Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 -- Adaptable August!

I purchased two new hair styling products at Walgreens the other day on a whim because they're having a BOGO half off sale.  I really like both products and even DH commented that my hair looked nice after using them.  I told DH I was going to throw away all the half used hair styling products that I've accumulated because they don't work for my hair.  He was thrilled, lol, that I'm actually throwing something away.

I'm thrilled to get rid of this stuff that I detested using just to use them up and I don't feel one bit guilty about not using them up.  My DH's illness has taught me that life is too short to use products you don't like.  Sure, it's money in the garbage but I'm making a concerted effort to return products I won't use and to be more selective in the first place.  Bonus, more empty space in the bathroom cabinets. 

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty wrote:

Hello everyone.  I've been lurking but not commenting.  My life is so busy with canning and trying to work and keep the house looking half ways decent. Sorry I had to chuckle a little when I read bee's account of taking magazines from 1997 to work...when my now hubby and I were dating he asked me to help him clean the house because he had fallen behind.  He was working a full time job and a part time job.  So I said sure.  I found a stack of magazines from the early to mid 90's and was getting ready to get rid of and he had a hissy.  Hadn't had time to read them yet he said.  This was a big pile.  That was in 1997.  Fast forward to 2000 when we got married and the stack was still there, a few added and still untouched.  They went to the recycling center.

@hellokitty

I don't subscribe to a single magazine yet I still find them in my mailbox.  When we first moved here I subscribed to several and always told myself that I would cut out and save all the interesting articles and recipes but I never did.

I usually warn my patients that they're in for a little bit of time-travel when I hand them reading material.  But I have to wonder about those poor souls in our lobby who pick up an issue and then look at the date.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

I purchased two new hair styling products at Walgreens the other day on a whim because they're having a BOGO half off sale.  I really like both products and even DH commented that my hair looked nice after using them.  I told DH I was going to throw away all the half used hair styling products that I've accumulated because they don't work for my hair.  He was thrilled, lol, that I'm actually throwing something away.

I'm thrilled to get rid of this stuff that I detested using just to use them up and I don't feel one bit guilty about not using them up.  My DH's illness has taught me that life is too short to use products you don't like.  Sure, it's money in the garbage but I'm making a concerted effort to return products I won't use and to be more selective in the first place.  Bonus, more empty space in the bathroom cabinets. 

@River Song

The older I get the more I appreciate the concept of "out of sight, out of mind."

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@River Song- I've tossed a bunch of items too just because I was SO sick of trying to fight my way thru products that I didn't like just because I felt like I should use them up. It is money in the garbage, but it's money spent whether I make myself miserable trying to use it up or just toss it, so I gave myself permission to let go of a lot of products I really didn't like and was just trying to use up. Glad the new hair styling products are working out for you, it's so nice when we find products that we actually enjoy! Seems for me these items are actually getting fewer and farther between. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@River Song- I've tossed a bunch of items too just because I was SO sick of trying to fight my way thru products that I didn't like just because I felt like I should use them up. It is money in the garbage, but it's money spent whether I make myself miserable trying to use it up or just toss it, so I gave myself permission to let go of a lot of products I really didn't like and was just trying to use up. Glad the new hair styling products are working out for you, it's so nice when we find products that we actually enjoy! Seems for me these items are actually getting fewer and farther between. 

@rnmom

In the past we've tried things here like post-which-item-you-parted-with-today.  Sometimes I think it's time to commit to parting with one item each day just to get back into the habit of purging.  Although you seem to have that down! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I, like many, have many skincare lines I use/have used.  I was curious how other ladies "use up" brands that are still good, but have gone out of favor with them since they tried another brand.  I just can't dump everything. (on another thread I was almost "reprimanded" for mixing brands, etc.)

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

I, like many, have many skincare lines I use/have used.  I was curious how other ladies "use up" brands that are still good, but have gone out of favor with them since they tried another brand.  I just can't dump everything. (on another thread I was almost "reprimanded" for mixing brands, etc.)

@Daysdee

Shampoos and shower gels become hand soap; conditioner becomes shaving gel; face cream becomes hand cream.

Respected Contributor

@just bee-I try! Smiley Happy  I actually really like the idea of parting with one item each day. I would be on board with that if anyone else is interested. It makes me feel like I'm making progress without having to spend a lot of time doing it. I like to declutter as I go a lot rather than making it a point to "declutter a closet, room, etc". For instance yesterday, as I was doing laundry and putting away my son's new socks and underwear I noticed 2 socks in his drawer without mates so they got tossed. I also found 5 pair of underwear that were about 3 sizes too small and 3 pair of shorts that are too small and he won't wear. So out they went. Took about 5 minutes to organize 2 drawers but I got rid of a few things to keep the drawers from getting too stuffed. That's how I purge a lot, just in little bits and pieces. 

Respected Contributor

@Daysdee-I've used up face creams/serums on my neck and chest, even on my body to use them up. Facial cleansers and shower gel as hand soap. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee-I try! Smiley Happy  I actually really like the idea of parting with one item each day. I would be on board with that if anyone else is interested. It makes me feel like I'm making progress without having to spend a lot of time doing it.

@rnmom

I'm in.  I ordered two bottles of fish oil from Vitacost back in 2014 and when they arrived one of the bottles had leaked all over.  I contacted customer service and I don't remember what happened but I ended up keeping the shipment.  But I shouldn't have because there's still a bottle of oil in the fridge.  Every time I look at it I'm reminded of the annoying oily shipment.  For some reason I switched to capsules but always thought I'd still use that bottle of oil.

I haven't used it and now it has expired.  I just pitched it.  Finally.  That was twenty bucks I shouldn't have bothered spending.

ETA:

Each bottle was $20 and I haven't ordered from Vitacost since.  That was my first and last order.  Not that I hold a grudge or anything...