Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Accountable April

@momoftwo2007 

@Brisky 

Now there's some inspiration!

I suddenly feel motivated.  The weather has been fabulous -- chilly and rainy after a 4-day stretch of 75+ degrees.  I went to check the mail the other day and noticed we had brand new boxes.  Went to the Post Office today and picked up keys and it's the greatest feeling!  I didn't have to fret about my ancient key breaking inside an ancient lock.  Nice new design -- just like all the surrounding neighborhoods.

For a change I got some good news in the box.  Every bit helps.

I feel like this is a fortuitous time to make a change.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@momoftwo2007 

@Brisky 

Now there's some inspiration!

I suddenly feel motivated.  The weather has been fabulous -- chilly and rainy after a 4-day stretch of 75+ degrees.  I went to check the mail the other day and noticed we had brand new boxes.  Went to the Post Office today and picked up keys and it's the greatest feeling!  I didn't have to fret about my ancient key breaking inside an ancient lock.  Nice new design -- just like all the surrounding neighborhoods.

For a change I got some good news in the box.  Every bit helps.

I feel like this is a fortuitous time to make a change.

@just bee 

New mailboxes—the better to hold all those new order deliveries! 😉

Honored Contributor

Speaking of mail—boy, did I just get a wake up call in mine!  All my credit card bills happened to come at one time.  I don’t think that’s ever happened before.  Looking at all those figures together really brings home how much I’m spending, much of which is totally unnecessary. 

😱😩

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@momoftwo2007 

@Brisky 

I went to check the mail the other day and noticed we had brand new boxes.  Went to the Post Office today and picked up keys and it's the greatest feeling!  I didn't have to fret about my ancient key breaking inside an ancient lock.  Nice new design -- just like all the surrounding neighborhoods.

@just bee 

New mailboxes—the better to hold all those new order deliveries! 😉

@geezerette 

A sign of the times.  I think they're providing more room for packages now that online shopping is the new normal.  Eww.  I hate that expression.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Speaking of mail—boy, did I just get a wake up call in mine!  All my credit card bills happened to come at one time.  I don’t think that’s ever happened before.  Looking at all those figures together really brings home how much I’m spending, much of which is totally unnecessary. 

😱😩

@geezerette 

That's what I was saying earlier.  I check my mailbox once a week because it's rarely anything I want to know about. Woman LOL

So, G, how 'bout a buddy system for April?  We can hold one another accountable.

We can each come up with a pledge to do something -- or not do something.  Then we just keep each other in check.

Trusted Contributor

Speaking of the mail, what a coincidence about the new mailboxes.  We have a large mailbox out by the street and the door hinges rusted through and the door fell off.  Had to buy a new one.  Off we went and finally found the one we wanted at Ace Hardware.  It's so nice to look at a brand new mailbox, we should've replaced it a year ago.

And yes, we had a nice starchy comfort-food dinner after my fiasco with SSA and Equifax last Friday.  Pizza, wine and brownies for dessert!  Now there's some unhealthy eating, LOL!  But it did hit the spot.  And I felt remarkably better after that glass of wine!

And, no, I did not try to create our accounts online at Social Security today.  I'm in a pretty good mood and I don't want to spoil it.  There's always tomorrow...

I went to Trader Joe's the other day and they finally had their rose scented hand cream, so I bought four!  One in the car, one on the bedside table, one at my desk.  Only one back-up in the closet.  How's that for rationalizing?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@River Song wrote:

Speaking of the mail, what a coincidence about the new mailboxes.  We have a large mailbox out by the street and the door hinges rusted through and the door fell off.  Had to buy a new one.  Off we went and finally found the one we wanted at Ace Hardware.  It's so nice to look at a brand new mailbox, we should've replaced it a year ago.

And yes, we had a nice starchy comfort-food dinner after my fiasco with SSA and Equifax last Friday.  Pizza, wine and brownies for dessert!  Now there's some unhealthy eating, LOL!  But it did hit the spot.  And I felt remarkably better after that glass of wine!

And, no, I did not try to create our accounts online at Social Security today.  I'm in a pretty good mood and I don't want to spoil it.  There's always tomorrow...

I went to Trader Joe's the other day and they finally had their rose scented hand cream, so I bought four!  One in the car, one on the bedside table, one at my desk.  Only one back-up in the closet.  How's that for rationalizing?

@River Song 

How's this for rationalizing?

1. Replaced a necessary item with an item that brings you a little joy every time you look at it.

2. Enjoyed a satisfying meal and relaxed with wine.

3. Invested in self-care with protective hand cream.  Added bonus: Rose scent provides aromatherapy.

4. Avoided frustration at a government agency thereby lowering stress levels.

All wonderful suggestions for stress relief!  I can already see April's off to a good start. Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I paid off my credit cards when I sold my home in ky.
Thank God for this. My BH and I decided to pay off all debt including cars.Now we only have mortgage and general maintenance bills. I never want to go back on that treadmill. We now just say no. That's accountability for sure. We read Suzie Orman and Dave Ramsey and it worked for us. Took us a couple years though....
Respected Contributor

@rnmom, it sounds as if you are going through the same thing at work. I came to the same conclusion as you, I will do what I can when I am there and maybe a little more, but that is it. March will not be a repeat. They knew well in advance what was coming down the pike. It is not a matter of a short period, this is going to be a bad year. 

The funny thing, is that I did compact my products a little bit. And you know, it was just an everyday thing. Since I was in fight or flight mode, I just made decisions as I came across things in the morning or night as I was getting ready and it was easy to be brutal because I was feeling pretty disgusted with the state of things. @geezerette, was right on when she said that with all the added stress, coming home and not having things streamlined and “santuary” like was spot on. That is the revelation that hit home - strong. So, I am going to make an effort this year to make some tough decisions and/or organize to the point of being functional. I feel like I do this every so often but things have a way of becoming unraveled.  For products, I know as I go through, I have quite a few more to toss, so that will be my first area to focus on. I will still have too much but I will work through the rest as best I can. 

Looking back I am thankful for March, it gave me a new perspective.  It is time to pare down more. I am so tired of looking around and just seeing stuff. When I was really stressed and tired, it wasn’t comforting. 

The good news is, I haven’t purchased any unnecessary beauty products for 3 months now.  The urge to buy was there but I talked myself out of it each time. And I think tossing all that I did helped in this area. 

Now, if I can get my spending in other areas under control, I will be on to something. 😆 the interesting part was the urge to find something to buy. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@geezerette, as I mentioned in my prior post, you are just spot on. Coming home and not feeling like I was in a santuary didn’t help matters. It is exactly how I felt. I feel like so many things are just not done and there is so much to do.  It is time to tackle things again. That was undo added stress that I can so something about. 

It it amazing how you ladies mirror my own revelations, we are all on the same page. I have missed you all.