Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Just June

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I’ve been thinking about cutting my hair.  I have been thinking about it for a couple of years, but the OG never really liked it shorter.  There are always pros and cons to both my shorter and longer hair “styles”—and I use that word loosely—and whenever I take the plunge and get it cut, inevitably two days later I regret it.  Been there, done that.  I’m just so sick of it long and I look awful with it like that.  Problem is, I don’t look any better with shorter hair, and I have to take the time to dry and style it every day.  And when I have a bad hair day, I can’t just pull it back like with long hair.  

Why do women obssess about this stuff—hair and makeup?  I have a lot more serious things happening in my life than my hair length, yet this is a topic on my mind almost constantly right now.  Maybe it’s like eating—it’s something I have control over.  And if it doesn’t work out, hair grows back.  So why not just do it?  I don’t know.  I haven’t worked up the nerve yet.  I don’t like making decisions.

@geezerette

I'm due for a cut and I can tell because one day my hair looks fine and today it looks godawful.  I've thought about growing it out again but that's an ugly process.

It's like eyeglass frames.  I'm at the point where how they feel is more important than how they look.  Cutting off all my hair probably feels better than it looks.

If your hair is long, why not do a "gradual" cut?  Like, chop off a few inches and see how it goes?  Then chop off some more...

@just bee

That’s what I’ve been thinking myself.  Cut it now to about shoulder length or so—just long enough to still be able to pull back for the summer, but get rid of all that that hangs down the back.  Then later go to the shorter bob I’m thinking of.

Great minds, once again!

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@DelaRose

@geezerette

That's probably why I'm still using pure grace.  I poured out a bunch of fragrances a few weeks ago because they just smelled too strong.  I may have to go through the rest of my fragrances and prune those, too.

I always had a problem with people who had a problem with scent, but now I'm noticing that the smell of the food people eat at work turns my stomach.

It's gotta be age.

And that’s weird because I thought you were supposed to start to lose your sense of smell as you age.  

I’ve been sensitive to smells for years.  A lot of mine has to do with my immune system.  Not-so-good diet for too long combined with the large amounts of various pollutants around nowadays.  I’m actually not as bad now as I was about twenty years ago.

And I find that fragrances I’m used to and use consistently I tolerate better than new ones.  

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette

I'm due for a cut and I can tell because one day my hair looks fine and today it looks godawful.  I've thought about growing it out again but that's an ugly process.

It's like eyeglass frames.  I'm at the point where how they feel is more important than how they look.  Cutting off all my hair probably feels better than it looks.

If your hair is long, why not do a "gradual" cut?  Like, chop off a few inches and see how it goes?  Then chop off some more...

@just bee

That’s what I’ve been thinking myself.  Cut it now to about shoulder length or so—just long enough to still be able to pull back for the summer, but get rid of all that that hangs down the back.  Then later go to the shorter bob I’m thinking of.

Great minds, once again!

@geezerette

The length I really like is just above the shoulder -- barely touching it.  It's long enough to hide what you want to hide but not long enough to get caught in the car door.

I think it's one of the most flattering lengths.  It's just long enough to change the look: Center part, side part, pulled back, pulled up.  Not too weighed down and it has a little bounce -- a little sass.  But still classic.

Now you're making me want to grow mine out again.

And I shouldn't because the older I get, the wavier my hair gets.  I can't pull off a successful bob because one side of my head curls under while the other curls up.

Even now -- as short as it is -- one side in the back is curling under and the other is doing a Florence Henderson shag thing.

Where's the razor? Woman Frustrated

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@DelaRose

@geezerette

That's probably why I'm still using pure grace.  I poured out a bunch of fragrances a few weeks ago because they just smelled too strong.  I may have to go through the rest of my fragrances and prune those, too.

I always had a problem with people who had a problem with scent, but now I'm noticing that the smell of the food people eat at work turns my stomach.

It's gotta be age.

And that’s weird because I thought you were supposed to start to lose your sense of smell as you age.  

I’ve been sensitive to smells for years.  A lot of mine has to do with my immune system.  Not-so-good diet for too long combined with the large amounts of various pollutants around nowadays.  I’m actually not as bad now as I was about twenty years ago.

And I find that fragrances I’m used to and use consistently I tolerate better than new ones.  

@geezerette

Yeah, that's what they say.  You lose your sense of smell and taste.  But I don't think you lose it -- it just changes.  My mother and I had similar tastes in fragrances but when she was in her '80s she would smell something and interpret it an entirely different way.  I'd buy her different scented shower gels (philosophy or philosophy-like) and she would smell something that I just couldn't detect.

I'm noticing food odors are bothering me.  And herbs and spices I liked are now annoying me.  I'm not quite at the point where I can't eat hot, spicy food (when that day comes, take me to the Sandias with two boxes of Krispy Cremes, tie me to a tree, and wait for the bears to come.  You know -- my retirement plan?) but things like thyme are bothering me.  And for some reason I can't eat Thai food.  I can eat just about anything and I should like Thai food because I like the ingredients.  But somehow it just produces projectile vomiting.

I'm even at the point where I'm thinking BH is a little heavy on the garlic.  I've never even had that thought about garlic before.  Even when I was a little kid I could mainline the stuff.

I think we just evolve into new creatures.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Today is the final day of early voting for our primary, so I jumped in the car and drove over there.  A bigger turnout than I expected but I was still in and out in a matter of minutes.

Now I can check that off my list of things to do.

BH and I always vote together but he declined to go today.

Loser! Woman Tongue

I can't imagine not voting.  Even if my ballot is headed for landfill tonight.

Trusted Contributor

And just like that, it's Just June. Almost halfway through the year...

So first, I have a new favorite YouTube channel.  Check out Hannah Louise Poston.  She's doing a no-buy YEAR! I heard about her from the Facebook Use it up group. I haven't watched all her videos yet but I am binging them currently.  She's smart, funny and has some great insights. I've been watching project panners on YT, but many of them are just using things up so they can buy more.  HLP is out to change her habits and she totally would be a great member of our Compactors. So many things she has said has resonated with me.  BTW, it's not just a makeup no-buy. She's not buying skincare, clothes and housewares also. I have to keep this short so I can go back and watch more of her videos.

In May I used up $142 worth of products and about $43 of that was unnecessary stuff that I wouldn't repurchase. It's time for a new seasonal makeup capsule for me so I switched out my blush, eyeshadow palette and lip products.  I also replaced my mascara. I'm really happy with using these mini sized mascaras. They last 3 months for me, which is perfect for the capsule. I didn't finish the lipstick from the last capsule. I finished a mini sized one which took a whole month. But the full sized one was a Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche, which is so pigmented, I only needed one swipe per application. I wiped it down with an alcohol swab and put it back in the fridge with the rest of the lippie stash. I was really disappointed that I didn't hit pan on my blush. It was the Tarte Sephora birthday gift and is really tiny.  I was sure I would hit pan in 3 months but no.

Putting back my lipstick, I looked at the rest of the stash and sigh, I have 2 more years worth of lippies in there.  I thought I would be down to just one year... But I bought back ups of 2 lippies last year and we all know what that means. It's my HG lippie (that got reformulated so I snatched them up when I saw them) but still, that's 6 months of lipstick in those 2 products. So I will tell myself again, DO NOT BUY BACK UPS.

I was also horrified by the sight of my chest in the morning.  It's all wrinkled! I sleep curled on my side so all the chest skin is bunched up.  After that I started taking all my skincare that I use on my face, down my neck and to my chest.  I would like everything to match. Even the retin A is going on the neck and chest. Oh and hands too.  SPF especially on all those areas. I hope my chest will catch up with my face skin soon.

Ok, back to watching YT. Oh, the volcano just won't stop. I keep getting these updates from the local news station that people in the surrounding neighborhoods need to evacuate.  i don't understand why they are still in their homes. This isn't just a flood that can be cleaned up later. This is fire that will surround and trap them in their homes. You can't just drive over fresh lava. Tires will melt. I don't understand...Move out while you can and let the house go.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies

Congrats on the no-buy May.  You’re really doing well with this whole consumption reduction.   I did well until the end of the month.  My buying tends to come in spurts.  I’ll buy nothing for weeks, then a bunch in a week or two.  Some were auto-deliveries, some were gifts, and admittedly, a few were things I wouldn’t have bought if the OG were here.  I’m allowing myself a few of those purchases, but I’m going to have to watch myself because it’s too easy to get back into overbuying things when I’m trying to get rid of others.  And I have to remember that my income is now all up to me.

I hear ya about the heat and humidity.  I don’t know where you are, but here in the mid-south, May has been so hot and humid already (record breaking), that I don’t even want to think about June—let alone July and August!  Ugh.

@geezerette, thanks, I am trying not to bring in too many beauty products and I was kinda happy I only bought a needed concealor in May. My buying spurts are like yours, I can do okay for a week or two and then boom, everything is a good idea. I was in one of these spurts when all the Memorial Day beauty specials were going on, but I held off.  Phew. It helped that I rearranged my products, it is always eye opening. But, I am still bringing in too much of other stuff which is ironic considering I am trying to reduce.  It is still a work in progress, but I am doing much better.

I think sometimes it is just part of my "fun."  Whatever happened to the "fun," I dont think I have been having much lately.

One thing I learned about myself in trying to use things up, I sure am lazy and not committed to any one routine or product except for moisturizer for the face.  I never reach for things the way I think I am, so why then do I buy all this stuff? I will admit, i do like trying new stuff and trying to find that one great product I love.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee,  because companies just mess with everything that works eventually.  It’s sad.  I don’t have many holy grails and the two I had are no longer.  I still miss them. R.I.P. Huggies from Costco. 😢

@aprilskies

The original concept for The ComPact was to find those HG products and stick with them.  I'm more than willing to do just that but it's becoming more and more difficult.  You find something and then it either changes or vanishes.

It's one reason I stocked three oils when Acure had their 50% off sale.  I'm happy as a clam with Lumene but I can't count on finding their products in the future.  Not only aren't they available, but the company changes their line too frequently for me to become attached again.

@just bee, I have given up on HG's.  If I find something great, I will use until they eventually change it, but I am no longer dreaming of it.  I think at this point, I want to simplify my routine and just stick with that. It is ashame how they change products so quickly.

Even protein bars.  Sometimes I like to have these in my purse and try to find at least one that has good ingredients that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. When I think I have stumbled on something, I read reviews and they are filled with these use to be great, but they changed something.  Ugh. LOL.

Respected Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, I am proud to say no unnecessary beauty purchases in May.  Yahoo.  That was a tough one with the specials and my urge to buy. And good thing I bought a concealor, I am out.  Sometimes those impulse purchases come in handy. 

I plan on on holding on to my low buy in June too if I can.  It feels so good to not bring in loads of products. I still have so much to get through.  I can’t imagine some of that isn’t spoiled. But, I will deal with them as they come up. 

So far this year I only bought a handful of skincare products, no mu.  The skincare I didn’t need but wanted to try. No more skincare unless needed. Plus, if it is really hot in June, Who would be thinking of products.  Some days I can barely get out the door without melting.  What a waste of product and effort.  I am not looking forward to a brutal summer.  Keeping my fingers crossed that is it sans humidity. Yeah, right. 

Have a a nice day, ladies. 

I am glad that you are doing well with your low buy @aprilskies.  I had a beauty product "no buy" for lent. And it was a success.  And now let is over, I am on a low buy for beauty product, too. It was hard in the beginning, but it got easier after a month (I think I just got out the habit of looking for deals/ next best thing). However, I am not doing so well on fashion.  I bought whole bunch of clothes from JCPENNY and HSN in April and May. I think I'll need to go on a fashion no buy in June.  I definitely don't need any more clothes.  

It is tough, @momoftwo2007.  I havent accomplished a no buy month yet.  That is great you were able to do it for Lent.  Now you just need to be careful you dont go crazy. It is so easy to do. One of these months, I will attempt it. If only I can replace my shopping with exercise, I would be fit as a fiddle.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

A few weeks (months?) ago my computer was dying, but then it was resurrected so I've put off buying a new one.  Today it started dying again.

If I disappear from the thread, you'll know why.

Just a heads-up.

@just bee, yup, I had to replace mine last year.  It is nice to have a new one.