Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 32,807
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May


@just bee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:


@just bee  So easy to make your own dressing. Put oil, vinegar, good mustard, s&p in a small jar & shake!


@Shanus

 

Better-half has been making a killer pesto dressing.  Mostly olive oil, white wine vinegar, pesto and lemon juice.  Snacky!


@just bee  Many variations...can do a raspberry vinegrette, too.... Perfect if you have a mini food processor.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,045
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

@Oshare-girl

 

First floods, now earthquakes and a volcano erupting.  Why is Hawaii on the hit list?

 

Fun fact: We have volcanoes in Albuquerque but they're well-behaved.

 

ABQ volcanoes

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,045
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

@geezerette

 

Didn't you say you had a refrigerator that required filters?  We've been in this house since '95 and we are in MAINTAIN mode.  Replacing things as they break.  Our fridge is a Whirlpool side-by-side in white.  Pretty basic but still going after all these years.

 

BH is looking for a replacement.  Hard to find a white side-by-side that doesn't have water in the door.  Water and ice at the touch of a button was once a dream of mine but now it's just something that will create more headaches.

 

BH thinks we'll be able to eliminate the Brita pitcher.  How?  I use that pitcher to fill my tea kettle and the dog's water bowl.

 

You mentioned the cost of filters.  Another headache.  I'm thinking of starting a thread on the home forum just to get a feeling for what fridges are working for people.

 

I really don't want water in the door.  We have a sink.  But BH is thinking about what's best in case we sell the house.

 

In short, May will be all about MAINTAINING my composure.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,988
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

@Oshare-girl

 

I just saw the news about your volcano—now I’m worried about you!  

 

I hope it hasn’t affected you.  I imagine, though, it’s much like wildfires, in that even if you’re not directly affected you still have smoke (and, in your case, ash) to deal with.  Take care. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,993
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

Well, I definitely added to the stash this past week. I placed orders with Vitacost and Ulta. I wanted hairspray from Ulta so I ordered myself some treats for mother's day including a couple of new fragrance mists from Pacifica, 2 Tree Hut body butters, hand sanitizer and some Lottie London makeup. And I got 9 free samples to try. I actually wanted to try some of the free samples too because they are cleaner, cruelty free products so I'm looking forward to trying them out. I had a $40 gift card, so I justified the purchase of course. Plus at buy one get one 50% off it's so hard to resist. 

 

At Vitacost I wanted to replace a couple of household items so I added a few beauty items in too, including an Andalou Naturals tinted SPF 30 that I've been wanting to try, an Alba pineapple scrub, and a Nature's Gate self tanner. 

 

So, as the stash grew a bit this past week, it might be time to purge a couple of my older makeup items that I'm not loving, and I definitely need to keep working on using things up.

 

But I'm honestly kind of getting tired of worrying about how much is coming in vs. how much is going out. I've been keeping track for the last several years and I'm wondering why I'm wasting so much time obsessing about it. I need to just let some of it go and use the products that I like and ditch the things that I don't. I'm starting to think that life is just too short to be caught up in something so ridiculous. It kind of goes back to why justbee started this thread to begin with. Why are we amassing so much and not using and enjoying what we have? When something new comes in like this I immediately start feeling guilty and begin to think of what I can use up and get rid of to replace it, instead of just using and enjoying the items that I have. I need to let some of it go I think. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,045
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May


@rnmom wrote:

But I'm honestly kind of getting tired of worrying about how much is coming in vs. how much is going out. I've been keeping track for the last several years and I'm wondering why I'm wasting so much time obsessing about it. I need to just let some of it go and use the products that I like and ditch the things that I don't. I'm starting to think that life is just too short to be caught up in something so ridiculous. It kind of goes back to why justbee started this thread to begin with. Why are we amassing so much and not using and enjoying what we have? When something new comes in like this I immediately start feeling guilty and begin to think of what I can use up and get rid of to replace it, instead of just using and enjoying the items that I have. I need to let some of it go I think. 


@rnmom

 

It's exhausting, isn't it?  That's why I'm so hesitant to bring anything new into the house.  The mental gymnastics just isn't worth it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,657
Registered: ‎04-27-2010

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

rnmom - I did a a clean out of makeup, shampoo, lotions, hair stuff, etc a few years back.  I did try to use up stuff that I was not wild about.  One day I decided life was too short to use stuff I did not like so I threw out a bunch of it.  I know, it was money wasted but, I felt so good about having a clean slate on that part.  I started using products I liked and I felt good about it.  I have caught myself recently buying more make up and hair products, so I am putting the brakes on that.  

 

That all being said I now have to clean out clothes and purses.  I used to clean them out and give them to a resale shop that took some of the profits and donated them to animal rescue organizations around here, but they recently closed.  So now I have to find a new place to donate them.  

 

I think (speaking for me only) I make my life too complicated with too much stuff and then trying to figure out what to do with the stuff.  I am trying this year to get it cleaned out and not doing this again.

 

Sorry about the rambling ladies.  Hope everyone has a great morning.

 

 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,753
Registered: ‎08-16-2016

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

@rnmom, I agree--getting rid of the worry IS more the point than getting rid of the stuff!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,988
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May


@rnmom wrote:

Well, I definitely added to the stash this past week. I placed orders with Vitacost and Ulta. I wanted hairspray from Ulta so I ordered myself some treats for mother's day including a couple of new fragrance mists from Pacifica, 2 Tree Hut body butters, hand sanitizer and some Lottie London makeup. And I got 9 free samples to try. I actually wanted to try some of the free samples too because they are cleaner, cruelty free products so I'm looking forward to trying them out. I had a $40 gift card, so I justified the purchase of course. Plus at buy one get one 50% off it's so hard to resist. 

 

At Vitacost I wanted to replace a couple of household items so I added a few beauty items in too, including an Andalou Naturals tinted SPF 30 that I've been wanting to try, an Alba pineapple scrub, and a Nature's Gate self tanner. 

 

So, as the stash grew a bit this past week, it might be time to purge a couple of my older makeup items that I'm not loving, and I definitely need to keep working on using things up.

 

But I'm honestly kind of getting tired of worrying about how much is coming in vs. how much is going out. I've been keeping track for the last several years and I'm wondering why I'm wasting so much time obsessing about it. I need to just let some of it go and use the products that I like and ditch the things that I don't. I'm starting to think that life is just too short to be caught up in something so ridiculous. It kind of goes back to why justbee started this thread to begin with. Why are we amassing so much and not using and enjoying what we have? When something new comes in like this I immediately start feeling guilty and begin to think of what I can use up and get rid of to replace it, instead of just using and enjoying the items that I have. I need to let some of it go I think. 


 

AMEN!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,988
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May


@just bee wrote:

@geezerette

 

Didn't you say you had a refrigerator that required filters?  We've been in this house since '95 and we are in MAINTAIN mode.  Replacing things as they break.  Our fridge is a Whirlpool side-by-side in white.  Pretty basic but still going after all these years.

 

BH is looking for a replacement.  Hard to find a white side-by-side that doesn't have water in the door.  Water and ice at the touch of a button was once a dream of mine but now it's just something that will create more headaches.

 

BH thinks we'll be able to eliminate the Brita pitcher.  How?  I use that pitcher to fill my tea kettle and the dog's water bowl.

 

You mentioned the cost of filters.  Another headache.  I'm thinking of starting a thread on the home forum just to get a feeling for what fridges are working for people.

 

I really don't want water in the door.  We have a sink.  But BH is thinking about what's best in case we sell the house.

 

In short, May will be all about MAINTAINING my composure.


@just bee

 

Yes, we have water in the freezer door and it requires a filter.  And it’s a pain to change.  It’s on the back wall of the frig so it’s awkward to get to.  I haven’t had to change ours yet so I don’t know if I’ll even be able to do it myself.  And the area where the water comes out get moldy and it’s very hard to clean all those little nooks and crannies.  So how much healthier is it than drinking tap water?  I was actually considering getting one of your Brita filters, but I have a stockpile of a half dozen frig filters that I might as well use.  

 

I don’t know about how it works where you are, but most places that we’ve lived and have sold houses, all the appliances stay with the house except the refrigerator.  Unless, of course, you just don’t want to bother taking it, or if the buyer requests it.  We had one buyer request our refrigerator because it was a unique size that fit just right in the kitchen.  So it may not make much difference what kind you have if you decide to sell.

 

I don’t know where you could even find a side-by-side without water in the door.  The only ones I’ve seen with no water are with the small freezer on top, and even those are extremely rare.  Of course, I don’t live in a place that has any competition so maybe your choices are better.