Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Down-to-Earth December

Well, I am feeling so dumb. I have had this mini 3 cup kitchenaid chopper for soooooooo many years. Never used. It managed to survive my decluttering so many times.  Well today I tested it as I use chopped almonds in a cookie recipe and I always chop them with a manual thing I have. Anyway, I tested this thing this morning and oh my goodness, it chopped them all in a matter of seconds. It was a bit loud though but I can live with that.  It was just reminder to USE what I have. This year I really want to test out all of the gadgets I have and make sure they deserve a spot in my home. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies 

@PAlady 

@rnmom 

@Brisky 

@FindingMyJoy

@geezerette 

WOW!

I read all your recent posts and I have an adjective for January.

I urge you all to read through these again because they're proof that you've been doing some serious thinking about what's important to you.

You're envisioning something different.  Dialoguing about it here.  Realizing what has value and what does not.

And it sounds like you're ready to innovate -- make changes, do things in a new way.

That's pretty exciting.  And even more exciting is that we have a place to do it.

What do you think about this?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Right on just bee, I believe we can control some things in our lives! No, not all. Too unrealistic to me. Definitely some things we can control😉
I can control our money. I'm very frugal, normally.

If I keep sugars and breads out of the house, I will be on my way to better foods. Think healthy not dietary!
I believe I can do it. So, that's my starting point.

If we don't try we will never reach our potential.
I believe we all have the power to say no. If you fail at first just admit it and move on! I say start again and keep trying... Mind over matter.☺
We have all failed in our lives at some point. That's a given. That can be our past. Let's go into the future and focus on the here and now. Go for it ladies.😊
Trusted Contributor

@FindingMyJoy, I hear your sadness about your mom. It's tough. But this period won't be all you remember. I've heard often, and believe, that after a major health event, it takes months for one's thinking to clear. Maybe she just isn't finished with that process yet.

Many people I know talk about feeling ready to "go," i.e., die. This seems to mean many different things. For some, it's a simple expression of recognition that the quality of life is no longer there. For some, it's an uplifting feeling of having no unfinished business. Probably many are saying they are just feeling awful and don't know how to feel better. Others can't help when this is the case.

Perhaps you're right and she just does want to leave behind whats clearly weighing on her. But you'll never really know what her reason is; she may not even know herself. Whatever the reason, your best strategy is not to get caught in your own feelings about it, or let it throw you off balance. Take good care of yourself and reach for the best feeling you can have about her. That may help her, and will almost certainly help you. Best wishes.

Trusted Contributor

@rnmom So, how about "Judicious January?"

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

i think this coming year I am not setting any restrictive goals but do want to practice intentional living and trying to form good habits one at a time. 

@aprilskies 

Living with intention.  Wow, now there's a flashback to est...

Have you read about living with intention?  It sounds like you've given this a lot of thought and you've accurately captured what it is you need to do.

There are several articles online and one in particular seems to fit your specific needs.

6 Steps to Living with Intention

1. Visualize your ideal day

2. Implement small daily habits

3. Know your priorities

4. Get rid of clutter

5. Be intentional about your health

6. Be intentional about what you eat

You've posted about every one of these steps.  I think this is your roadmap for 2020.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

My problem is my intentions are always good but don’t really materialize so I end up with so much stuff.  

@aprilskies 

I think we all struggle with that one! 😉

And I also think your idea of not setting restrictive goals is a good one.  Figure out what you want to achieve, not what you want to quit.  Be positive! 👍

@geezerette 

Good advice.  The words "visualize" and "envision" again.

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Over Christmas, I saw my family including my mom. It was quite sobering to see how unhealthy she has become after her 2 knee replacements. After she got thru the mandatory physical therapy after the surgeries, she really gave up taking care of herself and working her legs. She's put on weight and struggles to walk and go up/down stairs. She's stubborn and doesn't see the need to make health changes. More than once she made comments about death that she's ready to go and wants to go before dad. I found it just so mean of her to say that junk in front of dad - she wants to leave all the ****** to him to deal with so she doesn't have to do it. She's become really bitter and takes it out on my dad. He doesn't question it, just goes along with what she says or just ignores her or more often decides to go outside to get away from her. It's sad these are the more recent memories that will stick in my head when they are gone. Smiley Sad 

@FindingMyJoy 

This is unfortunate but it's what we humans do.  You can't snap at your coworkers because Security might walk you out of the building; you can't snap at customers or patients; you can't snap at people in public places; you can't snap at your neighbors because they might hurt your pets.

So who can you hurt when you really have to vent?  It's usually the person you live with and love.  The irony is that when we do that we end up hurting ourselves.

Of course there are those who come home and kick the dog or take it out on a kid or parent. 

I don't know why humans have to make their problem everyone else's problem.  It's just what we do.

Bitterness is a nasty thing. 

A chronic and pervasive state of smoldering resentment.

One of the most destructive and toxic of human emotions.

You could try talking to your mom but you might end up on the receiving end of her resentment.

It's like when they say you have to be careful when you approach an animal that's been hurt -- they may bite you.

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

"Just the Basics" is going to be my January mantra. I'll only buy replacements to items i've used. No crazy big splurges of stuff i don't need. 

I do also like something to do with "Junk"...because I know I have plenty of stuff I should be getting rid of but remains in my home. I'm also guilty of saving "good" clothes while I rewear the same things over and over. The past couple months I got a bit better with throwing out a couple old shirts or pants each month since they were junky enough I would be embarassed if anyone saw me wearing it. 

Boy, there really seems to be a theme here.

You're all posting about "the basics" and keeping only what you need and use.  The word "junk" comes up a lot.  We have a lot of things yet we actually don't use them, wear them or display them because we're still saving them for some reason.

Keep in mind that I saved a lot over the years and it's all in landfill today.

So this is something we'll try to tackle in January.  I'm starting the new year off by tossing my worn out pair of New Balance shoes.  I replaced my pair of 623s with 624s: Why am I hanging on to the old pair?

Find something to part with tomorrow night.  My shoes are symbolic of this year.  They need to go.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I figured in 2020 I am going to do it one month at a time. January is “health” and exercise.  I say “health” because I want to do a lifestyle change, not the elimination game. You know, I keep all my commitments to other people, it is time I keep them for and to myself too. 

@aprilskies 

Another theme.  We can't make any changes if we feel like cr_p.  Frankly, if we think we look bad we're going to feel bad.  That's when we get stuck.

It's a bad place: Suspended animation, limbo.  Days go by, then weeks, then months, then years. 

Procrastination is another thing we have to think about in 2020.  Why are we putting off a better life?