Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

@just bee wrote:

Relieved that the swarm has relocated because I could just see myself telling the bug guy that he can't spray the front yard because I have a swarm of bees in the roses and he can't spray the patio because I have a bird on the ladder.

🤣

Trusted Contributor

I just threw out eight VHS tapes I recorded with all the episodes of Christopher Lowell's Interior Motives. The boxes went into the recycling bin. In the 10 or so years since it was on, I've never rewatched any of them, or tried to execute any of the decorating ideas.

I'm going to try to post more often. For those not familiar with me, I came here almost five years ago and committed to two no-buys. They were are home fragrance products (candles, wax melts, diffusers, etc.) and bath and body products (shower gels, lotions, perfume, etc.). Although I also bought too much of other stuff, those were my most serious problem areas. The fact that I'm still not buying those items and am using what's on hand should give you some idea of how bad it was. My turnaround happened after both of my parents ended up in long-term care, and my sisters and I had to empty out their home.

Besides the two no-buy commitments, I also stopped all other unnecessary buying. I consider myself reformed, and hope I can help inspire others.

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina

We would absolutely love to hear more from you! Heart

And don't get me started on tapes.  I have boxes and boxes... and no VCR.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I just tossed some tapes a short while ago.  (I too still have them but no workable VCR anymore.)  I have more to toss but just haven’t gotten around to it yet.  I did pretty well sorting and tossing things for a while, but lately I’ve gotten into a funk and just don’t feel like it.  I’ve got most things cleaned up and put out of sight and that’s just fine for me right now.  I think once I can get the boxes of tools and all the equipment gone, I can finish cleaning up and arranging the garage, and then I’ll feel like tackling more inside.

I did manage to get a kid to mow my yard so I won’t have to spend two days in the hot sun doing it myself every time it needs it. It caused a stir with a friend, who doesn’t happen to like the kid or his mother, but I don’t care.  I don’t want to adopt the kid, I just want him to cut my yard decently, get paid, and leave.  I don’t care what his personal life is like.  Besides, he’s one of the few people around here that are still willing to actually do physical labor, so I can’t be too choosy.

@Caffeina  Glad to see your post and hear your progress, whenever you choose to come.  I think most of us often read and post in spurts; I know I do.  Real life has a nasty way of interfering with the forums.🙁😄

Respected Contributor

We still have a handfull of VHS tapes here too. We donated all but our absolute favorites. We do still have a working VCR here, that's why I kept them, even though we haven't watched them in years. If I ever replaced those favorites with DVD's I'd get rid of them, but until then, they're staying. 

Honored Contributor

Another exciting apple experience...

KIKU

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Well, I was maintaining very well in May—no buys except for essentials.  Until today.  WEN gallons are in, and my all-time, absolute favorite Vanilla Mint was available after all.  (Last year we were told it was no longer going to be available at QVC.)  So I had to get the auto-delivery.  I consider it an essential.😉

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Well, I was maintaining very well in May—no buys except for essentials.  Until today.  WEN gallons are in, and my all-time, absolute favorite Vanilla Mint was available after all.  (Last year we were told it was no longer going to be available at QVC.)  So I had to get the auto-delivery.  I consider it an essential.😉

@geezerette

My theory is that anything vanilla is essential.

Shampoo is also essential.  I bought more Acure shampoo and conditioner and I now have four varieties to rotate.  You're right -- rotating seems to work.  I'm beginning to like their hair products.   

Bought three oils (50% off -- old packaging) to squirrel away for next year.  Or whenever I use up what I've got. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette

Shampoo is also essential.  I bought more Acure shampoo and conditioner and I now have four varieties to rotate.  You're right -- rotating seems to work.  I'm beginning to like their hair products.   

Bought three oils (50% off -- old packaging) to squirrel away for next year.  Or whenever I use up what I've got. Woman Happy

@just bee

Think you’ll live that long?😄

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette

@just bee

Think you’ll live that long?😄

@geezerette

Ar, ar, ar, ar, ar! Woman LOL

I have three oils open right now and I'd get through them a whole lot faster if I wasn't so lazy about using them.