Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

@DelaRose wrote:

It is freeing when you get things out of the house.  This past weekend our community sponsored a free recycle day.  I actually got Hubby to help me get some things out of the house.  I took 3 analog TVs (one was 130 lbs), 2 printers, 1 desktop computer, 1 laptop.  I also took an Xbox that had the red ring from years ago that was no good and as I was carrying it out of the house Hubby was still claiming he could fix it.  Oh, did I give you the impression that it was easy??  Ha Ha.  It wasn't fun and games.  Hubby complained the whole time something about wasted $$, blah blah.......  I have reconized that I am a hoarder, but Hubby is 10x worse.  At least he did help me load up the truck, but refused to go with me to actually get rid of the stuff.  The problem with this scenrio is that you open up space in your home, but when everyone in the home is not on board it actually just leaves you with more room to store more stuff.  I will be watching this and not let more things get accumluated in the now emptied spaces.  It's baby steps.Heart     

@DelaRose, Lol.   And yes, I cant tell you how many times I have done this. You definitely have to been mindful.  I have been more mindful in the last year or so than I have ever been, but that doesnt mean new things didnt make their way home to me.

It is a difficult process for sure.     

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee, interesting that he doesnt want to donate that instead of it ending up in the landfill.  Is it just too heavy to deal with.

I almost got rid of the top half of mine but decided to keep it for now.  I was in the phase of not wanting so much heavy looking furniture around. I really am in a weird phase with stuff right now.  I think that is why I slowed my roll.  I dont want to toss the baby with the bath water.  I think I will start the more difficult decisions if I am ever able to move.

@aprilskies

We can't even remember how we got it in here in the first place.  It was in the living room originally and then we moved it to the bedroom.

How?

It's all a blur.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@Oshare-girl

Yup.  I think it's because jojoba isn't really an oil.  I had a bottle for years.  The price, though, has skyrocketed since I bought that old bottle.

Acure has their oils at 50% off right now so I picked up argan with coconut, marula and rosehip.  That one requires refrigeration.

Ever check out the Garden of Wisdom website?  Lots of information about different oils, what they're good for and how long they last.

@just bee Rosehip oil goes bad fast!  I didn't make it through half the bottle before it was rancid.  But it is so nice on the skin.  Yup, chill that one for sure. I wish oils were packaged in pump bottles instead of dropper bottles. I want to keep as much air as possible out of those oils.

And that's right.  Jojoba is a wax. And the price has become ridiculous! My first bottle lasted so long that when I went to repurchase it, I was shocked at the price.

I just finished a mini of the Drunk Elephant marula oil. I don't see the hype... It's a thicker oil than what I prefer on my face so I ended up using it on my body.  Kinda pricey to do that but I didn't want it to go bad.  One thing going for Drunk Elephant is their packaging.  It is so clever.  Gets me every time.  

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl

Ugh!  Sorry -- just remembered what shipping might be. Woman Tongue

@just bee Shipping! Gr! It's ok, I have a case of green tea from Costco that will last me, well you know how long. Sometimes I brew a batch and add it to my toner. Gotta find ways to use it up.  Like everything else.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I will say, I do wish I had someone like your BH around. 

@aprilskies

He's all yours.  Where shall I send him?

Lol. 

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

apple

But at least I have a new apple to look forward to.

Or not.

I can't say I'm smitten.  This is an apple with "a tropical twist."  I like that it's a little tart, but it's like biting into a raw potato.  Normally I'd like that, but the skin on this thing is like elephant hide.

It won't be a favorite.

It's a pretty apple.  The flavor isn't bad but the texture is wrong.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@Oshare-girl

Yup.  I think it's because jojoba isn't really an oil.  I had a bottle for years.  The price, though, has skyrocketed since I bought that old bottle.

Acure has their oils at 50% off right now so I picked up argan with coconut, marula and rosehip.  That one requires refrigeration.

Ever check out the Garden of Wisdom website?  Lots of information about different oils, what they're good for and how long they last.

@just bee Rosehip oil goes bad fast!  I didn't make it through half the bottle before it was rancid.  But it is so nice on the skin.  Yup, chill that one for sure. I wish oils were packaged in pump bottles instead of dropper bottles. I want to keep as much air as possible out of those oils.

And that's right.  Jojoba is a wax. And the price has become ridiculous! My first bottle lasted so long that when I went to repurchase it, I was shocked at the price.

I just finished a mini of the Drunk Elephant marula oil. I don't see the hype... It's a thicker oil than what I prefer on my face so I ended up using it on my body.  Kinda pricey to do that but I didn't want it to go bad.  One thing going for Drunk Elephant is their packaging.  It is so clever.  Gets me every time.  

@Oshare-girl

I was just looking at the Drunk Elephant website.  Before that I was watching coverage of the volcano.  I don't know which was more horrifying: Lava destroying everything in its path or the price of an ounce of marula oil.

Are you kidding me?  They want $72 for an ounce of oil?  I thought $7.99 (50% off) for Acure's marula was steep.

More proof that I am ancient.  We were talking about college tuition last night at work and when I said I paid $69 a quarter for a university education my coworkers looked confused.

I probably had the same look when my mother told me her father struggled to pay his mortgage during the Depression.  A crushing $17 a month.

I can't even get a pizza for $17. Woman Tongue

Trusted Contributor

@just bee, mourning doves and ladders is a new one for me to add to my collection!

Well, all my plans just went south with the sudden death of my water heater. Water and dirt everywhere, and right at the start of a holiday weekend, of course. When did those darn things get so expensive, I wanna know? 

I had had a sudden inspiration to check into a hotel and take a nice ht shower, until I checked the price--299 a night at a Motel 6? Are they kidding me right now? 

So I'm tired, dirty, and let's see, oh yeah, grateful for the opportunity to practice equanimity. 

Have a great holiday weekend, everyone! 

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl, glad to hear you are okay and not affected. I cant believe what is going on in Hawaii. That is just crazy.  I cant imagine having hot lava come down the street. I feel for those folks.

@just bee - how is your decluttering going?

@geezerette - I hope you are doing well.  How is the monster dog?  Still watching over you?

To all the new posters - welcome. I hope you continue to post. I love to read everyone's stories. It always helps.

@aprilskies Isn't it wild?  It looks like it's from a movie.  I haven't been to the Big Island for a while, but all the elementary and middle school kids go on trips for their Hawaiiana classes.  My kids are older now but I wonder what happened to this year's trips? Did the kids get to go? They usually stay at Kilauea Military Reserve dormitories which is right by the volcano. In Honolulu we are getting some of the vog when the southern winds are blowing. Other than that, we are like the rest of the world, watching in awe.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl

I was just looking at the Drunk Elephant website.  Before that I was watching coverage of the volcano.  I don't know which was more horrifying: Lava destroying everything in its path or the price of an ounce of marula oil.

Are you kidding me?  They want $72 for an ounce of oil?  I thought $7.99 (50% off) for Acure's marula was steep.

More proof that I am ancient.  We were talking about college tuition last night at work and when I said I paid $69 a quarter for a university education my coworkers looked confused.

I probably had the same look when my mother told me her father struggled to pay his mortgage during the Depression.  A crushing $17 a month.

I can't even get a pizza for $17. Woman Tongue

@just bee Oh yes, the cost of the DE marula oil is ridiculous! I got mine in a kit so it wasn't too painfully pricey. I can't recommend the product, especially for THAT price.  I'm still enjoying squalane oil, the Timeless one that is nice and affordable. And my current favorite is Jordan Samuel's Etoile with Retinol oil for night use.

My DD just finished her freshman year of high school.  College is looming in the near future.  We have been saving but in reality, we probably only have enough for 2 years IF she gets a good amount of scholarships and grants. It's a shame that education has to cost a lifetime of savings. And forget getting a PhD for a field like social work.  Why would anyone do that?? You are never going to make enough from your career to justify the cost of that PhD. How do these people do it? They have such big hearts to care for others and hopefully huge wallets to take care of themselves.