Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Frugal February

@just bee wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

I have done OK this month. Ordered one item on clearance from HSN that was $12.00 incl. s/h. Reduced what I bought here. Made 0 beauty purchases anywhere.

Did pick up some very small Needs at Home Goods for my kitchen reno which is underway as we speak. I hope it will be close to completion by the end of the week.

My CC tells me I did better in Frugal February. Gotta keep it up. The Tax Man cometh in April...

@queendiva 

April is the cruellest month...

How did T.S. Eliot know? 

Must start squirreling money away for taxes.  And for tax preparation.

Ugh.

I just got off the phone making an appointment with my accountant to bring in my taxes in a couple of weeks.  😐

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Good frugal tips @just bee !

My February hasn't been quite as frugal as I had hoped it would be. We had to get a new kitchen sink because ours was leaking and had to buy parts to repair the plow on our quad. Kiddo needed new reeds for his clarinet, etc, etc, etc. It hasn't been horrible, and most of the purchases have been needs, not wants, but it does seem like life always interferes with the best laid plans.

I did just place an order with Ulta and I'm waiting for it to arrive. But I used one of my gift cards so my out of pocket was less than $6. Some of the items I ordered were needs, mascara, cotton rounds, cleanser, but some were wants too, eyeliner, cream blush, a Vit C serum, hair gel. I have one more gift card that I'm going to try to hold onto for a couple of months. 

I'm still fighting this horrible cold, been almost 2 weeks now, and I still feel lousy. Now it's up in my eyes and they're all red and draining too. I'm debating whether or not to go to the doctor but I think it's all related to the virus so I doubt it will do me any good. But, I will probably toss some items when this crud is finally gone, just in case, so I don't get it back. I have some shadow and eyeliner that I don't really like anyway that Ive been using and will toss when this is over, along with my mascara. 

I had this happen to me a couple of years ago too. It was miserable then and it's miserable now. Because the weather isn't bad enough. The "bomb cyclone" that hit us this weekend tore some shingles off our roof among other things, and tomorrow we're supposed to get 6 more inches of snow. Did I mention I'm ready for spring? 

I feel for you, @rnmom.  That stuff hangs on forever.  What I had didn’t make me feel too bad, but I couldn’t get rid of it.  It seemed like two months before I realized that I felt somewhat normal again, not that my normal is all that great anyway.  The only good thing about feeling lousy is that I don’t feel like shopping!  😄

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

I have done OK this month. Ordered one item on clearance from HSN that was $12.00 incl. s/h. Reduced what I bought here. Made 0 beauty purchases anywhere.

Did pick up some very small Needs at Home Goods for my kitchen reno which is underway as we speak. I hope it will be close to completion by the end of the week.

My CC tells me I did better in Frugal February. Gotta keep it up. The Tax Man cometh in April...

@queendiva 

April is the cruellest month...

How did T.S. Eliot know? 

Must start squirreling money away for taxes.  And for tax preparation.

Ugh.

I just got off the phone making an appointment with my accountant to bring in my taxes in a couple of weeks.  😐

@geezerette 

I always owe so I like to put it off as long as possible.  December would be nice.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Good frugal tips @just bee !

My February hasn't been quite as frugal as I had hoped it would be. We had to get a new kitchen sink because ours was leaking and had to buy parts to repair the plow on our quad. Kiddo needed new reeds for his clarinet, etc, etc, etc. It hasn't been horrible, and most of the purchases have been needs, not wants, but it does seem like life always interferes with the best laid plans.

I did just place an order with Ulta and I'm waiting for it to arrive. But I used one of my gift cards so my out of pocket was less than $6. Some of the items I ordered were needs, mascara, cotton rounds, cleanser, but some were wants too, eyeliner, cream blush, a Vit C serum, hair gel. I have one more gift card that I'm going to try to hold onto for a couple of months. 

I'm still fighting this horrible cold, been almost 2 weeks now, and I still feel lousy. Now it's up in my eyes and they're all red and draining too. I'm debating whether or not to go to the doctor but I think it's all related to the virus so I doubt it will do me any good. But, I will probably toss some items when this crud is finally gone, just in case, so I don't get it back. I have some shadow and eyeliner that I don't really like anyway that Ive been using and will toss when this is over, along with my mascara. 

I had this happen to me a couple of years ago too. It was miserable then and it's miserable now. Because the weather isn't bad enough. The "bomb cyclone" that hit us this weekend tore some shingles off our roof among other things, and tomorrow we're supposed to get 6 more inches of snow. Did I mention I'm ready for spring? 

@rnmom Same here!  I have been fighting a terrible cold for about 2 weeks, too!! I am using up boxes and boxes of Kleenex.  It is no fun at all!!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oooooooo.......looks yummy! 

I have been looking at various “house brand” labels as well. 

I’m of the suspicion that there can’t be dozens of separate peanut butter making factories, so many No-Name brands are actually the same Brand Name PB,

just with a different label!

Since I consider myself a relatively “clean” food eater, I don’t get too worried

about tiny/trace amounts of a particular preservative, etc.

(to emphasize—-TINY!)

To stay somewhat On Topic:  To save money, I’m careful

to stick to “REAL” food. By shopping the outside ring of the grocery store,

I stay away from the center aisles of manufactured/fake foods which are loaded with preservatives, salt, artificial colors/flavors, etc.

Any products  made in a manufacturing plant, then categorized as “foods”,

(but has NO nutrional value)  should have a *Warning* label indicating

”consuming this product can be Hazardous to your Health”.

Along with “Proceed with Caution”

and “If product is consumed in large amounts, contact the Poison Control Center”!

(I admit to having an extreme viewpoint!) 

I did find “Richards” chunky PB to add to my list of Favs.!

btw, I apologize for the late response.....I’ve been having fun playing with my first

Ipad! lol

ETA! I discovered 2 Fantastic Deals on Amazon. I bought 100 Magic Eraser Dupes

for $7.00/ free s/h! Best of all—they WORK! Here’s another situation where maybe during the manufacturing process, some of the sponges were cut too small...or maybe 

the color was *off*.  

The sponges are about 4” by 1” by 1”. They can’t be twisted to wring out or they’ll 

eventually rip up, so I press excess water out. It was actually FUN running around the house, finding dust in nooks n crannies. The dirt rinses off easily and I’m able to reuse a single sponge numerous times.

If an area is extremely dirty/greasy, I toss it out.....after all, I still have 99 more!

As for a great Beauty Discovery, I bought a twist-top bottle of GLYCERINE!

Who knew that this 1 simple ingredient had dozens of uses, for the hair, skin, nails.

And it’s SO CHEAP! 

A quart sized bottle can be $14. Read products information and reviews.

Im thinking that for folks with diabetes, for example, it’s a great skin lubricant.

Honored Contributor

@JumpTheRope 

I was wondering what happened to you! Woman LOL

I really do like the the Santa Cruz Organic -- both the light and dark roasted.  The peanut butter spread, however, is not as tasty.  Works well with apple slices but just doesn't have the depth of the light and dark roasted butters.

I'm going to have to pick up jars of Adams and Smuckers for comparison.  I go through a lot of peanut butter and these SCO 16-ounce jars just get consumed so quickly.  Fine if I can find a sale, but six bucks a jar is steep.

Oh -- and I share your love of the Magic Eraser.  We used a similar product in the cleanroom when I worked in the semiconductor industry.  Fabulous invention.

And what you say about the middle aisles of the grocery store is correct.  Ever notice that the grocery ads are the same way?  Check out the front and back for what you need (actual food) because the center pages are all the processed stuff.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~