Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

I saw a couple robins today.  Early spring?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

We have a couple of painted buntings coming to our bird feeder:

Image result for painted bunting bird photo

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@just bee wrote:

We have a couple of painted buntings coming to our bird feeder:

Image result for painted bunting bird photo

@River Song

Now there's a reason to stay in Florida.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Must share.  I'm a pig.

Let me rephrase that.  I'm a boar.

Really doesn't help, does it?

Since I got such a slow start to 2019 I've decided to start all over with the Chinese New Year in February.

H&S

Better-half, too, is a pig-boar.  My mom and sister as well.

(No, I haven't ordered this tea even though I want that tin.)

Honored Contributor

A Dachshund walks into a telegraph office, picks up a blank form and writes: "Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof."

The clerk looks over the paper for a minute before telling the dog, "You know, there are only nine words here. You could add another 'Woof' for the same price."

The Dachshund shakes his head at the clerk in disbelief. "But that would make no sense at all."

Honored Contributor

I wonder if Superman ever put glasses on Lois Lane’s dog and she was like, “I’ve never seen this dog before. Is this a new dog?”

Honored Contributor

What happens when you cross a rooster, a Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle?

You get a Cockerpoodledoo.

Respected Contributor

@just bee- i'm all in for Frugal February. We had a huge tax bill we paid in December and we have a big insurance bill due in March, so I'm not interested in spending any unnecessary money until April or so. I don't know if I'll be able to swing it or not, (or if I can keep hubby from spending) but that is my plan. 

That was part of my plan for January too and overall I feel like we did pretty well. We did have to buy a few things besides groceries and dog food of course, necessities for the house like furnace filters and light bulbs, and all the boys got haircuts. But overall I don't think we really ended up spending on anything really frivilous. The only beauty item I bought was my $1 nail polish.

I haven't spent either of my Ulta gift cards yet, but it was tempting. I really wanted to get a couple of the jumbo hair care items that were on sale in January but I'm just getting started on a set right now and figure they'll last me a few months, so I managed to hold off. I'm trying to wait and see how long it will take me to actually run out of stuff before I get more. I'm usually buying backups before I run out of something, but I'm trying not to do that this time. 

The interesting part is that while I'm slightly tempted to buy, the urge isn't great and has been relatively easy to ignore. I'm actually kind of looking forward to seeing how long I can go without having to get something new. Seeing how much money I can potentially save if I just use up what I have here. It was kind of nice to end January a couple of bucks ahead because we weren't shopping. What an interesting concept!

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

The interesting part is that while I'm slightly tempted to buy, the urge isn't great and has been relatively easy to ignore. I'm actually kind of looking forward to seeing how long I can go without having to get something new. Seeing how much money I can potentially save if I just use up what I have here. It was kind of nice to end January a couple of bucks ahead because we weren't shopping. What an interesting concept!

@rnmom

That's become my new hobby.  I get up and plan my errands and then I spend the rest of the day talking myself out of leaving the house.  I was supposed to go to Costco yesterday because it was the last day for their "coupon book."

I looked at the list of items we "needed" and decided we can go just a little longer.  Like kitchen trash bags.  We've been out of them but I keep finding stray bags to use.  I keep bags in the car so when we pick up pizza I can put a barrier on my lap between me and the steamy hot, greasy pizza.  Since we're off pizza, I have two more bags and can put off shopping that much longer.

The only thing I might need is a haircut but I've already gone three months and I'm at that stage where I'm thinking I can let it grow.  Which is usually a bad place to be.

I think BH was in the same situation recently.  He cuts his own hair -- usually just shaves it all off.  But he was just letting it go for some time and I started to notice that his beard was getting extraordinarily long and thick.  And his hair had developed Einstein wings.  One day he walked into the room and said:

I look like a ...

KOALA

And he did!  He has since trimmed everything but it'll all be back.  He can grow a beard in 15 minutes.

Honored Contributor

What’s the best part about living in Switzerland?

Not sure, but the flag is a big plus.