Honored Contributor

ComPact 2018 – Manageable March

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.”  "Only the store, online no more!" “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Manageable March

Hi, everyone,

I gave up shopping for beauty products during Lent. And so far so good, I have not bought anything.  And I have found through this expenrience, that it is managable if there is a deadline in sight. And I didn't need anything. I had plenty in my stash.  I will see after Lent is over, if I still have too much product. I might do another NO BUY for another month. One month at the time.

Honored Contributor

Thank you guys for your thoughts and prayers. Trite as they may seem, when you’re on the receiving end, they’re mighty welcome. Best of all I think they might have worked...

The Old Geezer was sitting up and looking better when I walked into his room this morning. He was a little stronger and the diuretic has worked a bit. The doctor said his lungs sound slightly clearer and he even slept a bit last night, albeit sitting straight up in bed. The doctors are still pessimistic, but just the fact that he’s still around today is a relief to me. Late last night the phone rang and my heart was in my throat as I answered. I literally could have reached through the phone and strangled the girl from the credit card company recording.

Everything is looking better today. I contacted friends last night and they had a contractor out first thing this morning fixing my drive. The rain finally stopped—at least until Sunday—and the sun is actually peeking through the clouds. Compared to yesterday, today is like heaven.

Another trite thought is when something like this arises in your life, all the things we worry about—material and otherwise—suddenly go completely out of your mind. The compassion and assistance from other live human beings becomes your life, and lifeline. In that vein, I would like to say I sure do appreciate you guys, even if I only know you through cyberspace.

Trusted Contributor

Geezerette - I am sorry to hear about Mr. G's problems.  I am very happy to hear he was looking better.  I wish you both the best a speedy recovery to Mr. G.

I am glad to hear you are getting your driveway fixed, you really don't need that kind of problem right now.

Valued Contributor

@geezerette I haven't been here for a couple of days and I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear about The Old Geezer.  I am glad to hear that there is some improvement.  I will shoot a prayer for both of you tonight.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette, glad to see the OG is doing a little better.  I hope he continues. 

I think we are now getting your rain. It had been raining since yesterday. 

Respected Contributor

For March, I am going to focus on creating activities I can focus on.  Things that keep me moving and even reading.  I would like to get back to reading more. ...or at all. 

I am going to make March a low spend month on nonessentials.  The only thing I will not hold back on are 👠.  This should be interesting. 

Respected Contributor

I am good with Manageable March. I'm picking up extra days at work for the next 4 weeks because some girls are off so I'll be lucky to just maintain this month. I'm behind on a lot of appointments, eye doctor, haircut, medical, etc and I had hoped to get some of that running done this month but I don't know if it's going to happen now or not, I won't have many days off. It might have to wait until April now. At least I hopefully won't do a lot of shopping, but I probably won't do much decluttering either. If the weather improves maybe I can get outside a bit on the weekends which would be nice though.

@geezerette-I'm so sorry to hear about the OG's health issues. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. My prayers will be with you. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette

Well, as I said earlier, "thoughts and prayers" has been getting a bad rap lately and now I’ll go even further: Trite is taking a lot of flak, too.  Sometimes trite is just right.

Life is complicated and in our quest to make it easier we’ve just made it more complicated.  Often a kind word or a sign can make things seem less difficult.  The rain stopped, the sun came out.  Sometimes that’s all the reassurance we need.  It’s simple, it’s trite, but it’s a sign that there’s something bigger, something more important than all the petty concerns that occupy our time.

I hope the sun keeps shining for you, G, and that your better-half comes home to you soon.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

HEP

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation.

This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!