Honored Contributor

ComPact 2018 -- Optimistic October

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.”  "Only the store, online no more!" “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 -- Optimistic October

HEP Cat

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation.

This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

HEP Dog

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee 

My lifestyle now and in the past minimalist. This is true with everything.

Respected Contributor

@just bee-Thanks for starting us off again for another new month! I can't believe it is October already! 

I still haven't done well with HEP at all, who knows how long it will be before I get myself back on track with that. I know I gained back all the weight I lost a couple of years ago. I'm afraid to get on the scale but I can tell it in my clothes for sure. Hopefully this month I will start to regain at least a little control in that area.

I will continue to work on the everyday daily decluttering, I don't know how much big purging I will do. Now that we've gone thru the kids clothes the big purge will be done for a while. I usually do a bit more around the holidays and after the first of the year I usually will start to get more motivated again. 

I'm still trying to be mindful of my purchases and trying to use up items before I purchase more. I'm doing better in that respect and have my beauty items down to a reasonable level. I have a couple of items here that I'm not loving so I'm finding myself browsing for replacements, but I'm hoping to use at least a couple more things up before I buy replacements for them.

Here's to an optimistic October!

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@just bee 

My lifestyle now and in the past minimalist. This is true with everything.

@Sweet_Serenity

That might explain why you're so serene! Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I know it's October because my inbox is filled with messages from companies that want me to know that they're making me offers I can't refuse just because it's my birthday month.

Delete, delete, delete.

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

Mental stimulation owning abundance unhealthy in so many ways. Speaking only for myself. Instead investing money wisely afforded earlier retirement. 

Honored Contributor

I'd mentioned at the end of September's thread that I'd have to go to Costco to pick up some more fish oil.  I'd also thought about picking up some shirts that were in the coupon book.  A 2-pack of long sleeve shirts -- just something to wear under my scrubs.

I thought about picking those shirts up all month long, but once we finally found a parking spot and got into the store, all I wanted to do was grab the fish oil and get the h_ll outta there.

So much for thinking everyone would be home watching football.

No new shirts.  But I do have a lot of old cotton and cotton-blend turtlenecks squirreled away so I may drag them out and start wearing them to work.  I just hate the thought of buying anything new.  I did buy a shirt from Costco recently that was featured in the previous coupon book and I hate it because every time I look at it I'm reminded that I bought it the day before the coupon price kicked in and paid full price.

I hate when I do that.  Has anyone else shopped prematurely, before the sale price is valid?  Most infuriating thing in the world. Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@just bee 

Mental stimulation owning abundance unhealthy in so many ways. Speaking only for myself. Instead investing money wisely afforded earlier retirement. 

@Sweet_Serenity

I watched an interview with Denzel Washington yesterday and he said something interesting:

"You never see a U-Haul behind a hearse."

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

Excellent point! Time and energy on acquiring stuff.

George Carlin routine on- Stuff! Brilliant so true. Never gets old.