but something is definitely trying to get me, so I don’t want to change brushes now, only to have to do so again in another few days, when (hopefully!) I’m well. 

That’s one problem with not having a stash of things—I only have one toothbrush head left right now.  Have to pick up more on shopping day.  I think that qualifies as a “necessity”!🦷😄

@geezerette

That's how I feel about switching right now.  I'm putting it off for a few more days.  If I don't stop coughing by Saturday, I'll consider it a permanent condition and just break open the new stuff and be done.

At least the mucus has moved on...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

So...

A dog walks into a butcher shop and the butcher asks, “What do you want?”

The dog points to steak in a glass case.

“How many pounds?”

The dog barks twice.

“Anything else?”

The dog points to some pork chops and barks four times. So the butcher wraps up a two-pound steak and four pork chops and places the bag in the dog’s mouth. He then takes money from a purse tied around the dog’s neck and sees him out.

A customer, who has been watching in amazement, follows the dog to a house several blocks away where it rings the doorbell to be let in.

As the owner appears at the door, the customer says, “What a remarkable dog!”

“Remarkable?,” snorts the owner. “This is the second time this week he’s forgotten his keys.”

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I placed another order with Amazon the other day for items for the kids and hubby and added on a large bottle of the unscented lotion that I use and a couple of tubes of acne gel (one for me, one for older son) as I am just about out. I am trying to do this and pick up things here and there when I'm already ordering something else, so that I won't overspend and buy a bunch of things I don't need.

Between my birthday and Christmas I did get $100 in Ulta gift cards, which I LOVE, but I am trying to hold onto them for at least a month or two because I don't need $50 worth of stuff right now. Probably in a couple months I will be ready to place an order for some staples, mascara, face wash, etc and maybe I can find a treat or two at that time. If I can hold out. I'm hoping to hold out for at least a little while, but it sure is tempting. 

My BBW order arrived the other day too. Now I am definitely set on lotions, shower gels, body sprays for the upcoming year. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Between my birthday and Christmas I did get $100 in Ulta gift cards, which I LOVE, but I am trying to hold onto them for at least a month or two because I don't need $50 worth of stuff right now. Probably in a couple months I will be ready to place an order for some staples, mascara, face wash, etc and maybe I can find a treat or two at that time. If I can hold out. I'm hoping to hold out for at least a little while, but it sure is tempting. 

@rnmom

You can do it! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

A Poodle and a Collie are walking down the street when the Poodle suddenly unloads on his friend.

“My life is a mess,” he says. “My owner is mean, my girlfriend’s having an affair with a German Shepherd and I’m as nervous as a cat.”

“Why don’t you go see a psychiatrist?,” suggests the Collie.

“I can’t,” says the Poodle. “I’m not allowed on the couch.”

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy New Year,  Everyone! 

Loving the jokes!!

I had this long post written out and deleted it. It was all over the place.  I cant quite articulate what I am feeling on so many levels so I will keep it short for now.

I have decided on not doing a no-buy year, a low buy year or creating a budget. I have tried following these in the past only to break my self-imposed rules.  I also dont want my focus to be on NOT buying, which is really just the reverse. ...and quite frankly, I am just over trying to deny myself something I may want.  Honestly, I dont know if that makes me worse or keeps my spending from being 3x worse.  I do want to manage my buying manias.  They are bad.  So, I think I am going to instill a 7 day, 2 week or month delay on things I am jonesing to buy.  So many times I buy something and then a few days later, I wonder why I bought it.  And while I return some things, I dont return any longer. If I buy it then it is on me. I hate returning things.

Makeup- no more compulsive makeup buying. I have enough to last quite awhile. If I want a certain shade of eyeshadow I dont have, I will buy a single or a small palette or mix a couple of colors I already have and see what I come up with.  I, too, @oshare-girl got jealous of @just bee, lol, I want a small collection. I actually sat down to try and declutter most of it and just couldnt do it. I did toss a few products.  I am going back to creating makeup baskets and I will start to declutter what I dont actually enjoy. No sense in trying to use up products I dont enjoy while my "fresher" ones are getting stale.  And no, I havent been enjoying my eyeshadows, I have barely touched a stitch of mu in at least a month if not a month and a half. But this is my MO.

Skincare - no more until things are used up. I bought two holiday sets of no 7.  I found them on sale at walgreens after Christmas for 30 bucks each. They had a day and night moisturizer, mask, cleanser, makeup remover, and a few small deluxe sizes of things.  After finishing my mositurizer I didnt like what replaced it and these were too good to pass up. I dont know I am overly thrilled with the moisturizer but it is fine for now and I will use them. These sets and what I already have, I should be set for the year.  So, I shouldnt have reason to check out beauty items.

HEP - for the month of January I am giving up sweets/desserts.  So far, so good. I am not doing no sugar, I am not reading labels, but this is a good start. I have gained even more weight over the holidays. I estimate now I have about 26 lbs to lose. I just have to be mindful I dont replace sweets with other things, like even nuts which are calorie dense.  Anyway, I have found that having heavier meals works best for me, so I need to do some meal planning.

Decluttering - I will start to focus on this again more. I have been doing some here and there but I really what to right size not only my diet, but my surroundings.  It is time. I will do this slowly but consistently.  @rnmom, I will follow your declutter thread. I did follow it last year but didnt post. I will join you as I have things.

Okay, I guess this isnt a short post. LOL, but at least it wasnt my first one. phew. some days there is just a lot to say.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

I had given my sister a selection of teas when she visited and she's been reporting on her favorites.  She likes Vanilla Comoro which I bought because I'm a vanilla fan.

For some reason I didn't like it.

This week I tried it with heavy whipping cream.  It's quite nice with heavy whipping cream.

Then again, what isn't?

Honored Contributor

A guy spots a sign outside a house that reads, “Talking Dog for Sale.” Intrigued, he walks in.

“So, what have you done with your life?” he asks the dog.

“I’ve led a very full life,” says the dog. “I lived in the Alps rescuing avalanche victims. Then I served my country in Iraq. And now, I spend my days reading at a retirement home.”

The guy is flabbergasted, he turns to the owner and asks, “Why on earth would you want to get rid of a dog like this?”

The owner says, “Because he’s a liar! He never did any of that.”

Honored Contributor

There's a thread about beauty purchases and mindfulness.  All I know is that I'm going to try to avoid the free shipping and BOGO traps.

What's the point of buying more of something to "save" when you discover what you've purchased is something you just don't like?

Unless it's an item that I use -- a staple -- I'm not going to stock it.

Case in point: I bought three jars of Lumene sleeping cream because I thought I needed a night cream.  I don't really care for this.  It's heavy and it smells weird.  If I use this, I'm not using all the freaking oils I've bought.

Now I'm stuck with three jars.  Yeah, it was a good price at the time.  But it's a lousy price if it's something that shouldn't have been purchased in the first place. 

I do like Lumene's Glow Reveal -- and that's getting hard to find.  This sleeping cream is not a substitute.  Two very different products.