Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Just January!

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee- I don't really follow a specific type of "diet' either, I just cut back on how much I'm eating so that I'm burning off more than I'm taking in. Plus I try to eat heathier too, because an apple has less calories than a cupcake. Just a basic low calorie diet. I guess if I'd have to compare it to anything it would be like Weight Watchers, I can eat whatever I want, just less calories. 

The toys are out of the house! Woo hoo! I'm really glad that those boxes are gone. I'm not looking forward to hitting my closet mainly because I don't like trying clothes on. Maybe next week I'll get in there Smiley Happy

@rnmom

Eating less, making healthier choices and burning more calories.  That really is the best way to do it.  That last part is important.  When I was home from work for six weeks I went out with the dog every day and lost weight.

I worked overtime Friday night but made myself stay awake when I got home just so I could get a hike in with Better-half and Chunkums.  The calorie burning part is crucial.

As for closets... I think that's another part I dread.  Trying on all those old clothes.  Aaarrgghh.

@just bee

😂  I hope you didn’t call him that to his face!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Eating less, making healthier choices and burning more calories.  That really is the best way to do it.  That last part is important.  When I was home from work for six weeks I went out with the dog every day and lost weight.

I worked overtime Friday night but made myself stay awake when I got home just so I could get a hike in with Better-half and Chunkums.  The calorie burning part is crucial.

As for closets... I think that's another part I dread.  Trying on all those old clothes.  Aaarrgghh.

@just bee

😂  I hope you didn’t call him that to his face!

@geezerette

The tone of my voice was exceedingly loving.  And he got a hike in the Sandias yesterday.  All is forgiven.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

And I also agree about this Compact making me more aware of my wants, needs and priorities.  I didn’t have a very good first week of the new year (mostly because of that darned HEP again), but I have a better idea of what I’m doing and where I want to go.  My weak points and what triggers them.  

I was hoping to magically become a new vice-free person when the calendar changed to a new year.  But that didn’t happen.  I guess it takes work, not magic.  So I have to try harder this week, that’s all.  I read or heard somewhere recently that when you fall short of a goal, instead of beating yourself up about failing, forgive and encourage yourself to do better, like you would for a friend.  That’s what we do here.  And if I am having a bad week, I can be happy and encouraged by someone else’s successes that week, be they large or small.  And inspired to do better!👍

@geezerette

Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

And I also agree about this Compact making me more aware of my wants, needs and priorities.  I didn’t have a very good first week of the new year (mostly because of that darned HEP again), but I have a better idea of what I’m doing and where I want to go.  My weak points and what triggers them.  

I was hoping to magically become a new vice-free person when the calendar changed to a new year.  But that didn’t happen.  I guess it takes work, not magic.  So I have to try harder this week, that’s all.  I read or heard somewhere recently that when you fall short of a goal, instead of beating yourself up about failing, forgive and encourage yourself to do better, like you would for a friend.  That’s what we do here.  And if I am having a bad week, I can be happy and encouraged by someone else’s successes that week, be they large or small.  And inspired to do better!👍

@geezerette

Heart

ugh, me too @geezerette, me too. HEP is going to be a challenge. We can do it. January will be an equalizing month. 😽

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well it is true what they say- we are mindless in our purchasing. I picked up some contact solution when I was out and about, I come home only to see a “your order was shipped” email from Amazon.  Head scratcher as I wasn’t waiting for anything. I look and it was contact solution. Now I have a few bottles of something that I don’t need on a consistent basis. I don’t even remember placing that order. Oy vey.  Oh well, I give give some to the nephews. 

And it is time to organize all the products so I can begin my use up focus again this year.  Last year showed me how many products I have and how many I actually want to use.  Not many.  Even some of the specialty ones I lined up to use, I would forget to reach for them. I think I have to do a bite the bullet clean out. I am getting a bit sick of just trying to use things up just to use them and having so many things around.  This year is definitely a purchase on a needed basis year.  No more stuff just because there is a sale. 

I have been getting acne that is big and hard and lasts for a good month +.  It is terrible. 😫 I am going to the derm at the end of the month but if anyone has any ideas I am all ears. 

Have a nice day everyone. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

Maybe we should have a challenge to see who can go the longest without buying.  On your marks, get set...

I've been getting all these philosophy emails and I figured it was probably time to reorder pure grace spritz.  Good thing I made the effort to get up and open the linen closet.  I had way more than I thought I had.

I have plenty of everything right now -- can't order more Lumene because it's just not available.  The only thing I'll need will be mascara -- three months from now.

I keep looking at bras online but I just can't seem to order.  These are in the necessity category so I don't know why I can't do it.  Weird.  I should just order enough to replace the ones I can toss.  We're talking bras under $20.  It's not like I'm buying a prom dress.

Honored Contributor

And why can't I just throw away that pūrlisse BB cream???

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies

Maybe we should have a challenge to see who can go the longest without buying.  On your marks, get set...

I've been getting all these philosophy emails and I figured it was probably time to reorder pure grace spritz.  Good thing I made the effort to get up and open the linen closet.  I had way more than I thought I had.

I have plenty of everything right now -- can't order more Lumene because it's just not available.  The only thing I'll need will be mascara -- three months from now.

I keep looking at bras online but I just can't seem to order.  These are in the necessity category so I don't know why I can't do it.  Weird.  I should just order enough to replace the ones I can toss.  We're talking bras under $20.  It's not like I'm buying a prom dress.

I already bought one item but count me in from here going forward. It would be interesting to see long we can go.

I know, the things we need, we drag our feet and the things we dont, we cant hold ourselves back from pressing submit.  I cant tell you how many times this happens to me.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

And why can't I just throw away that pūrlisse BB cream???

Why, because you feel you need to use it up.  Same as my oils. I dont use them. They are now kinda old for oils I guess, not sure, but every time I go to toss them, I figure well, they are not cloudy, I will use them for this and that but I dont end up reaching for them.  After tossing so much, I have been trying to use up what I can but I am getting a little tired of the mental gymnastics.

Another item that I am having a hard time tossing is my 32 oz Wen tea tree conditioner. At the end of last year, I started using it as hand soap and not sure I am liking it for that. 1. it doesnt seem to really clean my hands well, and 2. it leaves a filmly residue in the sink that I always have to wash away (more annoying than anything). I guess bottom line, I dont like it as hand soap either. But I know the minute I toss it, I will discover a new use for it.  But, I dont see what else it could be used for.  i have a few shaving creams, but I really dont reach for them. I just use soap as I am showering.

I think I have to take some time this weekend and pull everything out and be realistic.  Using things up is so satisfying but I think it is time to do another clean out round.

I got mu under control last year, this year I need to work on skincare.  I am really getting jazzed to keep this stuff under control. 

I will say this - I want to make this my last year of having to organize and reorganize products.

I do need a new coat so I will turn my focus to that.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

@just bee

There is that adage of “if you don’t use it for a year, throw it out”.  I sort of do that, but I don’t have the discipline to use up things I don’t like.  I normally toss them before they’re gone.  Like right now, I have a 32 oz’er of philosophy shampoo and conditioner that need using.  But I hate what it does to my hair now.  It was fine a few years ago, but now, it makes it like straw.  And I think the conditioner may be rancid because it already smells like Pledge.  Considering what it does to my hair, I refuse to use the shampoo on my already cracked and bleeding hands, so I probably am just going to end up throwing it out.  Although, I could leave it to use on the dog.  When it warms up enough to bathe her again.

Rarely do I ever wish I had kept something after I threw out.  Once in a great while, but mostly once something is gone, I completely forget about it.  I still have a couple of purses that I keep to rotate with the ones I’ve been using lately, but after using them once, they normally go back into the closet because I remember why I don’t like them.  I just keep them because I get frustrated with the purse I’m currently carrying and get tempted to buy something else.  (It’s that eternal search for the perfect purse.)  But at least this silly little method keeps me from buying any more.

@aprilskies , I don’t have any suggestions for your acne problem, but I can say from personal experience that if you are “of a certain age”, as they say, menopause can do a number on your face with breakouts.  I had a heck of a time for years no matter what products I was using.  It was worse than when I was a teenager.  When I finally got over most of those symptoms, my face has been staying quite clear, with the exception of a few very small zits now and then, and those I can always figure out the cause.  Also, and I hate to admit this, but diet played a huge role in my acne.  When I was eating well—no sugar, junk or prepared foods—my face stayed clear.  About 2-3 days after I’d go back to eating the above, the little devils would rear their ugly little heads again.  Even though it was as plain as the zit on my face, I just kept eating badly.  Powerful stuff, that junk food.