Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Frugal February

[ Edited ]

Oh, cr@p.

Harney & Sons has their Hot Apple Spice on sale and I told my coworker I'd order her a bag of sachets when the price was right.

Grrr. Woman Mad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

@Oshare-girl

Speaking of tea... red rooibos is also supposed to be helpful (no caffeine).

I finished off my Pumpkin Spice and African Autumn so I might pick up some more (sale).  May even try the rooibos version of Hot Cinnamon Spice.

I drink herbal/non-caffeine tea when I'm transitioning to a night schedule.

People who work nights die younger -- especially if they switch back and forth between lark and owl schedules.  I'm a lark and I'm doomed. Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I ordered some tea.  Now... how do I justify this?

1. Promised coworker I'd get her a bag of apple tea and it's on sale.

2. Replacing three teas that are regulars in my tea rotation: African Autumn, Pumpkin Spice, Black Currant.

3. I already have tins for Black Currant and African Autumn so I can refill them from my bag of sachets thereby improving tea organization (oh, there's a stretch).

4. Ordered herbal version of Hot Cinnamon Spice.  Three of the teas I ordered are red rooibos.  I'm investing in my health (whoa -- talk about stretches).

5. I ordered Black Currant as my workday black tea since I'm out of Paris and Vieux Paris and will be running out of Victorian London Fog soon.

6.  I only ordered sale items.

7. I earned more tea points.

8. I order from Harney & Sons 4 to 6 times a year; perhaps I can reduce orders to once a quarter/season (or less).  This is order #1.

9. I only ordered teas that can be considered reliable and drinkable.  They will be used.

10. I require tea to live.  It's therapy in a mug.  A very large mug.

Mental gymnastics on display! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Just had a thought.  Last month, for Jest January, I posted jokes.  What if I post tips for frugality?

Better yet, what if we all contribute tips?

I'll start with things we already do.

1. Plan your menu for the week and shop accordingly.  BH can create a plan by using what we already have so sometimes we only need to shop for a few extras.

2. I bring a lunch to work.  Consistently.

3.  Find recreational activities that don't require a ticket for admission.  Walks, hikes, free exhibits.  I like movies, meals and drinks at home. Woman Very Happy  (I'm taking advantage of TCM's schedule this month.)

Your turn!

Honored Contributor

Wow!  I bought a new jar of vitamins -- Kirkland's Mature-Multi -- and noticed a packaging change so I compared labels.  Whoa -- quite a change in daily percentages!

Another tip:

Read the labels! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Aaaarrrggghhh!

What I probably looked like ten minutes ago when I discovered our neighborhood Merle Norman Studio was closed.

We were out with the dog running some errands and drove past the Merle Norman that had been there forever and the sign was gone.

I just checked online and the good news is that there's a location not far from us... so did they just move?

I need to get out more.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl - yes, I have tried melatonin and it had the opposite effect on me.  I just tossed it out yesterday as I decluttered my old medicines and vitamins. 

@Oshare-girl@rnmom, besides the quality of clothing, I struggle with those things also, not liking how I look in clothing right now and not wanting to buy more just because. It is probably what makes me leave everything at the store. However, I am really liking the color pants that have been around for the last couple of years. So, I am going to try and use that for a little motivation.  the funny part is I never thought I would get colored pants again. 

Yes, decluttering your makeup items to a box is a great idea. I truly would love a smaller mu collection and at the end of the year, I will see if I can lets stuff go.  It will depend on my mood. 

And yikes @rnmom, below 30 degrees.  And you are out in the woods a bit right. Was that worse for you and your family? Did you build plenty of fires?

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl@just bee, Yes, I have not being able to sleep really for years. But, I just recently changed my bed, I have cut out caffeine at night, trying to do some stress relief, etc etc and I think it does help some and but hasn’t completely solved everything. I think I need to let go of a lot of things that swirl in my head and that is the hardest thing to do.  I have even tried some prescriptions from the doc and they dont work.  It is not fun when you are not well rested.  I wouldn’t mind as much if i didn’t have to work. 

So many people suffer from it, it is a mystery.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday, I did organize some. I finally even got to my medicine cabinet and cleared out old medications and vitamins, The medications are one thing but it was really my last lesson with vitamins, I dont always take what I think and in the garbage it went. I guess that is just life but I will try and not do that again. I know I could of thrown out more but maybe I will do another round. 

I also decluttered my bathroom cabinet.  I had no intentions and when I was brushing my teeth before bed, I started pulling things out. I only did the middle section but painful. Soooooo many products barely touched but it was time for them to go. I dont know if they were all bad but I know one turned, others I will never use, etc etc. And the biggest of all, I am so tired of looking at it all. I think I am going to start using it and never do. It is time to just keep items I am going to use. However, what a waste of money.  This weekend I am going to pull eveything out and be more realistic and take advantage of my mood.  It really is cringeworthy when I could of had something nice for all that went in the garbage.  And that was only the start. I also pulled just a few from the bottom cabinet. Things I know were expired and such.  This weekend I will go in deep. 

I have noticed I scrimp where I shouldn’t and crazy spend where I should scrimp. It really is crazy. 

Skincare is on the chopping block. This will give me even more reason not to buy more until I go through what I have. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl@just bee, Yes, I have not being able to sleep really for years. But, I just recently changed my bed, I have cut out caffeine at night, trying to do some stress relief, etc etc and I think it does help some and but hasn’t completely solved everything. I think I need to let go of a lot of things that swirl in my head and that is the hardest thing to do.  I have even tried some prescriptions from the doc and they dont work.  It is not fun when you are not well rested.  I wouldn’t mind as much if i didn’t have to work. 

So many people suffer from it, it is a mystery.

@aprilskies

Is there a pattern?  Like, can you sleep on your days off and not as well on the days you work?

I had to research sleep for a nursing school project and bought one of those sound machines to test.  Not bad.  But I can fall asleep with the TV on.