Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 -- Adaptable August!

@rnmom

Oh, I'm on a roll now.  I tossed a pair of undies (Q: Are these ER appropriate? A: Nay.) and dispositioned mail (shred/recycle).

I'll bring more magazines to work this week, too.

It'll be really nice to have that fish oil out of the fridge.  Why did I keep a constant reminder of a bad purchase?

Ooooh.  Maybe I'm on to something there.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rnmom  Thanks for the good ideas.  I've used shower gels as hand soap, but never thought of using the facial cleansers.  I have too many so will do that--many are samples or gift with purchase.  Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

Oh, the underwear saga!  I, too, am finally tossing some undies.  I’ve been meaning to throw out those that needed it, but I always forget when I take them off and they just get washed again.  Then, while I’m folding, I notice which ones should have been tossed.  Well, once they’re clean again, I might as well get one more wear out of them, right?  And of course the cycle just repeats itself.  

Anyway, after tossing several pair out, I found I needed to purchase more, which I did.  Same kind, same size I’ve been wearing for years.  They fit.  I washed and dried them as I always have, and they’re too small!  Huh?  It can’t be because I’ve gained weight!😊  Okay, it can, but then why are my old ones still fitting? 

So I ended up having to buy a size larger to get them comfortable, which is really irritating.  Maybe not in the scheme of world peace, but it’s a big deal to me.  I bet they won’t last as long as the old ones, either.😠

Trusted Contributor

Hmm...as the saying goes, you can't buy happiness, but you can buy champagne, and that's pretty much the same thing.

Trusted Contributor

Well, @Daysdee, probably the most helpful thing would be to give yourself permanent amnesty for getting rid of things you don't use. Keeping them doesn't make them better. Could you make up a story about how those things spoil in a year or two? It's probably even true. 

Then maybe give yourself total permission to mix brands and pick the things you like from wherever you find them. Of course those manufacturers want you to buy only from them! And if it simplifies things for you, great. I admit I've rejected entire brands because I didn't like a single item I tried.

But seriously, there's a ton of stuff out there, and if you are lucky enough to find something you really like, don't give brand loyalty a second thought. (Do they have any loyalty to you? No, they regularly discontinue stuff I love. @just bee knows what I mean.)

Trusted Contributor

@just bee, I think it's a form of punishment. Should punishment, even warrented, last forever? Go sit in the corner for a few minutes instead, then go toss whatever you don't want! Smiley Happy

The money doesn't matter. It's spent and won't come back. The stuff doesn't matter. The world is full of stuff. How you feel about yourself, now that matters. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee-good job on the mini roll! I worked yesterday so I didn't do much, but after reading your post I found one item to part with. I went into the pantry and found a can of hot dog chili sauce that expired in May 2016 and tossed that. I think I still have a couple more cans with my extra food in the basement too. I like it, but I'm the only one in the house that eats it. I don't make hot dogs as much now that the kids are getting older and even then I forget that I have it. Obviously.

I purchase from Vitacost a few times a year. Their customer service is actually really good, if there's something you don't like, or if a product leaks, etc. you can get a full refund and don't have to return the item. It's really nice. That's why I don't ever worry about ordering from them. 

Respected Contributor

@Daysdee- You are welcome. I've bought facial cleansers before that just made my face way too dry, but they make perfectly fine hand soaps. Just about everything can be a hand soap. 

Respected Contributor

My item that I parted with today was I added another backpack to the donate pile. I also went thru a big bag of markers that my kids have been accumulating and tossed probably at least half of them that weren't working well. Now if they need markers for something and grab the bag at least they should get markers that work. 

I'm saving my donations for now because I'm trying to make arrangements to donate them to an animal rescue group in my area that is having a garage sale to raise money. The sale is in a couple weeks so I'll hopefully be donating them soon. 

Respected Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

I, like many, have many skincare lines I use/have used.  I was curious how other ladies "use up" brands that are still good, but have gone out of favor with them since they tried another brand.  I just can't dump everything. (on another thread I was almost "reprimanded" for mixing brands, etc.)

@Daysdee I am trying hard to use up the products that I have. Facial cleansers that I don't like using anymore, I use them as make-up brush cleansers.  

But I think I need to follow @rnmom@ and @River Song's foot steps and stop feeling guilty about not using everything up and just toss them.  My beauty items do need some serious decluttering.