Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Acceptance August

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

@aprilskies 

Yeah, I don't recommend a fire.  Or a flood, tornado, hurricane or earthquake.  I just recommend not collecting from the start.  It's weird to think that all my photographs are gone.

But then I have to think: I'm going to croak one day.  What's the point of these photos?  The Smithsonian doesn't want them.  Nobody wants them.  And now they're gone.

Dust in the wind.  Here today, gone tomorrow.

We are temporary.  We just have to enjoy what time we have with who we have and what we have.  If any part of that causes us stress, then we don't need it.

@just bee 

Now who is the wise one?  

I have been berating myself lately for all the decisions I’ve been making, not to mention all the money going out the window.  And being p*ssed at the OG for leaving me in this situation.  (Yeah, I’m sure that’s one of the phases of grief.  Frankly, they all s*ck.)  

Sometimes I feel like I have no control over my life at all.  Maybe this is why I spend money for discretionary items I don’t need and food I shouldn’t eat. I feel like I’m so out of step with everyone else.  I’m not interested in 95% of the things they are.  Of course, I never really have been.  That’s why the OG and I kind of lived in our own world all those years.  

Anyway, enough of that.  @just bee , @aprilskies , I think we all need to remember the 🐝’s words above and forget beating ourselves up about stuff we keep saying doesn’t mean anything.  Buy what luxuries you can afford and are important to you, that make you feel good, make your life easier or give you peace.  And forget everything else.  Forget how other people may be living or what they might like.  If something is impeding your happiness and/or well-being, get rid of it.  If you don’t love it or need it enough to take care of it, you don’t need it.  

@geezerette 

Ditto! Heart

@just bee 

Sounds good, doesn’t it?  It’s always easy to tell other people what to do and how to live their lives!😄

So, why is it I can’t seem to take my own advice?!😖

❤️

Honored Contributor

@@just bee wrote:

@geezerette 

@aprilskies 

It has always kinda rubbed me the wrong way to hear that we all should live "in the moment."  If we're all living in the moment, doesn't that mean the moment is really crowded?

But the older I get the more I think it makes sense.  Living in the past and collecting remnants that keep you there is probably not the best choice.  Focusing entirely on the future isn't so great, either.  You miss what's happening now.

They say "one day at a time."  It's all we can do right now because we just don't know what to expect from day to day.  Do I want to use my savings to get my house -- literally -- in order?

Too much to think about.

@just bee 

That’s why we prefer to talk about tea sales...😉💕

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I have been berating myself lately for all the decisions I’ve been making, not to mention all the money going out the window.  And being p*ssed at the OG for leaving me in this situation.  (Yeah, I’m sure that’s one of the phases of grief.  Frankly, they all s*ck.)  

Sometimes I feel like I have no control over my life at all.  Maybe this is why I spend money for discretionary items I don’t need and food I shouldn’t eat. I feel like I’m so out of step with everyone else.  I’m not interested in 95% of the things they are.  Of course, I never really have been.  That’s why the OG and I kind of lived in our own world all those years.  

@geezerette 

If we beat ourselves up for every stupid decision we've ever made and if we had made other choices we might have missed out on some really interesting parts of our lives.  Important parts.  Meaningful parts.  I walk around this neighborhood thinking that we should have bought a house here.  The dog would have loved it.  But if we hadn't bought our house where we bought it we never would have met our dog.

I think our scripts are written for us.  We are just players, moving the drama forward.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette 

If we beat ourselves up for every stupid decision we've ever made and if we had made other choices we might have missed out on some really interesting parts of our lives.  Important parts.  Meaningful parts.  I walk around this neighborhood thinking that we should have bought a house here.  The dog would have loved it.  But if we hadn't bought our house where we bought it we never would have met our dog.

I think our scripts are written for us.  We are just players, moving the drama forward.

@just bee 

Very true and profound.

We both sound like a couple of downers today, though!🤣

How does BH feel about all this house stuff?  

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette 

@just bee 

Very true and profound.

@geezerette 

Frustrated.  All we hear is: "Wheee!  You're getting a new house!"  Like we won the lottery.

Not the case.  At all.  We lost a lot of what we owned.  We've been inconvenienced.  Our neighbors have been inconvenienced and will continue to be inconvenienced.  We lost our cars which were paid off and had to replace them.  We have replaced several items and we're spending money we wouldn't have spent.  We have a list of things to do and it feels like an obstacle course.  Google will have the photo of our burned house out there for years.  Property taxes and insurance rates will soar.  We didn't want a new house or new cars.  We wanted what we had.  We were working through our list of projects and were getting the house to where we wanted it to be.  I wanted the roses, the oleander, the hummingbird bush.  The original brick.

I could go on, but why?  We won't know how it will all turn out until... whenever.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette 

@just bee 

Very true and profound.

@geezerette 

Frustrated.  All we hear is: "Wheee!  You're getting a new house!"  Like we won the lottery.

Not the case.  At all.  We lost a lot of what we owned.  We've been inconvenienced.  Our neighbors have been inconvenienced and will continue to be inconvenienced.  We lost our cars which were paid off and had to replace them.  We have replaced several items and we're spending money we wouldn't have spent.  We have a list of things to do and it feels like an obstacle course.  Google will have the photo of our burned house out there for years.  Property taxes and insurance rates will soar.  We didn't want a new house or new cars.  We wanted what we had.  We were working through our list of projects and were getting the house to where we wanted it to be.  I wanted the roses, the oleander, the hummingbird bush.  The original brick.

I could go on, but why?  We won't know how it will all turn out until... whenever.

@just bee 

You could always chuck it all, load up the dog and flee to the wilds of Wyoming. Live off the grid.  Grow your own veggies, hunt your own meat.  Of course, then you’d be worrying about a whole new set of problems.  Like getting eaten by a bear in the middle of the night.

Under the current circumstances, maybe it’s not such a good idea for you to “live in the moment”.  But it could be worse.  At least you have a nice place to walk The World’s Greatest Dog.  Take a cue from him.  He just enjoys being with you and BH when he can.  Chasing a squirrel, grabbing a nap on a soft bed, regular meals.  

WGD couldn’t care less if your cabinets will be new or restored.

❤️ 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette 

@just bee 

Very true and profound.

@geezerette 

@just bee 

You could always chuck it all, load up the dog and flee to the wilds of Wyoming. Live off the grid.  Grow your own veggies, hunt your own meat.  Of course, then you’d be worrying about a whole new set of problems.  Like getting eaten by a bear in the middle of the night.

Under the current circumstances, maybe it’s not such a good idea for you to “live in the moment”.  But it could be worse.  At least you have a nice place to walk The World’s Greatest Dog.  Take a cue from him.  He just enjoys being with you and BH when he can.  Chasing a squirrel, grabbing a nap on a soft bed, regular meals.  

WGD couldn’t care less if your cabinets will be new or restored.

❤️ 

@geezerette 

That's exactly the conversation we had last night. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

🤣 👍

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

🤣 👍

@geezerette 

And whenever I get bogged down by all the details, I have to take a moment to remind myself that the three of us were really close to being incinerated.

And now I have to think about getting a nap before I go to work. Woman Tongue

Respected Contributor

I am learning a lot at your expense @just bee about catastrophies that happen to our homes and the lack of help/finances that our insurance companies provide.  I assumed if you had total replacement, that meant total replacement.  Evidently not.  What have we all been paying into all these years (black hole) only to find out not everthing is as it seems.  Best wishes for the road you are travelling.....