Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Accountable April

@Brisky @just bee -I SO miss having a nice lawn with a fenced in yard. I used to also have a half acre yard that was fenced in, and I loved it. Now we have 30 acres total with a 10 acre lake in the middle of it and woods all around it. Hubby loves it, me not so much. It's really pretty, and I do enjoy walking around the lake and sitting outside with the dogs in my swing by the lake. I have 2 Chessies and they love playing in the water. 

But it's really hard to grow a decent lawn out here. We had it hydroseeded when we first moved in, and there's some grass, but mostly it's just sand and weeds. It's such a mess. It looks terrible and I am constantly sweeping up sand. Having wet dogs every day doesn't help either. 

We have a very small fenced in area in the back so the dogs can use the bathroom and I don't have to worry about them taking off. I've mentioned to hubby about fencing in a larger area but he's resistant to the idea. 

Respected Contributor

@aprilskies -It's great to see you back posting again. I actually really like my job too, I got a new position about a year and a half ago and 'mI really happy with it. I just get frustrated when I feel like we're always scrambling to stay caught up because we're working short. If we were full staffed, I wouldn't have to pick up so many extra days and it wouldn't be so stressful when I'm there. But overall, I still really like it. Don't get me wrong, after 26 years  I'd retire if I could and just stay home, but if I have to work it's one of the best jobs I could have. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee -It's funny that you mention having fun with your new inexpensive makeup. I almost used that as my excuse for buying a whole bunch of cheap makeup during the last elf sping sale. I would have needed to spend $25 to get the free shipping, but when you think of what we waste $25 on, one meal out for the 4 of us is more than that, one movie, etc and we have nothing to show for it. (That's why we rarely eat out or go to the movies) How much fun could I have had if I had gotten all that new makeup?

Even if I didn't use half of it and ended up tossing it, it may have been worth it for a little bit of fun. Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for another sale in the next couple of months. I've done pretty darn good so far this year. I have made some purchases so far this year but only one purchase from Ulta and some mandatory SPF items from Amazon. I coud use a frivilous, fun treat. Glad that you are having some FUN!

@rnmom 

Precisely!

BH and I decided a long time ago that we would stop eating out because we would always end up disappointed.

We agreed that we would only go out for things he couldn't prepare at home.  Like sushi.  It's been years since I had sushi and I still hadn't experienced Kizami Wasabi!

So last month, to celebrate our anniversary, we went to a place we'd been talking about for years.  And I finally got my Kizami.  Yowza -- I'll never eat that green paste again.

But the tip (and two large Sapporos) was more than what I spent on cheap cosmetics.

And I know these blushes and shadows will outlive me! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@Brisky @just bee -I SO miss having a nice lawn with a fenced in yard. I used to also have a half acre yard that was fenced in, and I loved it. Now we have 30 acres total with a 10 acre lake in the middle of it and woods all around it. Hubby loves it, me not so much. It's really pretty, and I do enjoy walking around the lake and sitting outside with the dogs in my swing by the lake. I have 2 Chessies and they love playing in the water. 

But it's really hard to grow a decent lawn out here. We had it hydroseeded when we first moved in, and there's some grass, but mostly it's just sand and weeds. It's such a mess. It looks terrible and I am constantly sweeping up sand. Having wet dogs every day doesn't help either. 

We have a very small fenced in area in the back so the dogs can use the bathroom and I don't have to worry about them taking off. I've mentioned to hubby about fencing in a larger area but he's resistant to the idea. 

@rnmom 

@Brisky 

I live in Albuquerque.  What's a lawn?

When we moved here, we tried one.  We failed.  We cultivate some fabulous looking weeds, though.  It seems like each year we discover a new weed and a new insect.  This year's new weed appears to be mustard greens.

I told BH that my mother and I lived on mustard greens when we first moved to the San Francisco Bay Area in the 70s.  They grew in the pre-Silicon Valley orchards in Mountain View and we'd pick them, then she'd sauté them with a little bit of bacon and dried mushrooms.

The only thing that keeps me from doing that is we don't have a designated area for the dog so every upright object out there is fair game.

Gosh, your properties sound wonderful!  All I can claim is a view of the bosque, the city and the Sandias.  But I have to be outside the house to see it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies -It's great to see you back posting again. I actually really like my job too, I got a new position about a year and a half ago and 'mI really happy with it. I just get frustrated when I feel like we're always scrambling to stay caught up because we're working short. If we were full staffed, I wouldn't have to pick up so many extra days and it wouldn't be so stressful when I'm there. But overall, I still really like it. Don't get me wrong, after 26 years  I'd retire if I could and just stay home, but if I have to work it's one of the best jobs I could have. 

@rnmom 

Not hating your job really makes a difference, doesn't it?  I've worked in many different areas and I've never disliked the work.  A handful of coworkers made life miserable, but the work was just fine.

Respected Contributor

@just bee - the property really is beautiful, we have a view of the lake from every room in the house. The lake is in the front of the house and there's at least one window in every room that faces the front. And I do enjoy seeing all the wildlife, ducks, geese, turkeys, deer, you name it, it's out here. I just wish that we could grow some better grass and fence it in so that it wasn't such a dirty, dusty mess. I'm sure you can relate living in the desert. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee - the property really is beautiful, we have a view of the lake from every room in the house. The lake is in the front of the house and there's at least one window in every room that faces the front. And I do enjoy seeing all the wildlife, ducks, geese, turkeys, deer, you name it, it's out here. I just wish that we could grow some better grass and fence it in so that it wasn't such a dirty, dusty mess. I'm sure you can relate living in the desert. 

@rnmom 

Lake_

Lake?  Did someone say lake?

Lake_

Lake_

Lake!

Lake

Honored Contributor

@rnmom 

Dusty mess?  Oh, yes -- I can relate!

Respected Contributor

Wow, ladies, your properties sound wonderful.  I would take them. Being more closer to the city, I get to see more houses and streets with no backdrop of any kind really,  I would ❤️ Your yards and all the work that comes with it, I THINK???   Sounds like you all have your own santuaries to retreat to.  @rnmom, your land with lake views sounds just awesome. I would love to be in nature like that, serene, although I am sure it brings on a whole other level of “work.”  But, you can basically hike in your own back yard. 

Respected Contributor

Ulta has been absolutely relentless with their ads that I am coming so close to unsubscribing. But I do appreciate their 20%of coupons so I am holding off for now. I have unsubscribed to mostly everything else, even Sephora.

I came close to buying a bronzer yesterday that I didn’t need.  It is the too faced lust bronzer with the peacock embossing in the powder.  Soooo pretty. I love peacocks so it would of been solely for the packaging. I am glad my coupon didn’t work out and I came to my senses. Maybe being so busy wasn’t so bad after all. 😆 😆 😂 😂 

Well today is a cleaning day.  It is time to organize some tables. How fast they become cluttered. Well, after my coffee....