Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Manageable March

For G

@geezerette

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007wrote:

Hi, everyone,

I gave up shopping for beauty products during Lent. And so far so good, I have not bought anything.  And I have found through this expenrience, that it is managable if there is a deadline in sight. And I didn't need anything. I had plenty in my stash.  I will see after Lent is over, if I still have too much product. I might do another NO BUY for another month. One month at the time.

@momoftwo2007

One month at a time, one tube at a time, one jar at a time, one bottle at a time...

One bottle at a time was the only way I could even make a dent in that shower gel collection.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskieswrote:

For March, I am going to focus on creating activities I can focus on.  Things that keep me moving and even reading.  I would like to get back to reading more. ...or at all. 

I am going to make March a low spend month on nonessentials.  The only thing I will not hold back on are 👠.  This should be interesting. 

@aprilskies

I should have called last month Frugal February.  I didn't want to part with a dime.

Here it is March and I still don't need anything.  The car will need some attention and so will the yard since spring is upon us.  The house is an ongoing project.

But I really don't "need" much right now.  Maybe a haircut.  The pixie is already covering the tops of my ears.  And it's time to start thinking about new spectacles.  What do frames look like these days?

Guess I better start checking them out...

@aprilskies

Time to make another no-spend pact?

Honored Contributor

@rnmomwrote:

I am good with Manageable March. I'm picking up extra days at work for the next 4 weeks because some girls are off so I'll be lucky to just maintain this month. I'm behind on a lot of appointments, eye doctor, haircut, medical, etc and I had hoped to get some of that running done this month but I don't know if it's going to happen now or not, I won't have many days off. It might have to wait until April now. 

@rnmom

Same here.  That's why I'd like to address some of that "maintenance" this month -- before April taxes.  April is the left hook; May -- with property taxes -- is the right.

Respected Contributor

@just beewrote:

@momoftwo2007wrote:

Hi, everyone,

I gave up shopping for beauty products during Lent. And so far so good, I have not bought anything.  And I have found through this expenrience, that it is managable if there is a deadline in sight. And I didn't need anything. I had plenty in my stash.  I will see after Lent is over, if I still have too much product. I might do another NO BUY for another month. One month at the time.

@momoftwo2007

One month at a time, one tube at a time, one jar at a time, one bottle at a time...

One bottle at a time was the only way I could even make a dent in that shower gel collection.

@just bee Yes, definitely! One month at a time. One bottle at a time!

Honored Contributor

A quick note to let you all know how grateful I am to read your kind words of support.  The Old Geezer came home yesterday.  He seems to be stable, although at times a bit disoriented, which is a bit concerning.  I was most anxious to see if he would be able to transition to oral meds okay; guess it’s a bit early to tell about that.  Since it’s about one a.m. and all is quiet, I guess he’ll at least make it through the night.  He had a bit more bravado about recovery and how quickly he would be back up-and-at-‘em while he was in the hospital.  Just getting home wore the poor guy out and he napped for three hours in his chair yesterday afternoon.  That in itself was a good thing, since his main complaint before this episode was that he couldn’t sleep due to lack of breath.  (Although I do admit to checking to see if he was still breathing every five minutes while he was asleep.)

I was hoping to calm down after he got home, but not so tonight.  My own heart is skipping way too much right now to sleep, which of course, agitates me even more because I know I need the rest myself.  I hope things will settle down in the next few days.  I always overreact to things and normally it’s The Old Geezer that brings me back to earth.  Of course I’m not going to burden him right now with my trivialities, so I’m venting them with you!

Again, thank you all for thinking of me.  It means a lot.❤️

Honored Contributor

@geezerette

Put everything on the back burner for now and just rest.  Do whatever it takes to create tranquility.  Music, old movies, or just plain ol’ quiet.

It’s good to hear he’s home.

As for you, we’re here, so vent away!

Honored Contributor

Better-half has been making regular trips to Goodwill, but I'd decided that if I have to give up my stuff I'm going to give it to an organization that I choose.

It has come down to two thrift stores: Animal Humane New Mexico and Watermelon Mountain Ranch (local no-kill shelter).  Yesterday we went to our local mall to check out WMR's store next to Dillard's.  It wasn't there.

Since I'm always on the lookout for dogs, I saw a woman in the middle of the crowded mall holding a dog and wearing a WMR T-shirt.  As it turns out, the store has temporarily closed and will reopen in another location in the mall in two months.

I could feel Better-half getting tense and knew what he was thinking.

1. She's going to hold on to this c__p for another two months?

2. How the ____ do we get the c__p into the store anyway?

Logistics.  A thrift store in the middle of a large shopping mall is not conducive to a quick drop-off.

I figure I'll have more to donate in the future, so WMR will benefit from the next purge.  For now, Animal Humane, which is on the other side of town, will get the items.

Better-half will stick with Goodwill because it's a quick drive and drop.  He's all about convenience.  Usually his. Woman Wink

And now I have to go back to watching West Side Story.  The rumble’s about to begin…

Respected Contributor

@geezerette, so glad to hear the OG is home.  At least he can rest a little better than in the hospital.  Talk about irony, that is the least restful place ever. Although, now it is on you to watch over him. Stressful.  But, please find a way to take care of yourself. I know that is easier said than done but so important. Go into another room for 10 mins with relaxing music, a funny tv show, let your pets distract you with their love, quirkiness.   Be well.  I hope OG keeps getting stronger.  Don’t let him give up the bravado now that he is home. That’s the very thing that may see him through. 

Vent here as much as you need to.  

Trusted Contributor

geezerette - Please vent here anytime.  If venting helps you feel better and relaxes you, we are her.  Glad to here OG is home, it may take a day or two for you both to relax.  Please take care of yourself.

just bee -  I don't give anything to Goodwill - That man is a millionaire on everyone's free stuff.  There are too many good organizations that can benefit from your donations.  Okay, off my soap box.  Good job on the decluttering.

One last thing - Must. Quit. Ordering. Girl. Scout. Cookies.

Have a good afternoon everyone.