Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Accountable April

Hi, Ladies,

Happy Accountable April!

I am doing well with my NO-BUY for Lent.  (NO-BUY for beauty and fashion items).  I did buy some bras, but I don't consider that as fashion items. I think those are necessities.  I was definitely tempted many times, especially with all the good clearance fashion items on HSN.  But it is going well so far.

I hope that all you ladies are doing well with ComPact!

Honored Contributor

On Saturday, after I discovered how much I would be paying in taxes this year, BH told me that we had to go to Walgreens to get passport photos.

No, we're not getting passports.  He's buying something that requires photos and background checks.

I was in no mood for this because I avoid cameras and I had just received unpleasant news involving money.

But I went.  My photo reflected my mood.  BH was prepared for his photo.  He had shaved his head for spring.

When his photo appeared on the monitor, he said:

"I look like a thumb."

Now that was a stress-reliever.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

Hi, Ladies,

Happy Accountable April!

I am doing well with my NO-BUY for Lent.  (NO-BUY for beauty and fashion items).  I did buy some bras, but I don't consider that as fashion items. I think those are necessities.  I was definitely tempted many times, especially with all the good clearance fashion items on HSN.  But it is going well so far.

@momoftwo2007 

Definitely necessities!  Like socks, food and utilities.  I don't leave home without one.

Congrats on the no-buy.  I need to come up with a challenge I can actually stick with. Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Did I mention I used my repaired "Nutty" eyeshadow yesterday?  The fix seemed to work!  Amazing what you can find on the Internet. 

I also finished another of the blushes ("Sunswept") in the notorious Laura Geller baked blush palette.  All that's left is a little over half a pan of  "Pink Grapefruit." 

You're probably asking why I don't toss that thing in the trash since I just purchased the full-size LG blush.  That's a very good question! Woman LOL

It's because I'm committed.  That palette has been with me since 2010 and I'm just not ready to part with it.  We went through nursing school together.  We've laughed, we've cried.  It was there when I met the World's Greatest Dog and made the decision to never buy another pair of jeans.

Besides, I really want to see how long it will take me to polish it off.  Call it morbid curiosity.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies 

First, I’m glad that you’re okay.  We were worried something bad happened to you in your absence.  I guess something bad has happened to you, but not what we were worried about. 

I do have to admit, though, that I’m a tad disappointed that you showed up before I could post.  I had planned to come in and lay out my movie and tv references: “@aprilskies, Where Are You?”, or “Come Back, Little @aprilskies ”!  (Those sounded better in my head.☺️) 

Sorry you’re going through a hassle at work.  But that’s just another reason to have our home lives decluttered.  There are so many things over which we have little to no control that we have to deal with, that we shouldn’t voluntarily put ourselves in a position to be dealing with things over which we do have control.  How nice to come home from a horribly stressful day at work to find a nice orderly neat sanctuary in which to de-stress.  Instead of a jumbled mess that just makes us more upset, this time at ourselves.

Anyway, @aprilskies , I do hope that you find time occasionally to pop back in and let us know how you’re doing.  We miss you.  And, after all, it is your month!  🌷

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

You’re certainly on a roll this morning!

I like your idea about dealing with stress.  I certainly could use some suggestions, since I tend to deal with it in all the ways you mentioned we don’t want to.

One thing I did this morning was to go through and actually read the first few Compact posts word by word again.  I usually just skim them come the beginning of a new month. 🤗  But rereading what and why I’m here in the first place is a good way to start a new fresh month—a new beginning.  Mainly because usually by the end of the month I’ve slipped up on whatever I’m trying to deal with.

I’m finishing up two gallons of WEN right now.  Didn’t quite make the end of last month, but close.  I won’t be ordering the gallons anymore.  I can get better deals with TSVs, and I’m finding that although the gallon is convenient in the shower, it’s not in any other way.  Too much commitment.

I’ve been in the process of shredding my past, literally.  After my trip to the accountant, I got my files down from the attic (which is now almost squeaky clean and orderly, by the way—yay, me👏) and have been shredding records, files, receipts some from the 70’s.  I have about a half dozen boxes left to go.  Oddly, it’s kind of bittersweet.  All those bits of paper bring back memories, many of which I had long forgotten.  Odd what a 30-year-old cancelled check can do.

So, a new month, a new quarter, and another chance to get our goals accomplished.  Or at least get a good start on them. Go for it.  💪

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

@aprilskies 

Key word there, G: Sanctuary.  Whether that's a physical space or a state of mind.

For me, the physical space changes throughout the day.  Sometimes it's the shower stall, sometimes it's the kitchen.  When I leave work, it's when I get inside my car and start driving away.

And it's when I'm with the dog.  That can be in a "nature" setting or on the city streets.  I'm going to take him out and about and sniff the fresh air before I start concentrating on errands.

Got some decent rain last night! Woman Very Happy

The better to pull weeds with, my dear.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

So, a new month, a new quarter, and another chance to get our goals accomplished.  Or at least get a good start on them. Go for it.  💪

@geezerette 

Precisely.  I've already made my list of things I need to accomplish this month.

And I need to stop thinking about the "right" time to tackle these things.  It's just another way of procrastinating.

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

Hi, Ladies,

Happy Accountable April!

@momoftwo2007 

Well, I’m jealous!  But congratulations to you for sticking to your guns, despite temptation.  👏👍

Hopefully, the more we can do that, the easier it will get. 🤞

Respected Contributor

I have not purchased anything but my lip balm in Three months ! I will be doing my taxes soon and will see how that goes. I really want to buy a good beauty TSV. Hold me back.....☺ I hope you are all doing well.
Been busy but still hanging on.
Geezerette, I told you Aprilskies would come back. We always do 😊