Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Acceptance August

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

School starting is coming around quick. As much as I am not a fan of humidity and all, I am just blown away how fast summer is coming to a close. It is crazy. It is the middle of August and I have barely enjoyed any summer activities. I keep thinking I am going to make the beach and dont think I am going to make it once this year and come to think about it, I didnt make it last year either. 

@aprilskies 

Near the end of every season there are days that give us a hint of the season to come.  We've had a couple "hints" of autumn recently and I can't wait for the change.  It hasn't been a bad summer, but autumn is my favorite season and cooler weather is always a good thing.  Soon we'll be stocking roasted green chile.  Can't wait.

The grocery store has outdoor Halloween decor near the entrance.  The Halloween stores have opened.  I'm already wondering what trick-or-treating is like in this neighborhood.  I'll need to ask for that night off.

And another summer is coming to a close and I haven't worn any of my Birkenstocks.  Maybe I'll just wear them this fall... with socks!

Horrors!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee it is just so amazing how we see things more clearly once we are out of a situation. It is easy to justify just about anything. And now you are able to help others in a way. No better than a person who has been through it. More storage boxes are one thing I now refuse to buy.  Different if I am looking to make something easier to use and another if I just want to store things away. I never know there are there. 

The other day I ordered new sheets. One pair just got completely torn in the last wash. So, ordered another set because I thought I only had two plus a microfiber set.  Well, guess what, I found a set I forgot I had because it was tucked away. So what do I do now, return the set I haven’t opened yet? I hate returning things but it is going against what I want to do.  Storage containers are just not a good thing. Out of sight, out of mind. 

I bought some from Costcos two years ago maybe when I gave away my bookcase. At the time I wanted them to replace some of the cheaper storage containers I had, but they actually now hold the books I kept and other things and I regret the day I bought them.  They are now in my walk-in closet in the way.  I have no other space for them.  Bad move.  However, the larger question is am I really going to read all of the books I kept or is it time to take another stab at them.  My plan was to read and donate but I haven’t touched a book all year. 

The storms are one of things that have really made me more serious about getting streamlined. They are not close to home but close enough. I never thought I would see a hurricane in my state the magnitude of hurricane sandy. Too close for comfort. 

I agree with less is more. I just have to figure it why I cant stick to it.  The closer I get the further away I seem to be. 

@aprilskies 

All the clothes I gave to the restoration company are on wire hangers.  Wire hangers!  That includes all the sweaters I gave them.  I have to get the sweaters off those hangers but I'm paralyzed.  Most of them are wool but I'm stuck when it comes to storage.  Do I put them in plastic bins?  Zip bags?  Cardboard?  Trash bags?

BH had built shelves for all my sweaters in my walk-in closet at the house.  Will they restore those shelves?

I'll probably put them all in plastic bags for now.  What's so awful is that most of my clothes and shoes and coats and jackets and hats and handbags were left behind.  But even the amount I pulled out of the closets to save seems like way too much.  And as nice as some of the items are, I don't see myself wearing them.  Yet I don't want to buy new clothes when I have so much that is perfectly wearable.

I will have to force myself to start wearing "real" clothes again.  I can't always look like I'm just going out to walk the dog.

Again, clothes for a fantasy life?  No, I did wear some of these when I was in corporate.  I did accessorize.  Maybe I've been in casual mode too long and need a change.  Will I wear plaid and houndstooth again?

The big question: Will I ever wear my capes?  My cowboy boots?  Maybe.  But certainly not together! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

I agree with less is more. I just have to figure it why I cant stick to it.  The closer I get the further away I seem to be. 

@aprilskies 

If we hadn't had the fire I'd still be agonizing over every piece of cr@p in the house.  I can picture myself holding items of clothing, books, art prints, knickknacks and asking myself: Does this spark joy?

I wouldn't have made much progress.

But that joy thing did kick in when I had a deadline.  There were things I parted with that I never dreamed I'd part with.  Things I kept that I'd never thought I'd keep.

You need a deadline.  Before the fire I'd told myself that I didn't check off all the things on my list by age thirty so I had one more shot at sixty.  And I did nothing to accomplish that.  Until the fire.  The catalyst I needed to finally make those impossible decisions.

I know when I get back into the house there will be more to part with.  And that's okay.

I'll turn 60 in this house and I'll reflect on the past few months and the change that has occurred.

I've discussed the fire with a few of my patients and with strangers.  They just stare at me and say: "You're smiling?"

What else am I supposed to do?

@aprilskies, just ask yourself if this is working.  Are you happy?  Is this the life you envisioned, the life you want?  If the answer is no, then what will it take to get you to the point where you're happy again?

Your stuff is the obstacle.

Honored Contributor

We have chosen our brick (Old Keystone) and our interior paint colors.  The walls will be Agreeable Gray, the ceilings and the crown molding/trim will be Pure White.

Another hundred decisions to go!

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

We have chosen our brick (Old Keystone) and our interior paint colors.  The walls will be Agreeable Gray, the ceilings and the crown molding/trim will be Pure White.

Another hundred decisions to go!

@just bee 

Then you named the August thread appropriately, with your acceptance of gray in your house.  👏👍

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

Thanks @just bee ! 16 days until the first day of school in case anyone is counting! The next 2 weeks are going to be so busy! I'll be so glad when they're done. 

@rnmom 

School starts tomorrow in Albuquerque! Woman LOL

@rnmom 

@just bee 

Most of the kids here go back tomorrow, although some started today and a few schools opened last week.  My niece teaches up in @rnmom‘s neck of the woods and she doesn’t go back until after Labor Day.

Maybe I’ll be able to get back on the internet again, at least during the week.

Respected Contributor

School started today for my daughter and husband.
My son decided to leave North Dakota University and finish college at the University of Denver. He will leave next week.
Rosey has a urinary tract infection. Off to the vet.
Son's 21 birthday today! WOW, He could still pass for 16 easily. We don't tell him though.
I went with squirrel lovers advice.No TSV.
Take it easy everybody!
Geezerette, it's always scorching hot here and rain is a has been, where I live now. I miss warm rain!!
Brisk out for the day...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies 

If we hadn't had the fire I'd still be agonizing over every piece of cr@p in the house.  I can picture myself holding items of clothing, books, art prints, knickknacks and asking myself: Does this spark joy?

I wouldn't have made much progress.

But that joy thing did kick in when I had a deadline.  There were things I parted with that I never dreamed I'd part with.  Things I kept that I'd never thought I'd keep.

You need a deadline.  Before the fire I'd told myself that I didn't check off all the things on my list by age thirty so I had one more shot at sixty.  And I did nothing to accomplish that.  Until the fire.  The catalyst I needed to finally make those impossible decisions.

I know when I get back into the house there will be more to part with.  And that's okay.

I'll turn 60 in this house and I'll reflect on the past few months and the change that has occurred.

I've discussed the fire with a few of my patients and with strangers.  They just stare at me and say: "You're smiling?"

What else am I supposed to do?

@aprilskies, just ask yourself if this is working.  Are you happy?  Is this the life you envisioned, the life you want?  If the answer is no, then what will it take to get you to the point where you're happy again?

Your stuff is the obstacle.

@aprilskies 

I was just thinking that very thing the last couple of days.  

I also passed on the Beekman goats.  The logical part of my mind finally won over the emotional side.  But it started all over again this morning when I opened my email to find an upcoming Barefoot Dreams Big Deal.  The war began anew.  I have two similar styles, and, true, I do wear them a lot.  Every day, in fact, in the warmer weather.  But do I really need a third?  Again, need vs want.  😇😈

I think that’s part of the reason it’s so tough now to resist buying stuff.  It’s shoved in our faces all the time.  Years ago the advertising wasn’t as pervasive.  And you had to actually go to a store to buy something, not click a few times on a little screen and have it delivered.  Even when we ordered something, we got a catalog in the mail sporadically and had to either mail a check and wait weeks for delivery, or if it were a store catalog, we still had to go to the store to order and pick up.  Not to mention no or few credit cards and most people just plain didn’t have as much disposable income.

Most of the time when I buy something I don’t actually need, I haven’t thought of the idea myself.  I’ve seen it somewhere and then decided, yeah, I need that too.  The same thing happens to me in the grocery store.  I can be doing fine at home eating well, then I hit the store and see all this junk that starts me salivating.  The two impulses (addictions) are the same for me.

@just bee , I’m finding a lot of things that used to “bring me joy” no longer fill that bill.  I just don’t want to be too quick to get rid of too much at this point.  I don’t want to regret decisions later.  Although I honestly can’t say that I can think of anything I got rid of that I wish I now had.  So that’s something to consider.

When I think on my life gone by and think about what I’d do differently had I the chance, I wish I hadn’t focused so much on “things and stuff”.  I wish I had the money now for the things I’ve tossed or donated.  I wish I had exercised more and eaten better years ago.

So why then is it so hard to resist that urge to splurge when I see those emails, sales, or junk food displays? 😍🤨😫

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
School started today for my daughter and husband.
My son decided to leave North Dakota University and finish college at the University of Denver. He will leave next week.
Rosey has a urinary tract infection. Off to the vet.
Son's 21 birthday today! WOW, He could still pass for 16 easily. We don't tell him though.
I went with squirrel lovers advice.No TSV.
Take it easy everybody!
Geezerette, it's always scorching hot here and rain is a has been, where I live now. I miss warm rain!!
Brisk out for the day...

@Brisky 

Yay!  Sounds like we all were strong when it came to the goat weekend!  I’ll bet it was the encouragement from @Squirrel Lover that did it! 👏👍

Poor Rosey.  I think urinary infections are the worst.  That needle!  Probably bothered me more than the dog.  I hope she gets better soon. 

Happy 21st to your son!  Uh oh, now he’s legal everywhere. 😄  And yes, it’s probably a really good idea not to tell a 21-year-old male he looks like he’s 16. 😉

Honored Contributor

I guess I should have checked the weather before I went outside to mow.  Heat index of 116.  No wonder I was sweating. 🥵

Enough of that insanity!