Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jaded July

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee -I am glad that you are getting settled into your rental and that you got some of your items back from restoration. Another baby step back to normal.

Any news on how the house rebuild is going? Any surprises when you got your restored items back? 

@rnmom 

I'm still trying to figure out all the wall switches in this house.  Our house faces east; this house faces west.  I got up and took the dog to the yard this morning and the sun was rising in the backyard instead of the frontyard.  This means that the bed isn't going north/south.

Weird.

I'll be heading over to the house today to water the yard and check on the houseplants on the patio.  It's been hot here so I expect to see some suffering.

BH called our contact person on the rebuild and his phone message says he'll be back in the office on August 15.

That's another month of zero progress.  The house should have been torn down by now.  They pushed us to get things out of it so they could start their work and so far all they've done is pull out the kitchen cabinets and move them to the other room.

Good thing we like this rental.  We might be here for a long time.  Unfortunately, it will cost us.

The restoration?  We haven't examined everything so we don't even know if all the items we gave them came back.  At this point I don't even care.  They showed us two items that were broken: A small fish- shaped plate and a hurricane glass from Hard Rock Cafe.  I don't even know which city.

They took the leather briefcase back to their ozone room because they felt it still smelled smoky.  Nothing else smells all that smoky to me.  They said the silk and wool would be a challenge, but the Aran sweaters and silk items seem fine.  Now I'm wondering why I gave them so many "dressy" clothes to restore.  They filled all three closets!

Probably a good thing that I parted with as much as I did.  When we started unpacking, looking for our pans and dishes, we ended up repacking a lot of items to store in one of the rooms here.  I'm not even sure if I want to unpack my roosters.  Will these cabinets support the weight?

Now I think I know why the restoration crew was adamant about restoring our cabinetry.  Ours is pretty darned solid.

I love the wood floors in this house but now we're seeing the advantage of carpet.  The house's constant echo, the tap-tap-tap of the dog when he walks across the floor, the continuous wiping up.  The floors aren't easy to maintain.

But it looks like we'll have plenty of time to figure out what we want to do with our house. Woman Mad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Okay, I confess.  You caught me. 🤗

I do have to admit that now that she’s almost “middle-aged” (she’ll officially be four years old next month), she’s finally calming down a lot more often.

Then she’s pretty cool. 🥰

@geezerette 

She must be a Leo.  A Virgo wouldn't have cobwebs on her face.

@just bee 

Actually, her birthday is August 29.  

I told you she isn’t normal. 😳🤪

@geezerette 

Maybe that's her way of keeping her outside toy collection tidy.  Using her sniffer as a Swiffer.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

I do have to admit that now that she’s almost “middle-aged” (she’ll officially be four years old next month), she’s finally calming down a lot more often.

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

Maybe that's her way of keeping her outside toy collection tidy.  Using her sniffer as a Swiffer.

@just bee 

🤣🤣

You’ve met her!  

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

🤣🤣

You’ve met her!  

@geezerette 

She has one cute sniffer!  How do you resist those eyes when she looks at you -- and whatever you might be eating?

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@geezerette -Carla is beautiful, even with cobwebs on her nose!

@rnmom 

Thanks.  She’s a goofball.  🤪

But a pretty goofball.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

🤣🤣

You’ve met her!  

@geezerette 

She has one cute sniffer!  How do you resist those eyes when she looks at you -- and whatever you might be eating?

@just bee 

Unfortunately I don’t.  That’s why she weighs 100 lbs.  (I keep telling people she’s big-boned.)  

She has her semi-annual checkup next week.  I’m kind of afraid to get her on the scale.  We’ve both been overindulging lately.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

@just bee 

Unfortunately I don’t.  That’s why she weighs 100 lbs.  (I keep telling people she’s big-boned.)  

She has her semi-annual checkup next week.  I’m kind of afraid to get her on the scale.  We’ve both been overindulging lately.

@geezerette 

We've been trying to keep WGD's weight down but he seems to stay in the 74-75 range.  He looks thinner these days, but no weight change.

I've had vets in the past who were always harping on weight.  It finally hit home when I had to live with a diabetic dog.

He's staring at me.  Time for a walk.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

We've been trying to keep WGD's weight down but he seems to stay in the 74-75 range.  He looks thinner these days, but no weight change.

I've had vets in the past who were always harping on weight.  It finally hit home when I had to live with a diabetic dog.

@just bee 

I know what you mean.  My vet has a scale of 0-9, nine being obese.  Carla always falls at a 5.  Even that makes me feel bad.  But then, all my animals seem to fall at at 5 according to him.  Hmm. But a four would be tending toward being too thin, so I recognize his theory is faulty.  

However, I do know that Rotties tend toward fat, especially as they age, more so than other dogs.  And now I know why.  They eat everything, and I mean everything!  

I’m not just trying to fudge when I say Carla is big-boned.  She would be a big dog no matter what.  She’s dense and massive, and tall too.  Right now she’s fine.  But I do have to keep her under control now that she’s getting older because of the myriad of problems too many pounds cause for older, larger dogs.  Good thing she likes veggies.

Better take that advice myself, since too many pounds cause problems for people too as they age.  I better learn to like veggies, too! 😄

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee 

I’m curious—do you still use Konjac sponges?  

I ask because I’m highly disappointed in the ones I’ve gotten lately.  My last order was sometime last year and I got a set of five (a brand I haven’t tried) that were highly rated.  Although I like them, one ended up dissolving into a shredded mess after just a few weeks of use.  Which made the set more expensive, not to mention unreliable.

So I opened the EcoTools sponges I also had bought, and I was highly disappointed in those too!  About 2/3 the size of what I had been getting and no string.  I’ve used four of the six of those I ordered, and just yesterday (again after only a few weeks of use) one of those shredded in my hands while I was using it!

Have you experienced anything like this?  I’m about ready to finish up using the ones I have and then forget about them and go back to using a plain old washcloth. 😤

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

@just bee 

@geezerette 

@just bee 

I know what you mean.  My vet has a scale of 0-9, nine being obese.  Carla always falls at a 5.  Even that makes me feel bad.  But then, all my animals seem to fall at at 5 according to him.  Hmm. But a four would be tending toward being too thin, so I recognize his theory is faulty.  

However, I do know that Rotties tend toward fat, especially as they age, more so than other dogs.  And now I know why.  They eat everything, and I mean everything!  

I’m not just trying to fudge when I say Carla is big-boned.  She would be a big dog no matter what.  She’s dense and massive, and tall too.  Right now she’s fine.  But I do have to keep her under control now that she’s getting older because of the myriad of problems too many pounds cause for older, larger dogs.  Good thing she likes veggies.

Better take that advice myself, since too many pounds cause problems for people too as they age.  I better learn to like veggies, too! 😄

@geezerette 

WGD's getting more walks because he doesn't have the big yard where he can run around, chase lizards and play Frisbee.  I know I feel better when I'm not toting around extra pounds so I figure he feels better, too.  A neutered male gets chubby fast so we have to keep an eye on him.  But no matter what we do, he's sort of stayed the same according to the scale.

But his harness is loose.  Good sign, I guess.