Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Now November

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

Well, I made it through the weekend without ordering Josie's TSV, only to find it still available this morning.  As I was sitting here trying to decide where I was going to store it, I came across you wonderful people.  Thank you for saving me $80.  Josie may have another TSV before I need anything. 

I have so enjoyed catching up with all your comments and, I too, could just put my name in place of all of you.  I still have so much stash, including tea, to use up and still shop for more. 

I have gone WFPB starting Feb 1, and I can't imagine ever going back to my old way of eating.  I had checked out so many diets, you would swear I was certified dietician, but never heard of whole foods plant based.  I found Sweet Serenity's post in wellness while trying to decide what to give up for Lent.  My husband has remarked so many times that this is the first he has ever seen me stick to anything.  There is endless info out there if anyone is interested. 

I wish all of you the best in this upcoming shopping season.  Hugs, not hauls.

@Beauty$Junkie

Diets don't work because we look at them as a quick fix -- a way to lose weight short term so we can go back to the way we were eating before.

You have been successful because you made a change and it became habit.  It's how you eat now.  It's natural to you.

That's how everything works.  You have to adopt the change and stick with it until it becomes habit.  Until it becomes normal.

That's why tossing everything doesn't work.  We just collect it all over again.  Gradual changes in behavior make the difference.

I need to start doing that! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

Just Bee, you have brought me back to when I first found this group.  I said I could not throw away my stash as I knew I would set me off on repurchasing.  It is a great day to enjoy some hot tea.

Honored Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

Just Bee, you have brought me back to when I first found this group.  I said I could not throw away my stash as I knew I would set me off on repurchasing.  It is a great day to enjoy some hot tea.

@Beauty$Junkie

It is!  Except I can't seem to adopt boiling water on the stove.  Funny, I did that for decades but I can't seem to do it now.  Well, I am doing it but I'm just not enjoying it.

When I first started ordering tea I wanted to try as many varieties as possible.  I soon discovered I had preferences and I only reached for my favorites.

Now that I haven't ordered my favorites and I'm rationing them, I'm drinking non-favorites on my days off.  I'm finally putting a dent in them.

Some are better than others, but each one is different.  I actually had a mug of green tea yesterday that tasted really good.  I don't remember green tea tasting like anything at all, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Good thing.  I have a lot of green tea in the cupboard!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

@Beauty$Junkie

It is!  Except I can't seem to adopt boiling water on the stove.  Funny, I did that for decades but I can't seem to do it now.  Well, I am doing it but I'm just not enjoying it.

When I first started ordering tea I wanted to try as many varieties as possible.  I soon discovered I had preferences and I only reached for my favorites.

Now that I haven't ordered my favorites and I'm rationing them, I'm drinking non-favorites on my days off.  I'm finally putting a dent in them.

Some are better than others, but each one is different.  I actually had a mug of green tea yesterday that tasted really good.  I don't remember green tea tasting like anything at all, so I was pleasantly surprised.

@just bee

Quick!  What is it?  Every green tea I try has no flavor.  It just tastes like warm water to me, unless I have some that has lemon in it.  Then it tastes like warm lemon water.  I’d like to get into some decent green tea for summer, since it’s lighter than the black I normally prefer.

All your tea discussion has caused me to haul out mine.  I tossed the old coffee pot and have been awaiting the mini Keurig I ordered.  I don’t drink coffee everyday (and shouldn’t, because too much hurts my stomach), but I wanted something to keep for when I do want some or if friends come over. Anyway, in the meantime I started in with the orange spice tea I had for the last couple of days. I got the Keurig today and made a couple of cups of coffee.  After not drinking it for so long, I find I prefer the tea.  I don’t like the coffee unless I dilute it with cream/milk and sugar.  Which is not good on a daily basis.  I can get away with a half teaspoon of sugar or honey with a cup of tea.

Glad I didn’t invest in an expensive huge coffee pot.

Of course, a stop at Starbucks for Pumpkin Spice Latte on town days is not off my schedule.😉😄

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

The clock was ticking on my tea offer so I went ahead and ordered three items.

Picked up more apples at the growers market today because I want my sister to try them.  Good news: They voted to extend the season one more week so I can get more apples next weekend.

And I scored a business card so now I know where they grow them if I want a big box.

I might! Woman LOL

@just bee

I really wish I could get into your love of apples.  I’ve never been much of a fan.  Every time I buy a couple, they end up sitting around and rotting.  It’s not that I dislike them, it’s just that I don’t particularly like them, if that makes any sense.  

I’m going to try the plain, organic peanut butter again, and I thought I would get an apple or two to go with it.  Maybe both together will be better than either alone!

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I would love to find a nice caramel and vanilla tea.  Either together or separate. 

@aprilskies

I hear ya!  I'm also looking for a nice caramel and vanilla shower gel.

Once I'm done with the ones I have now, of course.

@just bee, I do have a vanilla bean macaron tea that I have been drinking lately. It is not bad. I think I will cut up a chocolate covered caramel and see if it will melt in there next time. It might do the trick.

That scent in a shower gel would be divine. 

@aprilskies

I really do think that’s the only reason I use WEN.  That Winter Vanilla Mint is to die for.  It really does smell just like Andes mints.  Makes shower time heavenly.

The weird thing is, I never have like Andes mints.😄 

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

A couple weeks ago I took 3 dozen glass votive candle holders to Goodwill. They were leftover supplies from my former candlemaking days. This weekend I found more votive candle holders and other assorted candle accessories from my personal use collection, scattered in a few different furniture storage areas. I packed up 20 of them that I personally won't use or miss, plus some votive candles and tapers I don't like, and they'll be taken to Goodwill sometime this week.

I rarely mention buying something I don't need, but last night I did just that. I bought the Mally 8-piece Evercolor Shadow Sticks, the Beauty IQ Steal. It took me 3 days to justify the purchase to myself. At least it's not included in my committed no-buys of home fragrance or bath and body products.

@Caffeina

Good heavens, girl!  With everyone around here confessing to overbuying, don’t feel bad at all for one small purchase.  

And as you said, it’s not included in your commitment.  Justification.  It works every time.🙂

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

Well, I made it through the weekend without ordering Josie's TSV, only to find it still available this morning.  As I was sitting here trying to decide where I was going to store it, I came across you wonderful people.  Thank you for saving me $80.  Josie may have another TSV before I need anything. 

I have so enjoyed catching up with all your comments and, I too, could just put my name in place of all of you.  I still have so much stash, including tea, to use up and still shop for more. 

I have gone WFPB starting Feb 1, and I can't imagine ever going back to my old way of eating.  I had checked out so many diets, you would swear I was certified dietician, but never heard of whole foods plant based.  I found Sweet Serenity's post in wellness while trying to decide what to give up for Lent.  My husband has remarked so many times that this is the first he has ever seen me stick to anything.  There is endless info out there if anyone is interested. 

I wish all of you the best in this upcoming shopping season.  Hugs, not hauls.

@Beauty$Junkie

Diets don't work because we look at them as a quick fix -- a way to lose weight short term so we can go back to the way we were eating before.

You have been successful because you made a change and it became habit.  It's how you eat now.  It's natural to you.

That's how everything works.  You have to adopt the change and stick with it until it becomes habit.  Until it becomes normal.

That's why tossing everything doesn't work.  We just collect it all over again.  Gradual changes in behavior make the difference.

I need to start doing that! Woman LOL

@Beauty$Junkie

@just bee

Yes, now that QVC is keeping the TSVs around for longer, temptation is going to be rearing its ugly head more often.  

I haven’t ever tried a completely plant based diet, but what works best for me is natural whole foods.  The added ingredients in junk or convenience foods cause problems for me.  Too much for too long causes food sensitivities to come back and makes me feel crummy.  Along with taking too long to right myself afterwards.  And, as @just bee says, if you keep at it consistently it becomes a lifestyle.  But it’s more work, and I’m lazy.  And now that I’m cooking just for me alone, it’s harder.  Also tough is eating out with friends.  That gets all those taste buds wanting bad stuff again.

Eating real food also tends to regulate my weight without worrying about dieting.  As long as the real food doesn’t include too much real sugar, real fat and real carbohydrates.  My mother had a good rule.  She had a specific weight that she maintained her lifetime.  When she would creep above that just five pounds, she stopped eating desserts until she lost those five pounds.  It was a simple idea, although she did love her sweets.  But she said it’s easier to lose five pounds than letting it get to twenty or thirty and then having to lose that.  It’s also less damaging to your body.

Sometimes I think if I just could live like my parents did, I’d have a lot less to worry about.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@just bee

Quick!  What is it?  Every green tea I try has no flavor.  It just tastes like warm water to me, unless I have some that has lemon in it.  Then it tastes like warm lemon water.  I’d like to get into some decent green tea for summer, since it’s lighter than the black I normally prefer.

@geezerette

Exactly!  It tastes like dishwater.  Harney & Sons sells an Organic Green with Citrus and Ginkgo that actually tasted like something other than dishwater yesterday.  They also sell Tropical Green that's flavored with pineapple.  Smells great.  Bangkok is also known as Green Tea with Coconut and Ginger (and lemongrass and vanilla).  Have them all and I like them.

Now one I haven't tried is their Green Hot Cinnamon Spice -- I drink the black version.

I also have Chinese Flower (green tea, lemon flavor, orange peel, marigold, cornflower, rosebuds).  Still trying to figure that one out.  It's... interesting.

BH has given up caffeine completely.  No coffee, tea or soda.  I keep thinking I should switch to green to limit some of the staining, but I kinda like the sturdy black teas.  Who needs white teeth?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

The clock was ticking on my tea offer so I went ahead and ordered three items.

Picked up more apples at the growers market today because I want my sister to try them.  Good news: They voted to extend the season one more week so I can get more apples next weekend.

And I scored a business card so now I know where they grow them if I want a big box.

I might! Woman LOL

@just bee

I really wish I could get into your love of apples.  I’ve never been much of a fan.  Every time I buy a couple, they end up sitting around and rotting.  It’s not that I dislike them, it’s just that I don’t particularly like them, if that makes any sense.  

I’m going to try the plain, organic peanut butter again, and I thought I would get an apple or two to go with it.  Maybe both together will be better than either alone!

@geezerette

I'm surprised I can still type.  I was in the middle of typing my previous message to you about green tea before the phone rang and I made the mistake of answering it.

My idea of putting my sister and her husband in the B&B near my house fell through because they don't have available beds this week.  So she emailed me and said they were looking at staying at a motel/hotel very close to where I work.  Not a good choice.

So then she called me.  I think the last time we spoke on the phone was ten years ago when I was trying to make arrangements for my ailing mother and by the time I got off the phone with my sister I got the call that my mother had died and I wasn't there.  No, I was going to be there, but then my phone rang.

I have to live with that.

But back to apples.  I've covered these with that organic peanut butter and it makes the peanut butter taste so much better!  Now that I'm getting used to it not being Skippy, I'll be able to transition to it on cinnamon raisin bread.

I'm starting to get feeling back in my arm again.  I'm not used to holding a phone to my ear for that amount of time.  My arm was so useless that I couldn't even open the dog's kibble container.  Funny, I had no problem opening those big tins with the dog faces on them that I had for 20 years -- until BH took them to Goodwill and replaced them with this thing I can't open if I close it too tightly to begin with.

There.  I've vented.