Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Acceptance August

@Brisky wrote:
I have seen some crazy acting people out there. LOL
I remember being behind a woman at a bank and she was yelling at the teller because she had some problems with her card. No money.
I just kept backing up while the poor teller called management. Trust me, that customer needed anger management!
I think I fly underneath the radar in public. Like a cool cat.I don't fly that way.

Agreeable grey! Well, how acceptable! My second house was all light grey. I loved it.
No candles, no pure Grace. Hmm, that's a fire for you.

Loved Carl looking at the clock and then deciding to clean up! Well done and too darn cute!

@Brisky 

Well, I do work in psych, so...

It's a growing population.

Speaking of crazy, the other day BH had a meeting with the contractor.  BH asked me what would be the most ridiculous thing I could hear about the house right now.  I just looked at him and said: "Brick."

I was correct.  The latest thing?  They intend to save our fireplace/hearth.  The red brick.  Which is not the color of the new brick we've chosen for the exterior.  The new brick to which we've matched paint, cabinetry and flooring.

Now you can tell me about crazy.

So when I get off work in the morning, instead of going home to walk the dog and get some sleep, we have a meeting.  I have to explain that I can't look at that red brick fireplace and hearth -- brick that covers a wall -- then look to the left through the window and see the new brick on the outside of the house.  The brick that in no way would ever match that red brick.

And I have to say this in such a way that those in the meeting don't start slowly backing up...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

You have got to be kidding! I know this is no joke. I would not be happy about that one either! That is so cheap on their part.
The new brick is already going to be there. Why can't they just go ahead and use it!😒 Oh vay, good luck with that meeting!
Let us know how this goes.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brisky wrote:
You have got to be kidding! I know this is no joke. I would not be happy about that one either! That is so cheap on their part.
The new brick is already going to be there. Why can't they just go ahead and use it!😒 Oh vay, good luck with that meeting!
Let us know how this goes.

@Brisky 

Oh, good.  So we're not crazy for wanting our exterior brick to match our interior brick.  Good, good.  Just checking.

Matching brick.  As the original home builder intended.

Makes sense!

Here's another one: We would like all the cabinetry in the house to match.  Same materials, same color.  Like the original builder intended.

And we would like to replace the toilets after the crew has used them for the next few months.  (And, yes, the toilet was left running this week -- can't wait to see my water bill.)

Are we being irrational or are we making sense?

Just checking....

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Making sense to me. It needs cohesion or things just don't look right.
They know this surely as they are experts?
Respected Contributor

I have owned three homes now and never had to file a claim. Hmm, Those CEO'S must make bank. What about the good faith claims. Not sounding good to me.
Honored Contributor

@just bee 

Just when you think things are settling down...

They might be perfectly willing to do all those things for you—if YOU pay for them.  That seems to be the kicker in all this.  They restore whatever is viable (in their opinion), so if only some of the matching/coordinating items have to be replaced, that’s all they’re going to do. The rest get “restored”.  I’m sure that’s in the fine print of the policy somewhere.  The problem for you comes in when the original materials are no longer available for the replacement items.  Sort of like all the frustration we have with discontinued beauty items.

Approach your meeting like you do your patients—slow and easy.  Don’t make any sudden movements.  😉

Respected Contributor

@just bee -No, you are not crazy for wanting the brick or the the cabinetry to match.

When we built our house 7 years ago we got all matching cabinetry in both bathrooms and in the kitchen. Plus all of the hardware and fixtures have the same brushed nickel finish. 

We added on a 3rd bathroom in the basement after we moved in and it still bugs me that the cabinet is not the same as the other 2. We just bought something inexpensive on clearance because it's, well, in the basement. I'm sure no one else even thinks about it, but I do. 

I'm so sorry that they are giving you such a hard time and that it will probably cost you extra money to get what you want. It definitely should not be that way. But if you're planning on staying in that house until you're dead you might as well stand your ground and get things the way you want them. 

Respected Contributor

@Brisky -I'm sorry to hear that your brother passed away. It is always exhausting going thru a loss like that, I hope you're resting and taking care of yourself.

Everyone at my house is back to school too and I also LOVE my quiet mornings to myself. I get 2 a week, I work the other 3 days, and hate making appointments or scheduling anything that interferes with my alone time. 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette -Thanks for the review on the Walmart skin care. I don't need anything for a while, but I'll definitely be sure to check the scent if I decide to try it in the future. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Just when you think things are settling down...

They might be perfectly willing to do all those things for you—if YOU pay for them.  That seems to be the kicker in all this.  They restore whatever is viable (in their opinion), so if only some of the matching/coordinating items have to be replaced, that’s all they’re going to do. The rest get “restored”.  I’m sure that’s in the fine print of the policy somewhere.  The problem for you comes in when the original materials are no longer available for the replacement items.  Sort of like all the frustration we have with discontinued beauty items.

Approach your meeting like you do your patients—slow and easy.  Don’t make any sudden movements.  😉

@geezerette 

Considering I got very little sleep, worked a horrendous shift, had an overtime shift to look forward to and am usually slipping into a coma about the time this meeting was scheduled, it went pretty well.

The contractor and the insurance adjustor are, as far as I can tell, fine human beings.  The contractor has assured us that our insurance company is one of the best to do business with.  The problem is the company that both the contractor and adjustor have to answer to.

BH describes it as a game of chess.  Their move: No new interior brick.  Our move: The new brick is visible only feet away from the old brick.  Must replace.

Same story with the countertops and cabinets.

We showed the adjustor the new brick sample.  We pointed out the smoke shadows (new term for BH and me) on the cultured marble and cabinetry.  And when the adjustor was confirming that there was, indeed, a Mickey Mouse-shaped smoke shadow on the cultured marble he noticed something else: A huge crack.

They are building a case on our behalf.  That company will come back with something else and this will go on until we can prove that trying to restore what cannot be restored isn't worth the time, energy or expense.

Frustrating for everyone involved.