Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Funtastic February!

wrote:

wrote:

I also “try” to practice if I bring one item in, one item has to go!....especially w/ hair care products. I’m always looking for the next best styling mousse or gel.

@Shanus, ugh, haircare.  I have a ton and I think I am not buying more and no sooner, another one comes home to me.  But in my defense, I am having some hair issues and am not liking it at all.   So, this area, I just have to forgive myself for. It just has to be for now.

@aprilskies

Remember when I bought not only one 40-ounce jug of Head & Shoulders at Costco, but bought two?  And I hated the first bottle?

I still have the never-opened other jug.  And it's expired now.  Do I just pitch it?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Well, I received my products from the pharmacy yesterday and in my normal fashion, I proceed to read about the products. I wish I never did.  One of the medications claims severe side affects that may result in death and if you experience this and that, then run to your doctor.  Uh, say what.  My acne ISNT that bad now.  So, I am hesitant on what to do. I know that is the worse case scenario with any medications but ouch, but I have to stop reading these things. It gets in my head. Plus the fact, it states it goes into your bloodstream. BUT, I am thinking a lot of products do.  TMI isnt good. Woman LOL   and I went on the internet to read reviews from folks.  Also another problem. I am thinking this derm was a little too quick on giving me one of them.  But I am sure I am making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Oy vey, the joys of being in my own head.

So, I will use them. I have been putting it off because of dry skin. I know I will need to work my way through. I almost regret getting these products now.  Was it another excuse to spend?

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I also “try” to practice if I bring one item in, one item has to go!....especially w/ hair care products. I’m always looking for the next best styling mousse or gel.

@Shanus, ugh, haircare.  I have a ton and I think I am not buying more and no sooner, another one comes home to me.  But in my defense, I am having some hair issues and am not liking it at all.   So, this area, I just have to forgive myself for. It just has to be for now.

@aprilskies

Remember when I bought not only one 40-ounce jug of Head & Shoulders at Costco, but bought two?  And I hated the first bottle?

I still have the never-opened other jug.  And it's expired now.  Do I just pitch it?

@just bee Big Box stores are too big a temptation for cosmetics and food...try to stay w/ paper goods, coffee, bottled water and things I’ve used & like (detergents, shampoo, etc.) Also those stores are geared to larger families. Now that it’s just DH and me....hoarding waiting to happen.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@aprilskies

I hesitated posting that!  I don’t know how to ‘X’ out the, um, good parts.

Want me to delete the picture?

@geezerette. OMGOSH NO!!!  I was completely joking and having some fun.  I should have inserted a smiley face.

He looks like he is ready for a belly rub.

@geezerette

I envision an entire series of books:

Bad Dog Carla.

@just bee, oops, I should have said she.Smiley Embarassed  I know my birds and my bees.

And lol, Bad Dog Carla.   I wish I was Carla righ now frolicking in the sun.

@aprilskies

@just bee

Right now “Carla” is rolling around in the dead grass in the front yard.  Next she’ll want to come in the house and shake all that grass on my newly mopped floor.

But I do like the idea of the book series.  Maybe she could make enough money for me to hire a cleaning woman to sweep and mop my floors.

@geezerette

The new washer will be delivered and installed tomorrow.  I'm wondering if I'll be able to sweep up all the dog hair that's settled around the old one before the new one gets here.

I could knit a whole Newfoundland out of what's in the laundry room.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

wrote:

Well, I received my products from the pharmacy yesterday and in my normal fashion, I proceed to read about the products. I wish I never did.  One of the medications claims severe side affects that may result in death and if you experience this and that, then run to your doctor.  Uh, say what.  My acne ISNT that bad now.  So, I am hesitant on what to do. I know that is the worse case scenario with any medications but ouch, but I have to stop reading these things. It gets in my head. Plus the fact, it states it goes into your bloodstream. BUT, I am thinking a lot of products do.  TMI isnt good. Woman LOL   and I went on the internet to read reviews from folks.  Also another problem. I am thinking this derm was a little too quick on giving me one of them.  But I am sure I am making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Oy vey, the joys of being in my own head.

So, I will use them. I have been putting it off because of dry skin. I know I will need to work my way through. I almost regret getting these products now.  Was it another excuse to spend?

@aprilskies

😂😂

Boy, does this scenario sound familiar!  Especially the internet part.  One little pain ends up becoming five different terminal diseases after I’ve looked on the web.

But you have a serious point there, too.  We can get so engrossed in our little day-to-day superficial concerns and perceived problems that we become obsessive about them and they have to get fixed.  But then we find out that the cure is sometimes worse than the disease.  All of a sudden that obsession is forgotten.  

Unfortunately, at that point I usually just become obsessed with some other petty problem...😩

Honored Contributor

Enjoyed myself!! Time for hair appointment. xoxo Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@aprilskies

I hesitated posting that!  I don’t know how to ‘X’ out the, um, good parts.

Want me to delete the picture?

@geezerette. OMGOSH NO!!!  I was completely joking and having some fun.  I should have inserted a smiley face.

He looks like he is ready for a belly rub.

@geezerette

I envision an entire series of books:

Bad Dog Carla.

@just bee, oops, I should have said she.Smiley Embarassed  I know my birds and my bees.

And lol, Bad Dog Carla.   I wish I was Carla righ now frolicking in the sun.

@aprilskies

@just bee

Right now “Carla” is rolling around in the dead grass in the front yard.  Next she’ll want to come in the house and shake all that grass on my newly mopped floor.

But I do like the idea of the book series.  Maybe she could make enough money for me to hire a cleaning woman to sweep and mop my floors.

@geezerette

The new washer will be delivered and installed tomorrow.  I'm wondering if I'll be able to sweep up all the dog hair that's settled around the old one before the new one gets here.

I could knit a whole Newfoundland out of what's in the laundry room.

@just bee

What brand did you finally decide on?

Valued Contributor

Happy February...already!  I have started a couple bags of good dates "impulse purchases" to donate to a local organization called Angels for the Elderly. They make the donations available to Senior citizens that may need a little help making ends meet.  The things donated like body wash, shampoos, soap,  moisturizers...help them free up money

for food and other bills.

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

Just dropping in to say hello. 

I love watching/reading decluttering stuff.  It helps me stay focused  Right now when I look around my place, I have clutter just about everywhere. I am not quite sure how that happens but I am tired of it. So, I am going to take a couple of hours this weekend and clean up some.

I have never kept a budget but I am trying to this year. It is easy in the beginning but then it becomes a chore but I will try and stick to it. I think it will be interesting what the numbers in the different line items will read.  I updated January last night. And while I thought I didnt buy any clothes, my receipts said otherwise. It is amazing what purchases you forget during the month.  One thing that made me happy was being able to get rid of most of the receipts. I dont keep them unless they are important.

HEP - well it has been a complete fail.  And I do mean complete.  But yesterday I decided to limit my carbs substantially and today when I woke up deciding what to have for breakfast, I realized it is the 1st of the month.  So, a great clean start, even though any day is a great start.  So, I am trying again. I cant let stress keep beating me at this game. If it is not one thing, it will be another.

I like the name of February and certainly something we need more of.

Ditto to all of this.  I got the credit card bill and yikes, it's double the normal. But I did real good on my receipt purging.Woman LOL 

I think my family is not onboard with decluttering.  I feel like I'm the only one in the house that is bothered by clutter.  Gr...  And saving electricity.  I am the only one turning things off.

And HEP...DS and I went to get cat food but ended up with the party sized bags of peanut butter M&Ms (this has happened before) and gummi bears.  Again, no support from the fam with HEP.  

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

To carry on a bit with @aprilskies subjects above, I returned my one “beauty” purchase from January.  It wasn’t because it was a fail—in fact, I not only liked it, but in the short time I used it, it seemed to improve my skin somewhat.  What, then, was the reason for returning?  The price.  It was just too expensive for what it was.  I had actually ordered and then cancelled that first order because I was uneasy about it, but ordered it again.  It bothered me the whole time I had the product.  Then I sat down and figured out how much it would cost to use it for a year, which turned out to be a month and a half of my social security—for this ONE product!  Which wasn’t even replacing any of my current products, just in addition to.  I still was tempted.  Then I did a quick run-through of my expenses, much like @aprilskies has mentioned, and saw what I spent on other things—necessary and not—and all that those totaled up to.  Packaged it up right then and there.  After it was gone, I actually regretted sending it back!  My mother is rolling over in her grave.🤫

Other than that one debacle, spending wasn’t bad.  HEP, on the other hand...I can’t say my month was a total failure, but close.  I did have several days of eating well and healthy, and feeling better because of it.  Although it isn’t my prime concern, I did end up losing a few pounds.  However, I fell off the wagon near the end of the month and did what I always do: gave up because I wasn’t perfect.  Instead of just messing up a day or two and getting back on the healthy wagon, I told myself I had screwed up yet again, and since it was near the end of the month, why bother now, just wait until February.  So I went bonkers and now, not only do I have to start from point A again, I have nine pounds to lose instead of the original five I was shooting for.😡  And I feel like 💩 again.  Smart, huh?  Not.

But, “January was just practice”.😖😞

Sounds totally familiar and thank you for giving it a name.  Perfection is evil.  It kills my spirit.  I will not let perfection get the best of me.  Back in the saddle.