Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jaded July

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

... I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately.  Well, for quite a while actually.  I’m kind of coming to the conclusion to go back in time.  Years ago, we didn’t have all these choices, or money, to buy and own so much stuff.  So, we bought locally, used what we had until it was gone, and if we couldn’t find replacements, we did without until we could.  Seems like it might not have been as much fun, but I do remember it was less stressful.  I’m not liking being a slave to stuff.  Which is how I’ve come to feel.

Like the Konjac sponges.  (Oh, by the way, I forgot to say that one of my EcoTool sponges also got moldy, which never happened before either.  Another reason not to become wedded to a product.  Not enough consistency in anything anymore.) 

When it comes down to it, none of this stuff is that important in my life.  At least, I’d like it to not be that important.  I’ve made it that way.

@geezerette 

Exactly!

I really think that ordering online has become a problem.  Sure, it's great when you can get something that's not available locally, but when you order something and you're thinking about its delivery and anticipating its arrival, it's almost as if you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Oooh!  I got a package!

And then...

We get that little rush and then it's over.  On to the next order!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Good to focus on the fun part.  Your new neighborhood sounds delightful!

I’ve had a little fun myself lately, in between the ice packs, physical therapy exercises and doctor visits.  

Carla’s Auntie has been fostering for our local animal shelter.  Lately, she’s had several litters of abused puppies.  The last bunch were so bad off they had been one of those stories they put on the news. A horrible situation.  A Golden Retriever mix mother and eight puppies all left in a small crate in deplorable condition.  So bad that even after round-the-clock vet care only three of the puppies and the mother survived.  Puppies were three months old, but you’d never know they were Retriever-Shepard crosses.  Tiny and malnourished to the extreme.  And the poor things didn’t even have the instinct not to poop and pee in their crates.  They had to be taught even the rudiments of being dogs.  

But they learned and grew quickly with the proper attention and food.  Some of both I was happy to volunteer!  Oh my gosh, were they cute!  So much fun to watch them blossom and bloom into happy and well-adjusted little pups.  By the time they were ready to leave, no one would have ever guessed the horrible way they started their lives.  They were transported out of state for adoption, because—unbelievably—the owner wanted them back!  The shelter didn’t want to take the chance that she might get them.

So, that’s my fun story.  Somehow animals can always make you feel happy.  Or totally frustrated.  Or completely stupid. 😉

@geezerette 

Puppies

Until they learn the ropes and then they're magnificent!  How cool that you were a part of it! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Deja vu is right. I just purged a garbage bag from my closet and donated it this afternoon. All the stuff was barely worn but I didn't like the material and the bright colors. 

I MUST stick to my color palette!!!

I get so frustrated with myself sometimes. I have reduced everything in my house and life that I don't need, but I still struggle with clothes. I think it is a scarcity issue for me. I fear not having enough, which is stupid because if I needed something I can always order it!

@Squirrel Lover 

That's the problem!  Most of us don't really know what colors we should be wearing.  I'm just starting to get a feel for the colors I prefer and I've been eliminating some colors and patterns and opting for solids.

What took so long?

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee -I agree with you too about sticking with some inexpensive products that work. I also use the Suave Almond and Shea butter shampoo and conditioner and I really like it, even more than the expensive, professional brands that I've tried. I actually picked up a bottle of Salon Selectives from the dollar store the other day to try, but I haven't gotten to it yet though. 

Like I mentioned, I've been trying to shop for cruelty free items and some are very reasonably priced, and some are not. I will always opt for a cruelty free item when the price is comparable to a non cruelty free brand, but I'm finding so many times that the "cruelty free" item costs 3-4 times as much as the non cruelty free item. That's where my dilemma comes in. I want to support cruelty free, but I cannot justify paying some of the outrageous prices some of these companies are charging. 

But I do definitely want to start shopping more locally and ordering less online. I need to pay more attention at the dollar store and the local stores to see what items are available. 

@rnmom 

I was moving in that direction, too, but some of the companies' websites have become insufferable.

It's kinda like my blood donation tee shirts.  I'd get free shirts -- such a deal.  But now it just feels like virtue signalling wearing them in public.  I didn't save my collection and only have a couple that I'm sleeping in now.

I'll use future points on Target gift cards, instead.  I'll buy that Raw Sugar stuff.  Cruelty-free and cheap.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

... I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately.  Well, for quite a while actually.  I’m kind of coming to the conclusion to go back in time.  Years ago, we didn’t have all these choices, or money, to buy and own so much stuff.  So, we bought locally, used what we had until it was gone, and if we couldn’t find replacements, we did without until we could.  Seems like it might not have been as much fun, but I do remember it was less stressful.  I’m not liking being a slave to stuff.  Which is how I’ve come to feel.

Like the Konjac sponges.  (Oh, by the way, I forgot to say that one of my EcoTool sponges also got moldy, which never happened before either.  Another reason not to become wedded to a product.  Not enough consistency in anything anymore.) 

When it comes down to it, none of this stuff is that important in my life.  At least, I’d like it to not be that important.  I’ve made it that way.

@geezerette 

Exactly!

I really think that ordering online has become a problem.  Sure, it's great when you can get something that's not available locally, but when you order something and you're thinking about its delivery and anticipating its arrival, it's almost as if you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Oooh!  I got a package!

And then...

@just bee 

My problem lately has been, “Oooh!  I got a package!”  Then I open it, and I’m disappointed.  I end up po’d because I have to either return it or live with something I don’t really like (and usually end up tossing or donating) and having to pay for it.  If I was able to see and touch that same item in a brick and mortar store, I’d be much less likely to buy it to begin with.  My problem is that I just don’t have access to stores.  

That’s why I need to start doing without if I can’t get what I want.  And stockpiling items that have been discontinued is ridiculous.  If it’s not gonna be around anymore, I’m going to have to find something else to replace it sooner or later anyway.  Totally illogical.  

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@geezerette 

Exactly!

Oooh!  I got a package!

And then...

@just bee 

My problem lately has been, “Oooh!  I got a package!”  Then I open it, and I’m disappointed.  I end up po’d because I have to either return it or live with something I don’t really like (and usually end up tossing or donating) and having to pay for it.  If I was able to see and touch that same item in a brick and mortar store, I’d be much less likely to buy it to begin with.  My problem is that I just don’t have access to stores.  

That’s why I need to start doing without if I can’t get what I want.  And stockpiling items that have been discontinued is ridiculous.  If it’s not gonna be around anymore, I’m going to have to find something else to replace it sooner or later anyway.  Totally illogical.  

@geezerette 

I'm trying to limit orders to things that I know and use on a regular basis.  Like the dog's "bags."  What did I grab after the house burned?  "Pick up" bags.  And we went through all but one roll in two months!

BH ordered another box of 1000 and they arrived today.

I'll probably continue ordering tea but I'm going to think twice before I order beauty items.  Might even have to give up those sponges.  (Mold?  Ewwww!)

And I'm going to stop fretting over discontinued items, too.  I'm sure one day Maybelline will discontinue my mascara and I'll just have to find something else.

Respected Contributor

@just bee - I don't generally go to individual websites unless I'm looking for something specific, so I guess I don't see a lot of what you're talking about. My online purchases generally come from Ulta, Vitacost or Amazon. 

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

@rnmom 

I limit my online ordering to a few sites also.  And I’ve cut way down on ordering anything I’m not sure I’ll use.  Sticking to just replacing what I already have.

My latest online failure was Skechers.  I realized why they call them Skechers: each pair is sketchy as to whether they’ll fit or not.  I took a chance and got a couple pair a few TSVs ago and they’re great.  I was glad I had them when I broke my toe because they were the only shoes I could get on and I need a full shoe for the chiropractor.  Anyway, when they had another TSV just recently in almost exactly the same style I thought I’d get a couple more pair (stocking up!).  I should have known it would be too good to be true because those were too tight and hurt my back.  So, another return.  And lesson learned—yet again.  Hopefully my last return will be just that—my last return.

I just have to remember that my skin care and clothing changes with the seasons.  I need more of both in colder weather, so I need to remember not to start tossing everything I’m not using at any particular moment because I might need it at another time during the year.  The “last year” rule works pretty good, I think.  Or maybe two years.

See?  Fudging already! 🤣🤗

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee - I don't generally go to individual websites unless I'm looking for something specific, so I guess I don't see a lot of what you're talking about. My online purchases generally come from Ulta, Vitacost or Amazon. 

@rnmom 

That's probably smart.  Just got an email from Acure -- their products are now sold on Ulta's site.  Doesn't look like everything is available (didn't see hair products) but I'd just decided that I'm done with that brand.

But if I change my mind and decide I want to buy their products again, I can get them locally at Sprouts and Natural Grocers.  One thing I will say about a company's website is that occasionally there's a really good sale.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@rnmom 

See?  Fudging already! 🤣🤗

@geezerette 

It must be in our DNA. Woman LOL