Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Acceptance August

I think we all need a long long siesta. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee -I can't even begin to imagine how frustrated you must be. I naively thought that if so much was damaged that they would just tear it all down and start over from scratch, and yes, you would be getting a new house. I had no idea that they would try to restore so many items that were damaged by water or soot. I would think that would be more costly than just buying new, but I definitely don't know, I'm just guessing.

You would think that the insurance company would be doing everything that they could to help you, make things easier for you, you've already lost so much. Instead they are making things so much harder. Such a shame. 

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

I am learning a lot at your expense @just bee about catastrophies that happen to our homes and the lack of help/finances that our insurance companies provide.  I assumed if you had total replacement, that meant total replacement.  Evidently not.  What have we all been paying into all these years (black hole) only to find out not everthing is as it seems.  Best wishes for the road you are travelling.....

@Hoovermom 

It is to laugh.

On the way home from work this morning I discovered I had a flat tire.  I pulled into a tire shop -- not the one I usually go to, of course -- because I was desperate.

And you know the fun part about Subaru ownership -- you get a flat tire, you have to replace all four.

So that's what I did this morning.  New tires.  I've had the car two months.

But that's okay.  I had just replaced a couple tires on the Honda before it melted in the garage.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I think we all need a long long siesta. 

@aprilskies 

I need a beer first.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee -I can't even begin to imagine how frustrated you must be. I naively thought that if so much was damaged that they would just tear it all down and start over from scratch, and yes, you would be getting a new house. I had no idea that they would try to restore so many items that were damaged by water or soot. I would think that would be more costly than just buying new, but I definitely don't know, I'm just guessing.

You would think that the insurance company would be doing everything that they could to help you, make things easier for you, you've already lost so much. Instead they are making things so much harder. Such a shame. 

@rnmom 

Yes, but I have four new tires! Woman LOL

WINNING!!!!

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

I am learning a lot at your expense @just bee about catastrophies that happen to our homes and the lack of help/finances that our insurance companies provide.  I assumed if you had total replacement, that meant total replacement.  Evidently not.  What have we all been paying into all these years (black hole) only to find out not everthing is as it seems.  Best wishes for the road you are travelling.....

@Hoovermom 

It is to laugh.

On the way home from work this morning I discovered I had a flat tire.  I pulled into a tire shop -- not the one I usually go to, of course -- because I was desperate.

And you know the fun part about Subaru ownership -- you get a flat tire, you have to replace all four.

But that's okay.  I had just replaced a couple tires on the Honda before it melted in the garage.

@just bee 

That little cabin in the boonies of Wyoming is looking better and better...❤️

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Hoovermom 

It is to laugh.

@just bee 

That little cabin in the boonies of Wyoming is looking better and better...❤️

@geezerette 

Where the deer and the antelope play...

You're right.  I'd be eaten by a bear in no time.

Honored Contributor

One week left of August.  Have we accepted that?

Trusted Contributor

I had been clinging onto a large box of leftover crafting supplies, which I haven't used since 2006. I know I'd never use them again, but had been thinking I could sell them on Ebay or Craigslist. I'm just not in the mood for selling though. I accepted the fact that nothing bad would come of being without them, and took them too Goodwill yesterday. I'm happier today.

Having been through the experience of emptying my parents' home of their belongings, I decided I have to look at my own clutter as if it belongs to someone else. It makes it easier to let go.

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

I had been clinging onto a large box of leftover crafting supplies, which I haven't used since 2006. I know I'd never use them again, but had been thinking I could sell them on Ebay or Craigslist. I'm just not in the mood for selling though. I accepted the fact that nothing bad would come of being without them, and took them too Goodwill yesterday. I'm happier today.

Having been through the experience of emptying my parents' home of their belongings, I decided I have to look at my own clutter as if it belongs to someone else. It makes it easier to let go.

@Caffeina 

I held just about every item when I cleared the house and was surprised by the items that "sparked joy" and the ones that didn't.  I had to imagine a new and different life and ask myself if the item had a place in it.

Some did, some didn't.  Didn't mean those items weren't important in the "old" life.

Just don't have room for two lives.

BH picked up our two barstools that were reupholstered.  I didn't recognize the fabric.  Looks totally different from what I'd thought we picked out.  It actually turned out better. 

They definitely have a place in the new life.