Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Frugal February

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl@just bee, Yes, I have not being able to sleep really for years. But, I just recently changed my bed, I have cut out caffeine at night, trying to do some stress relief, etc etc and I think it does help some and but hasn’t completely solved everything. I think I need to let go of a lot of things that swirl in my head and that is the hardest thing to do.  I have even tried some prescriptions from the doc and they dont work.  It is not fun when you are not well rested.  I wouldn’t mind as much if i didn’t have to work. 

So many people suffer from it, it is a mystery.

@aprilskies

Is there a pattern?  Like, can you sleep on your days off and not as well on the days you work?

I had to research sleep for a nursing school project and bought one of those sound machines to test.  Not bad.  But I can fall asleep with the TV on.

@just bee, there is and the one you mentioned is just one of them.  I do like the place I work but do you ever just get tired of being told what to do?? Woman LOLWoman LOL    The rest of my "issues" I am working on them one by one.

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies yeah, wind chills were down to 30 below zero and that was after the snowstorm that gave us about 8 inches of snow. No one could even leave the house for about 3 days. School was cancelled for almost the whole week. It was horrible. We are in the woods and the front of our house faces west and there is a lake in front of us, so the wind blew across the lake and right into the front wall. 

We did build a lot of fires but it barely took the edge off. It was just too cold and windy, it wasn't enough to keep the furnace from running almost constantly. I live in Michigan, not the north pole, and our houses weren't built to withstand that kind of cold temp.

Then it got warm (it was in the 40's the last couple of days and felt downright balmy) and the snow melted but now there's standing puddles everywhere and it's supposed to freeze again today. Then they're calling for freezing rain and ice to start tonight and go into wednesday, thursday and friday. I'm not sure how I'm going to get into work the next 2 days.

I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to drive in it, that is definitely the worst. And I like it less the older I get. It's not quite so bad if you don't have to leave the house.

I know that crazy groundhog predicted an early spring but we're sure not seeing it here. I'd love to be @just bee and starting to see the flowers and trees bloom. We don't usually see that until April. Did I mention I'm ready for spring?

@rnmom, brrr.  No way would I want it that cold and I think NJ was spared from the brutal weather so far, fingers crossed, however, the last couple of days it has been in the 50's/60's and all I can say is I am missing the colder weather. I would like the weather to stay consistent, not anything below zero, but consistent. Truthfully, I dont like being hot anymore and I was enjoying the cold, so needless to say, as  so many people were enjoying the warmer weather, I just want winter to last a bit longer.  But this winter has been brutal for so many and I dont wish that on anyone.

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies- Good luck decluttering the bathroom! I know it's hard tossing unused items and seeing all that wasted money go straight into the trash. I've been there! But it's still better than having a bunch of old products staring you in the face every day. If you think it's something you will use in the future then by all means, keep it. But if not, let it go!

@rnmom, thanks.  I totally agree, I am so sick of looking at this stuff everyday and knocking  things over to get to others. After my first major skincare/mu declutter a few years back, I vowed to try and use things up but I just dont work that way. I never use them. I am just a low mainetance type of person.  ..and I really dont want to use all of these different types of products on my face. it is time to right size my skincare. I am looking forward to this weekend. I am going to pull everything out and just be brutal.  The money is already wasted and the anxiety over these things is not worth it. I will just never use certain things. 

Just with the products I have gotten rid of so far, I am loving the feeling when I open my cabinet. it is a joy/calming reaching for things.

One of my goals this year is to simplify my life as much as I can.  So, I am starting with the thiings that have been causing me unnecessary stress.  

Respected Contributor

Frugal tips, hmmm, borrowing books from the library instead of buying them.

I still buy books if I really want them, but, I dont want to own too many books again. I am on a mission to read some of the ones I have kept and declutter them as I go. It is not going well.  I dont read as often as I would like.

Plastic bags, if I use the freezer bags to freeze bagels/english muffins or whatnot, I try and reuse them. Sometimes I get tired of the clutter, I keep them to the side, and then toss but I do try and reuse where it makes sense.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl@just bee, Yes, I have not being able to sleep really for years. But, I just recently changed my bed, I have cut out caffeine at night, trying to do some stress relief, etc etc and I think it does help some and but hasn’t completely solved everything. I think I need to let go of a lot of things that swirl in my head and that is the hardest thing to do.  I have even tried some prescriptions from the doc and they dont work.  It is not fun when you are not well rested.  I wouldn’t mind as much if i didn’t have to work. 

@aprilskies

Is there a pattern?  Like, can you sleep on your days off and not as well on the days you work?

I had to research sleep for a nursing school project and bought one of those sound machines to test.  Not bad.  But I can fall asleep with the TV on.

@just bee, there is and the one you mentioned is just one of them.  I do like the place I work but do you ever just get tired of being told what to do?? Woman LOL The rest of my "issues" I am working on them one by one.

@aprilskies

I'm tired of explaining what happened and why I did what I did! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a cure for insomnia.  Acupuncture.  I admitted to my chiropractor that I can’t sleep much at all anymore, drugs or not, and he suggested I try acupuncture.  

So I did.  

And it worked.  

As he was inserting the fifth needle, I went out like a light.  Passed right out. Fainted dead away.

Had a nice nap while I was out.  

But I still can’t sleep at night.

Honored Contributor

I’ve been wondering if perhaps I shouldn’t be so frugal.  If I hadn’t kept all this stuff over the years because I was too cheap to get rid of it, I wouldn’t have to be dealing with it now.  

And fugality (or laziness) can sometimes backfire.  In an attempt to consolidate my “beauty” routine, I quit using most of what I had been and opted for one product.  It worked wonderfully for about two weeks.  Then my face started getting rough, dry and flaky.  I fussed with this and that, then finally went back to my good old standbys.  Problems solved in two days.  So add me to the camp that is tired of experimenting.  

Frugal tips?  I can’t think of any.  I just do what seems sensible to me.  Except for those areas that I have no self-control.  🤗

Honored Contributor

Oh, and HEP has been going poorly.  It’s no longer what I eat that is the problem. It’s become how much I eat, even of the “good stuff”.  I’ve been blaming it on the antidepressant, but I’m not taking a high enough dosage for that to apply.  

But it’s a convenient excuse. 😄 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I have a cure for insomnia.  Acupuncture.  I admitted to my chiropractor that I can’t sleep much at all anymore, drugs or not, and he suggested I try acupuncture.  

So I did.  

And it worked.  

As he was inserting the fifth needle, I went out like a light.  Passed right out. Fainted dead away.

Had a nice nap while I was out.  

But I still can’t sleep at night.

@geezerette, you need a few of those needles before bed to put you right out. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

@just bee, there is and the one you mentioned is just one of them.  I do like the place I work but do you ever just get tired of being told what to do?? Woman LOL The rest of my "issues" I am working on them one by one.

@aprilskies

I'm tired of explaining what happened and why I did what I did! Woman LOL

@just bee, exactly. The funny part is my brain does really want simple anymore. We have gotten, and still getting, so complicated, but do we really need 6 steps when 3 will do. I am so lucky in that I am not micromanaged, but I cant keep up with all the changes. It is just not fun.