Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Just January!

@just bee- for what it's worth, and this is totally just my opinion, I say ditch the purlisse and get whatever you can of what's left of the Lumene. You like the Lumene a lot better right? So use as much of it as you can while it's still good and stop forcing yourself to use something that you don't really care for. You're worth itSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee- one of my major downfalls is chocolate, I could eat it 3 times a day, after every meal, and it doesn't matter in what form, or if I'm even hungry, I just love sweets. Candy, cake, brownies, cookies, it's all good. Cutting out sweets will help tremendously, but I just need to cut back on portion sizes overall and start eating more fruits and veggies and less chips and junk food. Plus I need to get off my butt. I was doing a lot of walking but with the crappy weather I haven't been getting out to walk at all. I have a treadmill but I don't like it. 

@rnmom

I'm a big fan of carbs, but if I had to choose between cake and a hunk of bread, I'd go for the bread.  And the linguine.

As I've aged I've noticed I've reduced the sweets.  I'm thinking it's because my mother found out "accidentally" that she was diabetic after she went into a coma.

I worry about diabetes because her family leaned that way and our previous dog was diabetic.  I happily donate blood and have no issues with the giant needle in my arm, but when they have to get blood from my finger to check my iron... I hate that.

I've been cutting back on sweets and chips.  My weakness is a great cookie.  And chips and salsa.  I used to eat chips and the hottest salsa I could find for breakfast back in college in the 70s.

It's probably why I depend on good apples.  They provide a good crunch and enough sweetness to satisfy that craving.

Walking, though, is crucial.  That's the one form of exercise that doesn't feel like exercise and it reduces stress.  Stress is the root of all evil.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee- for what it's worth, and this is totally just my opinion, I say ditch the purlisse and get whatever you can of what's left of the Lumene. You like the Lumene a lot better right? So use as much of it as you can while it's still good and stop forcing yourself to use something that you don't really care for. You're worth itSmiley Happy

@rnmom

I'll probably toss the light and use what's left of the medium on my days off.  I do like Lumene, and I was just lining up a replacement face cream from Acure when I noticed the sale at Walgreens.

I'm tempted to buy a few jars of Glow Reveal and use that the rest of the year.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

One of the creams I was looking at was no longer available, so I clicked on a few items and left them in the shopping cart before I went to sleep.  At the sale prices, I figured things would disappear quickly

I refreshed the page this morning and one of the creams went poof.  Already sold out.

So I ended up staying with items I knew and picked up a jar of Gel Mask and three jars of Glow Reveal.  I've been using it daily, so I figure I'll have enough for the rest of the year.

Lumene

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee- glad you finally ordered the bras and t-shirts. I bought a couple new bras several weeks ago because the ones I have here have seen better days and I haven't even tried them on yet. Duh. What am I waiting for huh? I think I'm afraid one is the wrong size and I don't want to take it back. Good reason right? I don't want to try it on because I think I was wrong.

@aprilskies- good job getting everything out in the open where you can see it. It can be daunting huh? When stuff is tucked away in drawers and cupboards and closets it doesn't seem so bad, but when it's all out staring you in the face it's hard to deny. Good luck making decisions on what to do with all of it!

I did have a little motivation to get at least something done yesterday. Besides the usual laundry, dishes, etc, I worked in our office space a little bit. I really dislike filing papers, etc, but I wanted to do a little decluttering. Our office space is in our loft, it's where I store our file cabinets, shredder, etc, even though it doesn't really get used for that anymore. I worked on organizing a few items up there and tossed a few things, filed a few things, shredded a few things and started getting some papers around for taxes. So at least I got something accomplished. Same old story up there though too, half the papers, books, folders, etc are hubby's so I can't do anything with that stuff. Oh well, I did what I could. Overall it was a pretty busy and productive day.

We'll see what today brings, it might just be a veg day. Have a great one everybody!

Speaking of bras, I bought two over a year ago.  I never buy such expensive bras but thought I would "treat" myself to something pretty. Not that price has anything to do with it. It was just during a Norstrom sale.  I bought my size and of course they dont fit because of the weight. I held onto to them. I forgot about them until a few months ago when I found a bag in my walk in. Woman Sad  They still dont fit.  But to be fair to myself, I had intentions of taking them back if I didnt lose the weight, I just totally forgot about them and they fell to the back of my closet.

@rnmom, I managed to get everything back into my bathroom cabinet and the linen closet.  At moments, I got totally overwhelmed and had to take breaks. How crazy is that.  I was not successful at decluttering much, I was just overwhelmed and couldnt think clearly.  But now, everything is at least in linen closet that I am not actively using and it will be easier to see what I have before purchasing more.  I will go through them again. No way would I ever use 20 diffferent hair products.   And some scrubs I know I just wont use, too oily.  So, I think I have some easy hits at least.

You are inspiring me to tackle my paperwork.  Just one thing I totally avoid but it is a must.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies

So maybe we need to take another look at our no-buy challenge. Woman LOL

Teas and bras are necessities in my world; are we talkin' beauty items specifically?  That I can do.

Like I said, all I need is mascara and then I'm willing to be done until I run out of something.  Still auditioning the Acure shampoo and conditioner.  Not bad, but still have a backup set.  (Of course I do!)

So... wanna see how long we can go before we buy something we absolutely, positively do not need?  I can up the ante and include shoes in that. Woman Wink

@just bee, Sure, I am in for this challenge. I will say first and foremost beauty products are in my no buy zone.  I will add in "misc" purchases.  This is not one category but a range of little things that seem innocous.  Like recently I needed new earbuds.  I picked up 3. I didnt need three, I needed one. But I cant tell you how many of these types of purchases I have had already in January.  They add up - quick - and are nothing but clutter if not used or needed. While I havent bought much beauty in January I keep feeling myself press click on something. It feels neverending.

So, I am in starting today. So, yes, lets see how long we can go before needing something.  I think I would be okay for the rest of the year except maybe for moisturizer.

Respected Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

I can relate to so many of your collective buying and less than great eating habits and the reasons behind them. I know @just bee@ and @geezerette are long lost sisters but I have to say my posts could be identical to @geezerette's and @aprilskies'. 

HEP is a continual challenge for me. I have an addictive personality and I love bad for me food.  I do at least try to eat healthy meals so I will hopefully not have as much junk in between them. I have been consistently going to the gym 3 times per week for classes since last June so it helps that for 3 nights a week I'm not sitting around with a box of Cheez-its. 😆

I have also found that having a cup of hot tea when I'm hungry helps curb that hunger. Something warm always help me feel fuller.  Yep, staying busy and warm drinks and foods such as vegetable soups help me with HEP.  

I went on on quite a SKINN buying spree at some point this fall.  I sent back what didn't work an kept some items so I am using quite a number of products each morning and evening and will not repurchase most.  I simplified my skincare one in the past year or so but have crept back up to a ridiculous number of products again.  I should have 5 finished by the end of the month YAY!!

I remind myself of all the money I can save this year as I don't anticipate having to buy any night creams for at least a year, maybe two.  Now, if I can keep from finding a new purchasing obsession...🤔

My only other stash is WEN and I can't win with it.  A formula I was trying to use up and not repurchase has all of the sudden the turned from my "I can't wait to get rid of it formula" to my HG, and I majorly stocked up on my previous HG formula that will take me a good long time to use up while not having my best hair days 😤.  My hair has turned fickle on me. 

Compact on!  

@BExplorer wrote:

I can relate to so many of your collective buying and less than great eating habits and the reasons behind them. I know @just bee@ and @geezerette are long lost sisters but I have to say my posts could be identical to @geezerette's and @aprilskies'. 

HEP is a continual challenge for me. I have an addictive personality and I love bad for me food.  I do at least try to eat healthy meals so I will hopefully not have as much junk in between them. I have been consistently going to the gym 3 times per week for classes since last June so it helps that for 3 nights a week I'm not sitting around with a box of Cheez-its. 😆

I have also found that having a cup of hot tea when I'm hungry helps curb that hunger. Something warm always help me feel fuller.  Yep, staying busy and warm drinks and foods such as vegetable soups help me with HEP.  

I went on on quite a SKINN buying spree at some point this fall.  I sent back what didn't work an kept some items so I am using quite a number of products each morning and evening and will not repurchase most.  I simplified my skincare one in the past year or so but have crept back up to a ridiculous number of products again.  I should have 5 finished by the end of the month YAY!!

I remind myself of all the money I can save this year as I don't anticipate having to buy any night creams for at least a year, maybe two.  Now, if I can keep from finding a new purchasing obsession...🤔

My only other stash is WEN and I can't win with it.  A formula I was trying to use up and not repurchase has all of the sudden the turned from my "I can't wait to get rid of it formula" to my HG, and I majorly stocked up on my previous HG formula that will take me a good long time to use up while not having my best hair days 😤.  My hair has turned fickle on me. 

Compact on!  

@BExplorer, ITA, it is amazing to me how identical our struggles can be. I am so grateful I have somewhere to even express this stuff with people that understand.  Folks in my circle just dont understand and the couple of times I voiced anything, everyone just looks at me like I have 3 heads. LOL. I no longer try.

Yep, HEP, I have the same exact problem, exact.  I do think half the battle is getting out of the house and keeping busy.  Or maybe even keeping busy in the house.  Seems my toughest times are when I am sitting and watching TV.  Game on.  I really have to get better at keeping less junk food around.  Like you, I just love it and it is hard to resist.  I now have just about everything around.  I started with the tea thing too at night and it does help.  I just have to reach for that more often.  It is good that you get out to the gym. It keeps you distracted with a great side benefit.

Yes, yes and yes.  LMAO! The trick is not to find another obession.  This is the problem. Just when I get good in one area, another one or two or three take first stage. And then it seems to go full circle and I start at the beginning. In January, I find myself pressing click every other day.  I really have to make an effort to tune everything out.  I think like the food thing, I have to stop the mindless surfing.  I have to find something that gets me out of the house and involved. 

2018 is going to be an interesting year both with no buy and HEP.  i am looking forward to it.  It is time to work on bad habits and use that energy for something else.  Figuring what that something else is will be the trick.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies

So maybe we need to take another look at our no-buy challenge. Woman LOL

Teas and bras are necessities in my world; are we talkin' beauty items specifically?  That I can do.

Like I said, all I need is mascara and then I'm willing to be done until I run out of something.  Still auditioning the Acure shampoo and conditioner.  Not bad, but still have a backup set.  (Of course I do!)

So... wanna see how long we can go before we buy something we absolutely, positively do not need?  I can up the ante and include shoes in that. Woman Wink

@just bee, Sure, I am in for this challenge. I will say first and foremost beauty products are in my no buy zone.  I will add in "misc" purchases.  This is not one category but a range of little things that seem innocous.  Like recently I needed new earbuds.  I picked up 3. I didnt need three, I needed one. But I cant tell you how many of these types of purchases I have had already in January.  They add up - quick - and are nothing but clutter if not used or needed. While I havent bought much beauty in January I keep feeling myself press click on something. It feels neverending.

So, I am in starting today. So, yes, lets see how long we can go before needing something.  I think I would be okay for the rest of the year except maybe for moisturizer.

@aprilskies

Let's do it!  (Now that I've stocked up on bras, tea and Lumene...)

I was at work last night and I kept thinking:

@rnmom  is right.  I really should pitch that BB cream!

I have two new tubes of Lumene -- why do I feel I have to make lemonade out of lemons?

It's bizarre.

Honored Contributor

And I can't believe there's still no thread for Dolores O'Riordan.

Dolores

Dead at 46.  Godspeed.

Honored Contributor

Just a quick hello -- my computer is approaching Death's door and I don't know when it's going to give up the ghost.

Knock Knock