Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 -- Optimistic October

@just bee wrote:

Good thing I got the dog out when it was just lightly sprinkling.  It's gloomy out there and raining so hard now that I can't even see the Sandias.  We had a nice walk and looked at everyone's Halloween decor.

Someone had an inflatable bee.  It was deflated, but now I want to see what it looks like when it's not.  The dog hates the inflatables.

Kinda gloomy inside today, too, so I'm doing laundry and burning a candle.  I found an old cinnamon one in the collection that had never been lit.  Scent is... faint.  Really faint.

BH and I will make some kind of cream soup later today.  They say it may snow tomorrow so I'm already in hibernation mode.

Maybe I'll watch a movie.

How are you spending this lovely autumn day?

@just bee

Its rainy, cool and gloomy here today too.  So I’m doing my usual Sunday chores: washing and ironing.  I’m trying to ignore all the muddy paw prints on the floor until next week when the weather is supposed to clear up.  It did finally cool off after a horrendous summer, but I am totally jealous of your possible snow.  

Got any snow covered bosque photos?  Bet that’s gorgeous!  Snow in the desert was always my favorite time of the year.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Good thing I got the dog out when it was just lightly sprinkling.  It's gloomy out there and raining so hard now that I can't even see the Sandias.  We had a nice walk and looked at everyone's Halloween decor.

Someone had an inflatable bee.  It was deflated, but now I want to see what it looks like when it's not.  The dog hates the inflatables.

Kinda gloomy inside today, too, so I'm doing laundry and burning a candle.  I found an old cinnamon one in the collection that had never been lit.  Scent is... faint.  Really faint.

BH and I will make some kind of cream soup later today.  They say it may snow tomorrow so I'm already in hibernation mode.

Maybe I'll watch a movie.

How are you spending this lovely autumn day?

@just bee

Its rainy, cool and gloomy here today too.  So I’m doing my usual Sunday chores: washing and ironing.  I’m trying to ignore all the muddy paw prints on the floor until next week when the weather is supposed to clear up.  It did finally cool off after a horrendous summer, but I am totally jealous of your possible snow.  

Got any snow covered bosque photos?  Bet that’s gorgeous!  Snow in the desert was always my favorite time of the year.

@geezerette

Yes!  Snow in the desert is spectacular but what I really like is FOG in the desert.  But here's some snow.

snow

snow

snow

snow

snow

snow

snow

snow

snow

snow

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee

Gorgeous!  Brings back wonderful memories for me.  I can almost smell how clean and fresh the air is!❄️

Maybe the fog is so delightful because it’s so rare out there.  And it usually comes when it’s cold.  Unlike here, where we get it almost every morning—but in the hot, humid summer.  Yuck.

Now I’m really jealous of you.  How can you even think of leaving with landscapes like that?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

Gorgeous!  Brings back wonderful memories for me.  I can almost smell how clean and fresh the air is!❄️

Maybe the fog is so delightful because it’s so rare out there.  And it usually comes when it’s cold.  Unlike here, where we get it almost every morning—but in the hot, humid summer.  Yuck.

Now I’m really jealous of you.  How can you even think of leaving with landscapes like that?

@geezerette

It reminds me when I'd bring my school yearbook home.  Family members would see a photo of a classmate and point out how "unfortunate" the person looked.  I'd have to explain that the person was, in fact, one of the most attractive in the whole school.  Stunning, even.  And then there would be a photo that would get praise.  And that classmate was, in real life, pleasant enough, but no traffic-stopper.

This is when I began to understand how some individuals were photogenic while others were not.

New Mexico is like one of my classmates.  Pleasant enough, but really photogenic when it counts.

The state is flawed.  But there's potential.  And no hurricanes.  I'd stay because I have no idea where else we'd go.

I really don't care for the idea of job hunting in a new state.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

@geezerette

It reminds me when I'd bring my school yearbook home.  Family members would see a photo of a classmate and point out how "unfortunate" the person looked.  I'd have to explain that the person was, in fact, one of the most attractive in the whole school.  Stunning, even.  And then there would be a photo that would get praise.  And that classmate was, in real life, pleasant enough, but no traffic-stopper.

This is when I began to understand how some individuals were photogenic while others were not.

New Mexico is like one of my classmates.  Pleasant enough, but really photogenic when it counts.

The state is flawed.  But there's potential.  And no hurricanes.  I'd stay because I have no idea where else we'd go.

I really don't care for the idea of job hunting in a new state.

@just bee

The more I think about my situation, the more I agree with this.

Respected Contributor

@just bee- I used to play the scrub game too! 25 years ago when I first got out of nursing school buying scrubs was fun because we could wear any color we wanted. I had all sorts of pretty, bright colored solid pants and printed tops.

Then maybe 10-15 years ago our hospital decided that each "profession" had to wear only one color so that patients could tell who was walking into their room. Nursing assistants wear burgundy, respiratory therapy wears gray, housekeeping wears navy, etc. RN's got stuck with ceil blue. What a boring, drab color. After that it wasn't fun buying scrubs anymore and I avoided it until my scrubs were literally wearing out and falling apart. The only good thing was that it was easy to get dressed in the morning, same thing literally every day. Bummer that you have to buy ugly, new scrubs, I feel your pain. 

Respected Contributor

Sorry girls, but I'm not a fan of snow ever. Yes, I know I live in Michigan, but only because I was born here and haven't left, yet. I'm already grumbing because the weather has gone from the 80's to the 40's in the course of 3 days. I'd love some nice 60 degree fall days, but it goes from hot to cold like this every year it seems. I literally went from wearing shorts on Wednesday to a winter coat on Friday to a parade. It's crazy. I guess I should at least be grateful we haven't got hit by a hurricane huh?

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee- I used to play the scrub game too! 25 years ago when I first got out of nursing school buying scrubs was fun because we could wear any color we wanted. I had all sorts of pretty, bright colored solid pants and printed tops.

Then maybe 10-15 years ago our hospital decided that each "profession" had to wear only one color so that patients could tell who was walking into their room. Nursing assistants wear burgundy, respiratory therapy wears gray, housekeeping wears navy, etc. RN's got stuck with ceil blue. What a boring, drab color. After that it wasn't fun buying scrubs anymore and I avoided it until my scrubs were literally wearing out and falling apart. The only good thing was that it was easy to get dressed in the morning, same thing literally every day. Bummer that you have to buy ugly, new scrubs, I feel your pain. 

@rnmom

Our hospital is color-coded, too.  It doesn't mean a thing to the patients.  I even have "RN" in big letters on my badge and my patients still think I'm their doctor.  Staff can't even keep the colors straight.

Nurses were sewing their own scrub tops because they all had found the perfect pattern.  They collected beautiful fabric.  They'd wear scrubs with hot air balloons during the fiesta.

Then it all came to an end.  That's when I started wearing colors and patterns on my feet.  That spread and everyone else started investing in shoes.

But this new logo is so... generic.  Gak.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Sorry girls, but I'm not a fan of snow ever. Yes, I know I live in Michigan, but only because I was born here and haven't left, yet. I'm already grumbing because the weather has gone from the 80's to the 40's in the course of 3 days. I'd love some nice 60 degree fall days, but it goes from hot to cold like this every year it seems. I literally went from wearing shorts on Wednesday to a winter coat on Friday to a parade. It's crazy. I guess I should at least be grateful we haven't got hit by a hurricane huh?

@rnmom

The temperature dropped like a rock last night.  It's raining but it looks like there's a wall of white betwen our side of town and the Sandias.  It's probably snowing across town.  It's 34 degrees and feels like 21.  It's been snowing in Santa Fe.

Rain is coming up from Tucson and cold air is moving down from Montana and Colorado.  When the two meet here, this is what we get.

Good thing Balloon Fiesta's over!

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@rnmom

I was born and raised there too, but I left over 40 years ago.  Not because I didn’t like the weather, but because the Old Geezer hated it.  Didn’t like the overcast, dreary days and hated snow.  I’m not a hot weather person, but I’ve ended up living the majority of my life in places that are hotter more often than cold because of him. 

I do have to admit that even when I lived in Michigan, I got claustrophobic when we had a big snowstorm.  And I hated to have to drive in the snow or be dressed for work and have to navigate slippery, slushy walkways in my heels.  

Now that I’m by myself, I had fleetingly considered moving back simply because most of my family still lives there.  But that thought lasted about five minutes before I nixed it.  The winter weather was just one reason to not go.  Even though I prefer cool/cold weather to warm/hot, the thought of having to live through those winters again at this stage of my life (and beyond) does not sound practical, let alone enjoyable.

But, you’ll notice that I said “snow in the desert is my favorite”.  That’s a completely different experience than snow where it’s humid.  Even when we lived in the mountains and it was snowy for most of the winter, it was much nicer than any winter in Michigan.  The low humidity makes a world of difference.  

As far as going from summer to winter overnight, that happens in a lot of places.  We had one whole day of 70degree sun before our winter weather started.  Literally air conditioning one day and heat the next.  This has been a particularly weird summer in a lot of places.  And I do notice that the last couple of years we’ve had odd weather.

I do feel for ya @rnmom.  My mother hated Michigan weather and was in heaven when they moved out west.  My father, however, thought Michigan was heaven.  When he died, we took his ashes back there because we knew that would have been what he wanted.  When my mother died, she stayed out west.  She had threatened that if we took her back east she would come back and haunt us!👻😄