@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@PAladysuggested November's name:

"How about 'Now'  - I saw a saying on Pinterest:  Now is the time for less."

But @aprilskies also had a suggestion:

"Noooooooooooooooo."

Like, Just Say Noooooooooooovember.

You'll know which one works best for you! Woman LOL

@just bee@PaLady1, I think Palady had it right. NOW is the time for less.

@It is even time for less headaches, @geezerette.  Yesterday made my third order to get delivered to the wrong place. Third. I have not had that happen before. It has been 3 in a couple of months now.  I know things happen, but 3, what are these delivery people smoking.  But instead of being irritated at them, NOW is the time for less ordering and minimizing what is coming in. I need to do that anyway. I have a couple of more deliveries coming, one I am not concerned with, but the other one, I am anxious to receive.  But, should I be feeling anxious about deliveries. Sheesh.  Not major world problems. 

HEP, forget it, it has just been horrendous and getting worse and we are going into the holiday season fast.  Since today starts a new month, I will try and be mindful how much I am consuming. No time like NOW.  I cant believe how hard it is. 

And, you know, I am simply tired of organizing, how many times can I organize only to find myself in the same boat. I know upkeep is an ongoing process, but this is silly now, I spend way too much time organizing and reorganizing things I am not even really sure I need.  Plus, you know what dawned on me, with all of these deliveries, all it does is create more work, whether I need to make extra phone calls to resolve, finding places for all fo the things and the worse dealing with all of the boxes I now have to break down and toss.  Some of that packaging is downright wasteful. And then we wonder, how the earth is getting destroyed.  It is time to think about consumption. 

I better run, I feel a rant coming on....

NOW is the time for less.  NOW is the time for a new mindset. NOW, how do we begin to break old habits. 

@aprilskies

All I have to do is copy your post and put my name on it.  Everything you say pretty much is where I’m at too.  

The sad/frustrating/stupid thing is that I’ve been here before—many times.  There’s nothing more to add, nothing new to analyze.  I’m a binge consumer, be it with purchasing things or eating junk.  And I overdo until I get to the point that I’m overwhelmed, or as in the case with eating, physically ill.  Both are tied together and I’m sure a psychiatrist would have a field day with  me.

It’s not that I lack self-control.  I have it.  I just can’t keep it.   I do great for a few weeks or months, and then, off I go again.

As @just bee mentioned in another post, I’m just not motivated.  Especially after the last few months.  Apparently the only time I do get motivated to keep on the straight and narrow is when I’ve overdone everything and feel physically and mentally awful.

I keep telling myself that one of these days I will have gone too far to recover.  It’s starting to worry me.  That should be an easy fix because I’m the one that’s doing all this to myself.  I think I need to print that line out in big bold letters and hang it up all over my house to remind myself constantly why this is happening to me.

Trouble is, as soon as I get my act together it doesn’t take long before I’m thinking, “Just this once...”.  And I’m back on the hamster wheel once more.

@geezerette, wow, are you in my head?  We are so on the same exact page.  While I dont wish this on anyone, I am glad I am not alone.  Like I said before, I feel nuts. Move over on the couch, we can do a 2 for 1.  See, a sale. Woman Wink

But, I am worried too.  Not the spending, whatever, it is important and I am working on it,  but my eating habits need to change. I too dont feel well mentally and physically and you would think it is easy to just STOP, but by golly, for the first time ever, I can understand how people cannot. It is not that easy when it is tied to so many "things."  

But, yesterday was a success as far as sugar.  Not counting the sugars in food, I only had 3 small coffee caramels as a sweet treat.  But, yes, that was only Day 1.  I will take it day by day.  Day 2 pending......

We can do it @geezerette, it wont be easy, but maybe big signs all over will remind us even when we are feeling good to STOP!  We need to change directions before the road is paved for us.

BUT, why is it  that we can do great for a few days and one stinking cookie, or whatever, sends us barreling off of a cliff.  I dont understand it.

WE CAN DO IT!!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Now November

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee@PaLady1, I think Palady had it right. NOW is the time for less.

It is even time for less headaches@, @geezerette.  Yesterday made my third order to get delivered to the wrong place. Third. I have not had that happen before. It has been 3 in a couple of months now.  I know things happen, but 3, what are these delivery people smoking.  But instead of being irritated at them, NOW is the time for less ordering and minimizing what is coming in. I need to do that anyway. I have a couple of more deliveries coming, one I am not concerned with, but the other one, I am anxious to receive.  But, should I be feeling anxious about deliveries. Sheesh.  Not major world problems. 

HEP, forget it, it has just been horrendous and getting worse and we are going into the holiday season fast.  Since today starts a new month, I will try and be mindful how much I am consuming. No time like NOW.  I cant believe how hard it is. 

And, you know, I am simply tired of organizing, how many times can I organize only to find myself in the same boat. I know upkeep is an ongoing process, but this is silly now, I spend way too much time organizing and reorganizing things I am not even really sure I need.  Plus, you know what dawned on me, with all of these deliveries, all it does is create more work, whether I need to make extra phone calls to resolve, finding places for all fo the things and the worse dealing with all of the boxes I now have to break down and toss.  Some of that packaging is downright wasteful. And then we wonder, how the earth is getting destroyed.  It is time to think about consumption. 

I better run, I feel a rant coming on....

NOW is the time for less.  NOW is the time for a new mindset. NOW, how do we begin to break old habits. 

@aprilskies

I think you summed up things pretty well.

I say the best way to break old habits is to replace the old one with a new "better" habit.

What new habit will you adopt this month?

@just bee, new habit, hmmm. I am not going to set limits, they never work for me, however, I am going to be mindful of my snacking.  So, I am going to start with balancing out my day.  If I have something in the afternoon, I cannot at night. I have been successful at this before, didnt last long, but was successful and didnt feel deprived.  It is a start. 

My focus needs to be on my health.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee, lol on the creme savers.  Wow, can you ration, I cant believe you have any left.  That is amazing. You are lucky, those are just delis. Be happy I just cant jump on a plane, I would clean you out. Woman LOL

@aprilskies

The wrapper is a little sticky on the inside, but the candy still tastes great! Woman LOL

Speaking of candy, I was saddened that See's Candies closed its store at our local mall.  Have I ever shopped there?  No.  But See's was a big part of my life when I was younger.  My parents always had a box of chocolates in the house and they would often send me a pound of strawberry creams when I was in college.

But guess what?  See's has returned to Albuquerque.  The store reopened in the same mall.  Something about that made me happy.  I went online to look at all the varieties my parents liked best.

And then I saw the price of a 5-pound box: $127.50.

😱

@just bee, @geezerette, well at those prices, limiting snacking will be easy. Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Salton

My kettle.  The plastic push button on the plastic lid is failing.  I might just have to get dressed and go buy a tea kettle and a corkscrew today.

Or I could stop drinking tea and wine.

I'm getting dressed.

@just bee, an electric kettle for a tea drinker is a right.  I do love my tea kettle.  I dont drink tea often but need to start because I have a ton.  I refuse to toss it all like I did once before. Costly mistake. I love the thought of tea, but I am a coffee drinker at heart.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

BUT, why is it  that we can do great for a few days and one stinking cookie, or whatever, sends us barreling off of a cliff.  I dont understand it.

WE CAN DO IT!!!!

@aprilskies

@geezerette

I'm listening to talk radio and they're talking about the similarities between social media and fake monkey food.  That monkeys will continue to eat fake monkey food that has zero nutritional value and avoid real food because the fake monkey food just tastes better.

Eventually the monkeys die.

Humans are similar.  We are attracted to sugar, salt and fat.  Why?  Because they taste good and make other things taste better. 

But the real reason is we're addicted.  We're addicted to all sorts of things.  And to break our addiction we have to stop doing the thing that's addictive.

Alcoholics don't just have one little Manhattan when they go out.  Smokers don't have that one harmless cigarette.

If there's something that's so addictive that it's adversely affecting your life, it has to go away.

Oh, but it's just one Kettle chip.

It's never just one Kettle chip.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

WE CAN DO IT!!!!

@aprilskies

@geezerette

I'm listening to talk radio and they're talking about the similarities between social media and fake monkey food.  That monkeys will continue to eat fake monkey food that has zero nutritional value and avoid real food because the fake monkey food just tastes better.

Eventually the monkeys die.

Humans are similar.  We are attracted to sugar, salt and fat.  Why?  Because they taste good and make other things taste better. 

But the real reason is we're addicted.  We're addicted to all sorts of things.  And to break our addiction we have to stop doing the thing that's addictive.

Alcoholics don't just have one little Manhattan when they go out.  Smokers don't have that one harmless cigarette.

If there's something that's so addictive that it's adversely affecting your life, it has to go away.

Oh, but it's just one Kettle chip.

It's never just one Kettle chip.

@just bee,  yes, it is an addiction, no doubt about it.  It so funny, I was saying the other day to someone, why cant the foods that are bad for you be the healthy ones. Woman LOL

Truth be told, I conquered smoking 23 years ago, which was absolutely hard to do, and I am finding changing my eating habits, just as hard, which surprises me.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee, an electric kettle for a tea drinker is a right.  I do love my tea kettle.  I dont drink tea often but need to start because I have a ton.  I refuse to toss it all like I did once before. Costly mistake. I love the thought of tea, but I am a coffee drinker at heart.

@aprilskies

I used to be a coffee person.  But I was also a cat person.  Come to think of it, both were addictions.  I just substituted tea and dogs! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor
Honored Contributor

@just bee

@aprilskies

I’ve heard that sugar is more addicting than cocaine.  I’ve also heard that about nicotine.   And, as for myself, I think I can probably add caffeine in there somewhere.  Thankfully, I never got into tobacco, although that was the only thing The Old Geezer never could kick, and he was tough.  I also don’t do alcohol of any kind.  Not because I wouldn’t like to, but only because it literally makes me almost instantly ill.  (But I was at the dentist yesterday and I have to say that nitrous oxide is pretty darn sweet.)

And yes, the sugar and fat go together, at least for me.  I think this is one of the biggest reasons I can’t switch from baked goods to fruit.  I actually have gotten to the point that I don’t like things too sweet, like candy.  But combine the sweet with the fat, as in donuts or cookies, and it does become addictive.  In fact, I was doing very well on my HEP when the evil Starbucks brought back Pumpkin Spice Latte in September.  That is the ultimate addiction for me.  Sweet, fat, dairy and caffeine all in one.  At first I was only getting a cup when I went to town once a week.  Then it become two cups.  (Curses to microwaves because then I could heat the second cup the next day at home.)  And the real downfall was when I found they had brought it out this year in the plastic bottles available at grocery stores.  I now have almost a shelf full of these.  Meant to be rationed and last the winter after the holidays when it’s no longer available at Starbucks.  You know there’s no way that’s going to work.😞

The only way I’ve been able to keep away from this stuff is to do just that—keep away from it.  Resist while I’m shopping and don’t keep anything in the house.  I’ve tried moderation and it just doesn’t work for me.  I used to think that at one time I was moderate about my junk food, but that’s never been true.  It was only that we didn’t have enough money to afford keeping too much stuff around, and there were other people in the house that ate it too so rationing was forced.  Now that I can buy what I want, eat what and when I want, and have no one around that I may feel is judging me, I have absolutely no control.  

I used to to tell The Old Geezer that if anything happened to him, I would just eat junk food all the time and by doing so would commit suicide.  And if I could do that and just drop dead in a month or year, I’d be fine with that.  But the problem is that it doesn’t work that way.  You feel like 💩 and your mind doesn’t function while the damage is piling up.  Since I’m not ready to give control of my life to someone else by having an addiction that leads to some sort of commitment (as in rehab or hospital because of ill health), I guess I’d better get my act together.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/17/health/life-expectancy-forecasts-study-intl/index.html?no-st=15398701...

Well, isnt this timely.

@aprilskies

Alzheimer's and heart disease are rampant in my family.  I don't want to to live longer not knowing which end is up, so I'll continue what I'm doing and take the latter. 

Hopefully it doesn't happen when I'm driving.