Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Able April

@aprilskies

One week into the month: How's the no-buy thing going?

I stocked Dove deodorant (Costco coupon item) and I have to say that I was down to my last one -- at the point where the plastic container was scraping my arm pit.  No backups in the stash amazingly enough.

I feel the need to browse but that's only because I've felt ill for two weeks (cold? allergies?); however, I've toured the bathroom and have taken a good long look at all the items I bought last year (Lumene and Burt's Bees) and noticed that I haven't used them.

The saga continues.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Hello, all, yesterday I took five more boxes of things to donate. Last week, I donated six boxes of lovely books to the library. Everything came out of my bookshelves (I have lots), and demanded to be reshelved anew. Then all the liittle decorative accessories came out and whirled around to find new places. Then the pictures all begged to be rehung.

Then I got a new washer and dryer installed, and spent days catching up all the laundry. So now all the clothese think they need to be refolded and stored differently. Which made the shoes and socks jealous, so they had to be rearranged. I'm thinking about going through my closet and washing everything in there, whether it's clean or not. 

Of course, piles of things have now come out of wherever they were hiding, and I don't know where they are going. So demanding of them. Do I have to do everything myself? 

Meanwhile, I have been giving shelter to a young woman with a one and three year old for a week, to help her get out of an abusive living situation. Happy to help, but ready for them to leave. Fingers crossed. I'll probably have a big cleaning job to do. 

And finishing taxes for myself and two other people. Tedious!

Good news: no time to worry about whether WW3 is about to start!

Trusted Contributor

@just bee @geezerette I fervently agree about 66 degrees. During the day. Cold as you please at night. Fuzzy socks every day! Oh, well, I get this part of the year...

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Hello, all, yesterday I took five more boxes of things to donate. Last week, I donated six boxes of lovely books to the library. Everything came out of my bookshelves (I have lots), and demanded to be reshelved anew. Then all the liittle decorative accessories came out and whirled around to find new places. Then the pictures all begged to be rehung.

Then I got a new washer and dryer installed, and spent days catching up all the laundry. So now all the clothese think they need to be refolded and stored differently. Which made the shoes and socks jealous, so they had to be rearranged. I'm thinking about going through my closet and washing everything in there, whether it's clean or not. 

Of course, piles of things have now come out of wherever they were hiding, and I don't know where they are going. So demanding of them. Do I have to do everything myself? 

Meanwhile, I have been giving shelter to a young woman with a one and three year old for a week, to help her get out of an abusive living situation. Happy to help, but ready for them to leave. Fingers crossed. I'll probably have a big cleaning job to do. 

And finishing taxes for myself and two other people. Tedious!

Good news: no time to worry about whether WW3 is about to start!

@KaySD

How do you manage to get so much done?  My purge project came to a screeching halt and BH hasn't stopped reminding me.

I washed everything I was planning to donate and it's all piled high on a big leather chair.  He said if I don't donate it soon I'll have to wash it all over again.

HINT, HINT. Woman Mad

And you're doing all this with rugrats in the house?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Squirrel

Honored Contributor

Ah, boxes of books.  I got a million of ‘em.  Or maybe it just seems like a million.  To say the OG was an avid reader is an understatement.  And he read “real” books, the paper kind.  And he never got rid of them.  So now, I have them in boxes—everywhere.  I have been using the boxes instead of cat trees.  They’re not very attractive but the cat loves them.  

So now that I can do whatever I want without being scrutinized, I got a few real cat trees to replace the unsightly boxes.  I’ve wanted to do that for years because on the rare occasion that we have visitors, it’s rather embarrassing to have boxes covered with fuzzy throws all over the house. OG thought it was a good way to store the books and a waste of good money because the cat didn’t know whether he was sleeping on a pile of boxes or a $200 store bought cat tree.

And will it never end that the OG is still right?  I got the cat trees in, placed them strategically around the house in the cat’s favorite places, and sure enough, he hates them.  I may have to go back to the boxes after all.

Somebody is looking down at me and laughing his head off.  

Trusted Contributor

gezzerette - Try putting a few cat treats on the different levels of the cat tree and your cat may start like it better.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Ah, boxes of books.  I got a million of ‘em.  Or maybe it just seems like a million.  To say the OG was an avid reader is an understatement.  And he read “real” books, the paper kind.  And he never got rid of them.  So now, I have them in boxes—everywhere.  I have been using the boxes instead of cat trees.  They’re not very attractive but the cat loves them.  

So now that I can do whatever I want without being scrutinized, I got a few real cat trees to replace the unsightly boxes.  I’ve wanted to do that for years because on the rare occasion that we have visitors, it’s rather embarrassing to have boxes covered with fuzzy throws all over the house. OG thought it was a good way to store the books and a waste of good money because the cat didn’t know whether he was sleeping on a pile of boxes or a $200 store bought cat tree.

And will it never end that the OG is still right?  I got the cat trees in, placed them strategically around the house in the cat’s favorite places, and sure enough, he hates them.  I may have to go back to the boxes after all.

Somebody is looking down at me and laughing his head off.  

@geezerette

He's laughing something off... Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@just bee

I couldn’t find an appropriate emoji for that, and I didn’t want the entire thread to be poofed!🤫😀

Honored Contributor

@PAlady wrote:

gezzerette - Try putting a few cat treats on the different levels of the cat tree and your cat may start like it better.

@PAlady

I hadn’t thought of that.  It could work for the taller levels, if I can keep The Monster Dog from knocking the whole thing over to get to the cat treats!

Thanks for the suggestion!👍