Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Manageable March

Hi Guys,

First, let me say how much I appreciate all your thoughts, good wishes, and prayers. They really help. You gals are great.

I just popped in to say that the OG is stable and not losing any ground since he’s been home, so I’m just a little hopeful. He gets around the house, can make his own food and take his own shower, although only every other day because that exhausts him. He lost about half the fluid he gained but still has about ten pounds left. Consequently, he still can’t lay flat to sleep because he feels like he’s being strangled. Naturally he tires easily and naps frequently.

I’m rather po’d with this cardiologist, though. I had to track him down to get further instructions after the hospital. Several calls back and forth to his office and all we get is an appointment eight weeks from now. I still have to get ahold of his nurse to see about refills for OG’s scripts till then. I get the feeling that this “doctor” feels that since OG didn’t jump on his surgical hamster wheel right away he’s saying, “Okay, if you’re still alive in two months, come in and see me.” Going to have to talk about finding someone else when the OG is feeling a little better.

This has been a very effective way to lose weight, although I wouldn’t recommend it! And, believe it or not, I’ve even been doing a little decluttering along the way. When I run across things that the OG would never toss, like old boxes and such, out they go. I figure he’s too sick to care or even notice, and if worse comes to worse, I’m going to have to go through all this cr@p anyway by myself.

I’ll be back when I can...

Honored Contributor

@aprilskieswrote:

@just bee, wow he eats one time a day.  Well, intermitten fasting is where you only give yourself an 8 hour window where you can eat.  I am doing the 16/8 version but there are others.  So, my plan is to stop eating at 7:30 at night and then eat again at 11:30am.  The theory is your body starts burning off the fat and you lose weight.  In the morning and up to 11:30 you can only have black coffee, teas and water.  Nothing that will break your fast. 

I have tried it before and never stuck to it. But this time I will give it a go because nothing else is working. I am just not a moderation type of person. I have even tried not bringing the stuff home but always find myself surrounded.  This morning though I had to eat something around 11.  I had such a headache so I am hoping I will get use to it.  We will see how it goes.  Unfortunately, I have just become a stress eater and I think that is half my problem. So, I am also hoping this stops me for reaching for food every time I find myself stressed out, which seems like a lot lately.

I dont know how long I will do it for. If it really takes, definitely as long as it takes to lose 25 lbs and after that if it becomes a lifestyle so be it. But, I am trying to,one, lose weight but, two, not reach for food when I am not feeling great.  It really isnt the answer and only causing me more stress. LOL.

@aprilskies

This just would not work for me.  I like to start my day with something hot and caffeinated but once I'm fully awake and functioning, I want food.  Usually peanut butter on toasted cinnamon raisin bread.  If I don't get peanut butter every day I get irritable.

Of course, I have a weird schedule.  I have my lark days (PB on toast in the morning) and owl days (working nights, so I have dinner for breakfast and peanut butter for dinner).

But definitely keep us posted. Woman Very Happy

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskieswrote:

I, too, dont need anything beauty wise and dont have my sights on one single thing this month.   I will run out of hand soap soon but I will start using some shampoo instead of buying more. Other than that, I am pretty set. 

It is interesting though. Now that I am not researching, chasing any beauty products and/or looking at youtube videos, I have so much time on my hands.  Now I need to mindful that I use up my free time productively.  I am the greatest time waster I know.

@aprilskies

No, I am the greatest time waster you know.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@KaySDwrote:

@aprilskies, Hey, it's not wasting time if you're happy while you're doing it! It's using your time to be happy! Smiley Very Happy

@KaySD

You're getting so good at justification!  Looks like I have some competition here... Woman Wink

P.S. I'm watching the bird cams again.  Top that!

Honored Contributor

@geezerettewrote:

Hi Guys,

First, let me say how much I appreciate all your thoughts, good wishes, and prayers. They really help. You gals are great.

I just popped in to say that the OG is stable and not losing any ground since he’s been home, so I’m just a little hopeful. He gets around the house, can make his own food and take his own shower, although only every other day because that exhausts him. He lost about half the fluid he gained but still has about ten pounds left. Consequently, he still can’t lay flat to sleep because he feels like he’s being strangled. Naturally he tires easily and naps frequently.

I’m rather po’d with this cardiologist, though. I had to track him down to get further instructions after the hospital. Several calls back and forth to his office and all we get is an appointment eight weeks from now. I still have to get ahold of his nurse to see about refills for OG’s scripts till then. I get the feeling that this “doctor” feels that since OG didn’t jump on his surgical hamster wheel right away he’s saying, “Okay, if you’re still alive in two months, come in and see me.” Going to have to talk about finding someone else when the OG is feeling a little better.

This has been a very effective way to lose weight, although I wouldn’t recommend it! And, believe it or not, I’ve even been doing a little decluttering along the way. When I run across things that the OG would never toss, like old boxes and such, out they go. I figure he’s too sick to care or even notice, and if worse comes to worse, I’m going to have to go through all this cr@p anyway by myself.

@geezerette

This may be the highlight of my week.  After the last three days at work, I needed some good news!

That's precisely what the healthcare industry needs: Competition.  I support you in your quest to find a cardiologist you like.  One with a heart.

It was like when my mother was in the hospital and I got a call from a doctor I hadn't even met.  He told me my mother's colon was dead and that she would be made as comfortable as possible.  Then he told me to start making "arrangements."  A couple days later she proved him wrong and was discharged with a very alive colon.  Only heard from him that one time.

I figured they discharged her because they needed the bed.  (I can say that -- I work in the industry.)

You know your geezer better than anyone so just feel out the situation.  You'll know his ups and downs.

You must create a therapeutic environment.  That's why I'll be sending you Better-half.  He can declutter while you spend quality time with the mister and "Carla."

Look at the bright side: BH only eats once a day.

Respected Contributor

@KaySDwrote:

@aprilskies Please keep us all posted about your fasting experience, if you can. Your approach is not one I've come across before.

@KaySD, I will let you know how it goes. It will be a challenge.  I am giving myself time to adjust.  Just for the record though, this isnt something I made up. It is a "thing" on the internet that others have discovered.  I have tried it before and couldnt stick to it.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Respected Contributor

@geezerettewrote:

Hi Guys,

@geezerette, I was thinking about you and glad to see your post. That is a little bit encouraging.  I am glad to see OG is up and about even for a little bit. I hope he continues to get stronger. I cant imagine that doesnt take a lot out of him. Hopefully he doesnt push himself too hard too soon.  Doctors are something, arent they?  I am surprised he is seeing him 8 weeks out.  I dont know what is normal in these circumstances but that seems like a long time.

No, that is not a good way to lose weight.  Just a byproduct along the way.  At least a little decluttering is keeping your mind busy.

Hang in there.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just beewrote:

@aprilskieswrote:

@just bee, wow he eats one time a day.  Well, intermitten fasting is where you only give yourself an 8 hour window where you can eat.  I am doing the 16/8 version but there are others.  So, my plan is to stop eating at 7:30 at night and then eat again at 11:30am.  The theory is your body starts burning off the fat and you lose weight.  In the morning and up to 11:30 you can only have black coffee, teas and water.  Nothing that will break your fast. 

I have tried it before and never stuck to it. But this time I will give it a go because nothing else is working. I am just not a moderation type of person. I have even tried not bringing the stuff home but always find myself surrounded.  This morning though I had to eat something around 11.  I had such a headache so I am hoping I will get use to it.  We will see how it goes.  Unfortunately, I have just become a stress eater and I think that is half my problem. So, I am also hoping this stops me for reaching for food every time I find myself stressed out, which seems like a lot lately.

I dont know how long I will do it for. If it really takes, definitely as long as it takes to lose 25 lbs and after that if it becomes a lifestyle so be it. But, I am trying to,one, lose weight but, two, not reach for food when I am not feeling great.  It really isnt the answer and only causing me more stress. LOL.

@aprilskies

This just would not work for me.  I like to start my day with something hot and caffeinated but once I'm fully awake and functioning, I want food.  Usually peanut butter on toasted cinnamon raisin bread.  If I don't get peanut butter every day I get irritable.

Of course, I have a weird schedule.  I have my lark days (PB on toast in the morning) and owl days (working nights, so I have dinner for breakfast and peanut butter for dinner).

But definitely keep us posted. Woman Very Happy

@just bee, I totally agree.  I need something hot in the morning.  You can drink coffee, tea, water or anything that doesnt disrupt the fast.  However, you have to drink things black, no cream.  I am not a black coffee drinker, but it is really not bad and I kinda like it.  I couldnt do it if I had to give up my morning coffee.  My breakfast is another thing that will be hard to give up.  I like breakfast and look forward to it.  But, I am hoping I can do this during the week and relax it a bit on the weekends.

We'll see. I am going to try it for a month and see how it goes. 

And, pat pat pat to me.  I gave away all of my hard and soft candy. That was a tough one but it needed to go.  I am not counting chocolate in that category however. Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@just bee Can't top it. My cats, though...ever see a cat stare at a bare wall, unmoving, for a loooooooong time? That's what one of mine did today. I guess going into an actual trance tops birdwatching.

Meanwhile, I just learned my kid's father, that would be my ex, has terminal cancer. We don't see each other or talk very often because he's been living elsewhere, but I will still miss him, and of course I know ho much he means to my kid. So it's a bummer, better in a second paragraph where nobody has to read it. 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette-I'm glad to hear that the OG is doing at least a little bit better. Hopefully he will continue to improve. 

@KaySD-I'm sorry to hear about your kid's father having cancer. That's always such a hard diagnosis. I will be keeping you in my thoughts too.