Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Now November

@aprilskies wrote:

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

+

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies Great job on your No Buy November!!  I am definitely going to do a No-Buy in Beauty Products again for Lent in 2019.  (I can't do the whole year, but Lent is easy for me to do a no-buy--religious guilt).    I probably need to extend my no-buy this coming Lent to clothing, too. 

@momoftwo2007, Wasn’t I just going on how I didnt buy anything. I should know better on being too quick to talk. Well, I ended up buying a liquid foundation.  I dont have a liquid foundation and wanted something for the winter because my skin is so dry in the winter.  The beauties on this forum were sharing the 60% off sale at Eve Pearl so I ordered her HD Creme Foundation.  However, I only ordered what I needed and I ordered an item that if I like it, I am willing to pay the full price for.  Truthfully I should have ordered the light too just in case, but didnt do it. I don’t want to start adding a lot of products. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. 

But that was my only beauty purchase this month.  I have to say, in the last 15 years or so, this is the least I have spent on beauty in the month of November.

I think instead of a no buy in 2019, I will do a very low buy. I think it works better for me.  But, a true low buy.  I will have to think about this once I see how December goes. It sure is tough this time of year. 

@aprilskies You did so well!! Buying something you would be willing to pay full price for is a good plan. I go back & forth between doing a no-buy or a low-buy. Hannah Louise Poston said in one of her videos how she doesn't think about makeup as much. And how just because she wasn't shopping, it didn't mean that she wasn't thinking about it, in the past. I can totally relate to that. I'm still not at the point where I'm not thinking about or "window" shopping for makeup. I know I'm spending too much time and energy on it. Even strategizing how I will use things up makes me realize that I'm still a work in progress and have a long way to go. I'm still a far cry from a "normal" person that uses & purchases makeup "normally".  

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Yeah, I went ahead and stole @Oshare-girl's idea about restocking on Black Friday.  Except I waited until Cyber Monday to buy two Paula's Choice cleansers.  I actually had no backups and the price was right.

There.  I've contributed to the season's economic numbers.

Just wait until the plumber shows up on Monday.

@just bee I hope it works for you. It doesn't always work for me.Woman LOL One additional thing I started doing this year was making a note of when I did buy something during the year. So I will know when the sale will be and I can plan for it in coming years. Because sometimes Black Friday/Cyber Monday isn't the best sale. I found a twin-pack of Paula's Choice BHA on Nordstrom's sale back in July. It was pretty much 2 for the price of 1 and Nordstrom has free shipping. So next July I will keep my eye out for that sale again to restock PC's BHA. See, I spend way too much time & mental energy strategizing.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I use black Fri as a time to restock. I keep a list on my phone that I add or delete things. Then I try to hold out until Nov to purchase them. But I did take the liberty to splurge on some makeup... So I should probably do the no-buy 2019... 

I have 1 tub of body butter and 2 partial tubes of body lotion remaining that I purchased between 2017-2018. I pretty much did not use body lotion during the summer. So knowing that I only bought one additional lotion.  That should get me through 2019. I've gotten much better at not stocking up on bath & body products.

I have not gotten better at not buying eyeshadow. Sad face. 

@Oshare-girl, that is reallly not a bad idea. To keep a list of restock items and buy them November. I think I will do that next year.  I know I have enough stuff to get through for a while so I will do this next year as well.  I like this idea. 

All I know is makeup, and skincare, were so hard not to buy. Especially eyeshadow.  There were so many moments I just wanted to splurge and almost did. I wouldn’t mind hearing of what you bought if you want to share. 

I might as well live through someone. 😂 

@aprilskies Eek, my dirty secrets exposed?! Because you've been so good, I will share some of my badness. Smiley Embarassed During the VIB sale, I picked up the Natasha Denona Mini Star Palette and the Viseart Theory Palette in Cashmere. I told myself they are small palettes and I wanted to try these hyped up formulas. And they're on sale. They are nice but not THE MOST AMAZING THING EVER. In the same sale I also got a trio of Stila Shimmer & Glow liquid eyeshadows. Again on sale, tiny and hyped up. These I really like. But I don't need them. I could get a similar look with shimmer powders that I already have. Ok, that's enough exposure.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My last shopping trip of November was a win and a loss. I had a coupon and credit for Ulta so I popped in to see what was new. There wasn't anything in the "prestige" section that I wanted. In the drugstore section there was a bunch of Milani products on clearance. The Gilded Desires palette was only $9.99, regularly $19.99! Milani shadows are really great. But at that moment, my brain was thinking clearly and I put it back. Instead I got 2 Soap & Glory body washes, which I need since we have 1 bar of soap left. I got 2 body washes for $4 and change. Win!

Then I stopped into Longs (aka CVS) to pick up some chocolate toffee mac nuts for a gift basket. They were out of stock so I wandered the beauty section and they had a ton of clearance stickers up. I ended up buying (with a gift card) for 75% off a color corrector cushion from Physicians Formula, the Wet N Wild Reserve Your Cabana highlighter (which I decluttered in 2017Woman Frustrated) and an Almay Smart Shade Lip Butter. It technically didn't cost me anything but I did not need it. Loss.

Do you ever lose all control in one area when you are at max self-control in another area? That's how I felt today. Controlled in Ulta, uncontrolled in Longs.  

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I use black Fri as a time to restock. I keep a list on my phone that I add or delete things. Then I try to hold out until Nov to purchase them. But I did take the liberty to splurge on some makeup... So I should probably do the no-buy 2019... 

I have 1 tub of body butter and 2 partial tubes of body lotion remaining that I purchased between 2017-2018. I pretty much did not use body lotion during the summer. So knowing that I only bought one additional lotion.  That should get me through 2019. I've gotten much better at not stocking up on bath & body products.

I have not gotten better at not buying eyeshadow. Sad face. 

@Oshare-girl  I am the opposite.  I am doing so much better at not buying makeup, in fact, I have not bought any this November. However, I am not doing good at all on bath and body products.  In fact, I have way too much body butters, shower gels, and soaps.  But what did I do yetserday?  I ordered more bar soaps :<  

@momoftwo2007 We need to become the Wonder Twins and combine our strengths. Woman Wink

@Oshare-girl  LOL!  YES!!! 

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl- I can definitely relate to your post about thinking about shopping even if you're not buying. Sounds just like me.

I feel like I've done better about paring down my purchases recently, but I still scope out the websites on a fairly regular basis and I'm already making plans about what I can purchase when my current items run out. I have a few staples that I'm enjoying and don't think too much about, but I'm still thinking about what make-up or bath products or skin care items I want to buy next. I too, am trying to get over the "obsession" and think about it less. I have so many other things that are more important than obsessing about beauty items.

I'm ready to be a "normal" person too. I used to be a "normal" person. If I ran out of something, I bought a replacement at the grocery store or drug store and didn't think about it too much otherwise. Where did that person go?

Honored Contributor

@rnmom

@Oshare-girl

Hey!  We have our N-word for next November: Normal!

@Oshare-girl

Don't feel bad about losing it at Longs.  I shopped there when I lived in California and I remember doing some very abnormal things.  Like buying purple eyeshadow.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Well, I made a big ta-do about the It Girl palette from the Q. I got it and it was HORRIBLE! The blush was neon strawberry pink and the eyeshadows were chaulky. I went on vacation to see my son for 5 days and brought it with me and OMG I looked horrid for the whole time. 

Needless to say I sent it back and I am out of $7. I am giving up on IT Cosmetics they really just don't work for me. Plus the presentations are sheer torture. 

My skin is so dry right now I am thinking of ordering BE's Complextion Rescue tinted moisturizer. I used to use it but moved to IT CC creams which I now detest. Should I go for it?

@Squirrel Lover, if you are thinking about buying it, the complexion rescue is 19 dollars today at Ulta.