Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Frugal February

@River Song wrote:

I thought of a frugal tip.

I am the coffee drinker in the house, DH likes tea.  We have a Cuisinart coffee maker that has five buttons across the front and one is for Bold coffee.  I don't like strong coffee so have ignored this button the entire time we've had the coffee maker.

A few days ago, it occurred to me that I could use less coffee grounds if I pressed the Bold button when I started the brewing cycle.  It worked!  Coffee the way I like it and saving money by using less coffee per day.  Why didn't I think of this before?! 

@River Song

Fabulous! Heart

When I was a coffee drinker (most of my life) I spent a small fortune on the stuff.  I liked a strong mug of coffee and tended to use a lot of coffee per pot.

I discovered, when I gave up coffee and switched to tea, that I repeated that pattern with loose tea.  I actually had to give up loose tea and revert to bags and sachets to save money.

But I draw the line when it comes to reusing tea bags.  It would make more sense, I imagine, to brew a pot instead of individual mugs, but my mugs are quite enormous and I often like to switch up my teas.  I've already had two different ones this morning and am ready to brew a third.

Saving money on something you use every day is genius! Woman Very Happy

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@River Song

My washer limped along and then stopped working when I was washing my scrubs.  I dug them out, put them in a plastic bag and headed to the laundromat.

I still wasn't ready to commit to a new machine so I spent additional time in that laundromat.  I'm fortunate that there is still a place to do laundry on this side of town.

If you haven't been in one of these places in a few decades you will be mortified to see how many quarters are required per load.

We ended up with a cheap Amana.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@River Song

@rnmom

Speaking of which (bone-crushing expense), don't get me started on health care.

I just hope that any national conversation we have about it includes the staggering abuse of our system.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I have a cure for insomnia.  Acupuncture.  I admitted to my chiropractor that I can’t sleep much at all anymore, drugs or not, and he suggested I try acupuncture.  

So I did.  

And it worked.  

As he was inserting the fifth needle, I went out like a light.  Passed right out. Fainted dead away.

Had a nice nap while I was out.  

But I still can’t sleep at night.

@geezerette, you need a few of those needles before bed to put you right out. 

@geezerette

Or a glass of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo with a little linguine...

@just bee

That was the OG’s cure for anything!😄

I wish I could handle it.  Anything alcoholic just gives me a huge migraine—something else I already have in abundance!🤕

@geezerette

The tannins in red wine can trigger a migraine but so can the tannins in black teas.  Since I consume both, I don't think my problem is tannins.

I find my headaches are linked to dehydration.  Alcohol and tea are both dehydrating so I have to be sure to drink plenty of water.

The combination of alcohol and sugar is a trigger as well.  As I've aged, I've gravitated towards dry reds and away from anything sweet, including mixed drinks and hard liquor.

I used to favor bourbon and a well-crafted Manhattan but those days are just a fond memory now.

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:
The good news is that DH's oncologist said he's in partial remission.  This is huge because DH's cancer is aggressive and lethal and we both thought he would be dead by Christmas, as did his oncologist.

@River Song

Fantastic news. Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:
@River SongYes, I have NEVER hit pan on any blush, highlighter, or eyeshadows. Those three things are just impossible for me to use up.
That L’Oreal Fresh Wear foundation sounds great. I will have to look into it. My go-to foundation (Cover Girl Ready Set Gorgeous) have been discontinued. So, once I finish the tube, I have to find something else.
My frugal tip is that I rarely buy any fashion or beauty items unless they are on sale. Retail prices for those items are marked up too high. If you wait, they always go on sale.

@momoftwo2007

That's insanity, isn't it? Woman LOL

Speaking of powder shadow and sale prices, Walgreens is having a 3 for $10 sale on wet n wild 10-pan palettes which I need like a compound fracture.

My first job out of college was working for a discount book chain.  I learned two things:

1. Never pay full price

2. The publishing industry should be ashamed of itself

Honored Contributor

Brrrr.  We've had a couple bitterly cold nights here in the high desert and I spent most of Thursday night apologizing to my patients for the temperature in the decrepit building where I work.

Just let the dog out and it feels like 17 degrees. 

An interesting development in New Mexico.  We currently have two bills to consider.

One to change to standard time year round and one to change to daylight saving year round.

What would be your preference?

Honored Contributor

With February 14 approaching, one of our frugal tips here at the hive:

BH and I don't exchange gifts on holidays or birthdays.  We gave it up years ago and neither of us miss it.

Honored Contributor

I spotted that bald eagle in the bosque again! Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@just bee- Speaking of February 14, several years ago I asked my husband to stop wasting his money on Valentne's day gifts and cards for me too. But instead, I would send him to Walmart the day AFTER Valentine's day to buy me some half price chocolate. I would still get treats, but I'd get twice as much for the same amount of money. 

We went grocery shopping yesterday and I had a coupon for buy a box of chocolate, get one free. So I did that this year instead. I still got 2 half price boxes of chocolate and now he doesn't have to make a special trip out.