Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 -- Optimistic October

@geezerette

@rnmom

I spent my first ten years in Chicago.  When we lived on Sheridan Road, a block from Lake Michigan, my spindly little elementary school body would get blown into traffic by the wind off the lake.  I was also shorter than the snowdrifts.  Think Big Snow of '67.

Slush mixed with mud mixed with oil from cars.  Fell and ruined more school clothes than I want to remember.  It was crummy as a kid, but as an adult who has to get to work in the morning?  Forget it!  I don't want to live where I have to keep my car battery toasty at night.

BH wants to live where there are "real" four seasons.  This coming from someone who was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I think about Wyoming and suspect it's got everything I dislike about New Mexico. 

I like the idea of remote, but not the reality.  I want everything within walking distance.  That's tricky in the West, but I still try.  Most things I need are a short drive away.

Fantasy life versus real life again.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee

I remember that snow of ‘67.  It was the first time our schools were closed because of snow.  Even my sister had to stay home from college.  But my father still had to brave the crosstown drive to work since he worked in a steel mill and the furnaces had to keep going.

Fantasy life vs. real life is right.  Country living is nice in a lot of ways, but it’s definitely not convenient.  I’d love to be able to be within walking distance to all my shopping, but I don’t want to live where I’d actually be able to do that.  I’ve always said that I’d like to live on 40 acres in the middle of a city.

Of course in another few years, if I’m lucky to last that long on my own, I won’t have a choice.  But for now I’m going to try to concentrate on the good things about living in the boonies while I can.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

I remember that snow of ‘67.  It was the first time our schools were closed because of snow.  Even my sister had to stay home from college.  But my father still had to brave the crosstown drive to work since he worked in a steel mill and the furnaces had to keep going.

Fantasy life vs. real life is right.  Country living is nice in a lot of ways, but it’s definitely not convenient.  I’d love to be able to be within walking distance to all my shopping, but I don’t want to live where I’d actually be able to do that.  I’ve always said that I’d like to live on 40 acres in the middle of a city.

Of course in another few years, if I’m lucky to last that long on my own, I won’t have a choice.  But for now I’m going to try to concentrate on the good things about living in the boonies while I can.

@geezerette

Yup.  Schools closed and cars were stranded on city streets, covered in snow.  The city was still.  Shelves in grocery stores were bare.  We started running out of food and it felt like we were living on Pillsbury biscuits.

And then my sister decided to go into labor.  The police had to get her out of her apartment and to the hospital.

Good times, good times.

Steel mills, huh?  My mother's dad worked in the mills of Erie, Pennsylvania.  Erie Forge and Steel.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Hi everyone!

Just bumping this thread up so that it doesn't get lost, can't have that happen!

Not much going on over here, just trying to get used to the change in weather. Man it sure got cold quick, I'm really not ready for this. 

I haven't been doing much purging but I'm still trying to keep up with the one item a day, even if it's as small as a mismatched sock or a broken chip clip. I guess every little bit helps. I have to go thru our hat/glove bag, we have a huge bag in the mudroom closet with all of our cold weather gear in it and I was looking for a hat and gloves for my son the other day and getting frustrated because I couldn't find what I wanted. I'll try to get thru that this weekend. 

I've been doing pretty well holding off on the beauty purchases but I have to say, I checked out those fragrances at Walgreens that @aprilskies mentioned and I'm really tempted to try a few of them. I'm not really loving any of my fragrances right now and I've been wearing body sprays for ages, I'd love to find a regular old "perfume" type fragrance that I enjoy. I'm thinking about ordering a few and having hubby give them to me for my birthday in December.

I've also noticed lately that my foundations aren't looking good on my skin at all either. I have an Everyday Minerals powder foundation that I was enjoying but I'm not really now and my Missha BB cream is only fair too.

I had to place an order on Amazon and I ordered a Milani cream to powder foundation to try. I hope I like it, I'm really getting tired of searching for a decent foundation too. 

How is everyone else doing? Anything new and exciting to share?

Honored Contributor

@rnmom

I was just getting ready to post something to "bump" us up -- thanks for beating me to it because I really had nothing interesting to say. Woman LOL

I was going to talk about the weather and since you've mentioned the cold, I will.  Our "cold" spell is over.  I enjoyed it while it lasted but now we're back into the 60s.  In fact, we'll be close to 70 degrees today.

Ugh.  Foundation.  I'm still happy with Lumene CC cream and my final tube should last a few months.  I don't know if I should track down another tube or just switch.  Lumene has complicated things by broadening their selection of shades and variety of formulas.

But then I think about my recent experimentation with purlisse.  The memory of that product and how much I looked like Baby Jane Hudson is still annoying me.  I'm just not looking forward to "the search."

I hope you find something that works for you.  When I turned 50, everything changed.  Today I turned 59.  I imagine everything will change again as I get closer to 60.

What I do know is that I'm going to be investing in hair maintenance.  I've had "natural," wash and wear hair all my life and now I like the idea of getting it cut into something that resembles a style.  I don't like the idea of paying for it, but I do like a very short cut and I can't be trusted with scissors.

I'm watching something disgusting on TV right now.  I looked up and saw a group of children violating Opal apples with chocolate chips and marshmallows.  Why would you do that?

Honored Contributor

@just bee

Happy Birthday!  🎂🥂🎉🎈💐

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

Happy Birthday!  🎂🥂🎉🎈💐

@geezerette

Thank you!  I'm not doing anything interesting.  I keep thinking I should celebrate with an ice cream cone or a maple cream donut but I can't seem to muster up the enthusiasm to go out and get something.  We talked about getting sushi but part of me just wants to stay home and watch baseball.  And fall asleep around the bottom of the third inning.

Super Contributor

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @just bee  

I hope you have a wonderful day! I'm not much of a poster, but I always look forward to reading your threads.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

After this week's donations, I'm finally starting to see small pockets of emptiness in the house. Still a long way to go, but I feel like I'm accomplishing something. Early in the week I dropped off clothes, shoes, and miscellaneous at Goodwill. Had a second load by Thursday which include several bottles of EDP and EDT. Since Goodwill doesn't take them, I stopped at a nearby church on the way that was getting ready for their big annual rummage sale. I ended up dropping off the whole second load there.

I have many many more bottles of fragrance. I'm starting to retry a few each week. Any that I don't absolutely love will be going into the donation box. I'm also making an extra effort getting boxes out of the basement. Boxes with things that have been there for 10+ years. The more I get rid of, the easier it gets. I'm 64, and want to keep the momentum going and am looking forward enjoying as many years as possible living a spartan lifestyle.

just bee birthday.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:
I'm 64, and want to keep the momentum going and am looking forward enjoying as many years as possible living a spartan lifestyle.

@Caffeina

One day you'll stand in your basement and pronounce:

SPARTAN!

(My boxes have been in the spare room for 23 years!)