Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Just June

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl wrote:

And just like that, it's Just June. Almost halfway through the year...

So first, I have a new favorite YouTube channel.  Check out Hannah Louise Poston.  She's doing a no-buy YEAR! I heard about her from the Facebook Use it up group. I haven't watched all her videos yet but I am binging them currently.  She's smart, funny and has some great insights. I've been watching project panners on YT, but many of them are just using things up so they can buy more.  HLP is out to change her habits and she totally would be a great member of our Compactors. So many things she has said has resonated with me.  BTW, it's not just a makeup no-buy. She's not buying skincare, clothes and housewares also. I have to keep this short so I can go back and watch more of her videos.

I was also horrified by the sight of my chest in the morning.  It's all wrinkled! I sleep curled on my side so all the chest skin is bunched up.  After that I started taking all my skincare that I use on my face, down my neck and to my chest.  I would like everything to match. Even the retin A is going on the neck and chest. Oh and hands too.  SPF especially on all those areas. I hope my chest will catch up with my face skin soon.

@Oshare-girl, I will check her out. I have broken my habit with the youtube beauty community. I still watch a few but it is less and less every time.  I like that she is doing everything and not just beauty. I have started bringing too much in again and I want to pull it back before it gets out of hand. 

Well, omgoodness, I just had to LOL!!!!! about the chest wrinkles. Yes, I just realized the same thing yesterday. I was wearing a tank top and when I looked in the mirror, there they were. I was dumbfounded.  Where did they come from????  They werent there the day before. Woman LOL  I have been trying to remember to bring things down to my chest area lately but I never went that low.  It is time to be more mindful. I am not liking that one bit. Not one bit, I tell you.

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

So first, I have a new favorite YouTube channel.  Check out Hannah Louise Poston.  She's doing a no-buy YEAR! I heard about her from the Facebook Use it up group. I haven't watched all her videos yet but I am binging them currently.  She's smart, funny and has some great insights. I've been watching project panners on YT, but many of them are just using things up so they can buy more.  HLP is out to change her habits and she totally would be a great member of our Compactors. So many things she has said has resonated with me.  BTW, it's not just a makeup no-buy. She's not buying skincare, clothes and housewares also. I have to keep this short so I can go back and watch more of her videos.

In May I used up $142 worth of products and about $43 of that was unnecessary stuff that I wouldn't repurchase. It's time for a new seasonal makeup capsule for me so I switched out my blush, eyeshadow palette and lip products.  I also replaced my mascara. I'm really happy with using these mini sized mascaras. They last 3 months for me, which is perfect for the capsule. I didn't finish the lipstick from the last capsule. I finished a mini sized one which took a whole month. But the full sized one was a Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche, which is so pigmented, I only needed one swipe per application. I wiped it down with an alcohol swab and put it back in the fridge with the rest of the lippie stash. I was really disappointed that I didn't hit pan on my blush. It was the Tarte Sephora birthday gift and is really tiny.  I was sure I would hit pan in 3 months but no.

Putting back my lipstick, I looked at the rest of the stash and sigh, I have 2 more years worth of lippies in there.  I thought I would be down to just one year... But I bought back ups of 2 lippies last year and we all know what that means. It's my HG lippie (that got reformulated so I snatched them up when I saw them) but still, that's 6 months of lipstick in those 2 products. So I will tell myself again, DO NOT BUY BACK UPS.

I was also horrified by the sight of my chest in the morning.  It's all wrinkled! I sleep curled on my side so all the chest skin is bunched up.  After that I started taking all my skincare that I use on my face, down my neck and to my chest.  I would like everything to match. Even the retin A is going on the neck and chest. Oh and hands too.  SPF especially on all those areas. I hope my chest will catch up with my face skin soon.

Ok, back to watching YT. Oh, the volcano just won't stop. I keep getting these updates from the local news station that people in the surrounding neighborhoods need to evacuate.  i don't understand why they are still in their homes. This isn't just a flood that can be cleaned up later. This is fire that will surround and trap them in their homes. You can't just drive over fresh lava. Tires will melt. I don't understand...Move out while you can and let the house go.

@Oshare-girl  I just added Hannah Louise Poston on my list of YouTuber's to watch.   Thanks for the recommendation.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@DelaRose

@geezerette

That's probably why I'm still using pure grace.  I poured out a bunch of fragrances a few weeks ago because they just smelled too strong.  I may have to go through the rest of my fragrances and prune those, too.

I always had a problem with people who had a problem with scent, but now I'm noticing that the smell of the food people eat at work turns my stomach.

It's gotta be age.

And that’s weird because I thought you were supposed to start to lose your sense of smell as you age.  

I’ve been sensitive to smells for years.  A lot of mine has to do with my immune system.  Not-so-good diet for too long combined with the large amounts of various pollutants around nowadays.  I’m actually not as bad now as I was about twenty years ago.

And I find that fragrances I’m used to and use consistently I tolerate better than new ones.  

@geezerette

Yeah, that's what they say.  You lose your sense of smell and taste.  But I don't think you lose it -- it just changes.  My mother and I had similar tastes in fragrances but when she was in her '80s she would smell something and interpret it an entirely different way.  I'd buy her different scented shower gels (philosophy or philosophy-like) and she would smell something that I just couldn't detect.

I'm noticing food odors are bothering me.  And herbs and spices I liked are now annoying me.  I'm not quite at the point where I can't eat hot, spicy food (when that day comes, take me to the Sandias with two boxes of Krispy Cremes, tie me to a tree, and wait for the bears to come.  You know -- my retirement plan?) but things like thyme are bothering me.  And for some reason I can't eat Thai food.  I can eat just about anything and I should like Thai food because I like the ingredients.  But somehow it just produces projectile vomiting.

I'm even at the point where I'm thinking BH is a little heavy on the garlic.  I've never even had that thought about garlic before.  Even when I was a little kid I could mainline the stuff.

I think we just evolve into new creatures.

@geezerette

@just bee

Are you ladies pregnant??Woman SurprisedWoman LOL 

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@Oshare-girl, I will check her out. I have broken my habit with the youtube beauty community. I still watch a few but it is less and less every time.  I like that she is doing everything and not just beauty. I have started bringing too much in again and I want to pull it back before it gets out of hand. 

Well, omgoodness, I just had to LOL!!!!! about the chest wrinkles. Yes, I just realized the same thing yesterday. I was wearing a tank top and when I looked in the mirror, there they were. I was dumbfounded.  Where did they come from????  They werent there the day before. Woman LOL  I have been trying to remember to bring things down to my chest area lately but I never went that low.  It is time to be more mindful. I am not liking that one bit. Not one bit, I tell you.

@aprilskies Agreed, it's great that she is doing a more comprehensive no-buy.  I find that I stop buying in one area and seem to go crazy in another area. Wouldn't it be great if we could stop buying and then go crazy with the exercise?? I would be set!

Those darned chest wrinkles definitely appeared overnight. Boy, they scared me! And then I started thinking about the BACK of my neck.  I never put anything there, nor do I even glance in that direction.  I'm hoping my hair has been providing some sun protection but I'm going to take a peek tonight. Gah, that would be even worse than bringing the skincare down to the check. Taking it to the back of the neck too would be the last straw.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

A few weeks (months?) ago my computer was dying, but then it was resurrected so I've put off buying a new one.  Today it started dying again.

If I disappear from the thread, you'll know why.

Just a heads-up.

@just bee When it finally kicks the bucket, I would recommend a Chrome book. It's just the basics and pretty cheap. We got one for the kids to use for homework since most of their assignments are Google docs. For just surfing the internet and email, it works great. You can find some for under $200!

Trusted Contributor

@DelaRose wrote:

On May 1st I got the incentive to start using the products in my stash.  I'm really gonna do this I told myself so I opened a 32 oz lotion of Baby Grace and now on June 1st I'm only 1/4 way thru the bottle.   I looked thru my stash and noticed I have another 32 oz lotion of Baby Grace and also a 32 oz of Living Grace.  I haven't purchased Philosophy in a long time so I looked thru my past purchase history on QVC and yes, I purchased this product in 2016.  OMG 2 years; where does the time go? And now that I'm older I can't stand the smell anymore; it's not that the lotion has changed I have!  I only want to use no fragrance products now.  How in the world am I gonna get thru this stash?  No wonder my bathroom is a cluttered mess with all these products.  No way, no way is Hubby right when he said that I'd never use it all.  I will persevere if only to prove him wrong!!!!!  Thank god I canceled all auto delivery two years ago and I don't plan on ever going on another auto delivery plan again.  In fact, I haven't done an unnecessary purchase the whole month of May and plan on continuing that trend.  It looks like I won't be purchasing body lotion for at least another 2 years.    

@DelaRose Back in the day I had auto-deliveries for Philosophy products galore.  It took a while until I could cancel those, but once I did I felt great! Good for you! 

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies

I like that: Low buy.  In May I bought a couple pizzas, some tacos, Acure oils and shampoo/conditioner (sale), and tea.  Harney & Sons sent me one of those emails to entice me to buy.

Where have you been?  We noticed you haven't been shopping with us.  What if we gave you ten bucks off your next order?

I restocked Paris and Victorian London Fog -- just one of each -- and they're sitting in my mailbox right now.  Must get them out before they cook in there.

It's 66 degrees now but it will start creeping towards 90.  The state's on fire.  How did I move to a state that has no rain? Woman Tongue

@just bee Similar thing happened to me. I got an email from Ulta saying how much they miss me and offered me $15 off of $50. That's like 30% off! But I rarely buy from Ulta because they don't consider Hawaii a part of the USA, at least the contiguous part, so we don't get free shipping. The coupon expired today and they reminded me yesterday to use it. Well, I passed on it. Ulta is supposed to be opening in Hawaii later this year so I'll be fine until then. I really don't need anything now. Or later.

Trusted Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

In May I used up $142 worth of products and about $43 of that was unnecessary stuff that I wouldn't repurchase. It's time for a new seasonal makeup capsule for me so I switched out my blush, eyeshadow palette and lip products.  I also replaced my mascara. I'm really happy with using these mini sized mascaras. They last 3 months for me, which is perfect for the capsule. I didn't finish the lipstick from the last capsule. I finished a mini sized one which took a whole month. But the full sized one was a Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche, which is so pigmented, I only needed one swipe per application. I wiped it down with an alcohol swab and put it back in the fridge with the rest of the lippie stash. I was really disappointed that I didn't hit pan on my blush. It was the Tarte Sephora birthday gift and is really tiny.  I was sure I would hit pan in 3 months but no.

Putting back my lipstick, I looked at the rest of the stash and sigh, I have 2 more years worth of lippies in there.  I thought I would be down to just one year... But I bought back ups of 2 lippies last year and we all know what that means. It's my HG lippie (that got reformulated so I snatched them up when I saw them) but still, that's 6 months of lipstick in those 2 products. So I will tell myself again, DO NOT BUY BACK UPS.

Ok, back to watching YT. Oh, the volcano just won't stop. I keep getting these updates from the local news station that people in the surrounding neighborhoods need to evacuate.  i don't understand why they are still in their homes. This isn't just a flood that can be cleaned up later. This is fire that will surround and trap them in their homes. You can't just drive over fresh lava. Tires will melt. I don't understand...Move out while you can and let the house go.

@Oshare-girl  I just added Hannah Louise Poston on my list of YouTuber's to watch.   Thanks for the recommendation.

@momoftwo2007 i think you'll really like her. Her videos are on the longer side, but I like that. She's articulate and is able to put into words all the things that I think but can't verbalize. And she's got great style. Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

I'm feeling motivated.  Quick, the lava is headed straight towards your home.  You have a couple hours to get your belongings out of the house.  You can only take what fits into your car(s). What do you take? 

I need to ponder this.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@Oshare-girl

It always amazes me when an area is devastated by a natural disaster and the people who are affected are interviewed and they are so rational and resilient about the whole experience.  It's usually in the Midwest after a tornado and they're standing in front of a pile of rubble that used to be their life.

My friend in Missouri, who just rebuilt his home after a tornado, had that same attitude.  I guess you have to or you couldn't survive the experience.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~