Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Able April

@Shanuswrote:

Over the last few months, I’ve been clearing shelves and cabinets of nik naks that no longer have intense meaning.

Unfortunately, clutter is a step away when I keep Aunt Jenny’s vase for 20 yrs. even though it’s not a beauty, never used it and don’t intend to display it. 

I’m also elimating the too many framed family photos on tables and shelves. I’m putting the older ones in a box for safe keeping, but selecting more recent ones for the frame...I don’t 9 of oldest granddaughter at each birthday party on my mantle.

.......and so it goes.

@Shanus

I keep checking out the "purging" thread on the Home forum for inspiration.  It takes time.

And now I have to get this dog out before the winds come...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just beewrote:

@geezerettewrote:

The deli, the butcher shop, most restaurants were all Mom and Pop when I was growing up.  Very few chains.  Howard Johnson’s—and I distinctly remember their food was awful.  The independent restaurants always had homemade food.  And they were actual restaurants, not drive thru.  

But I do remember one guilty pleasure: White Castle.  I loved that place.  The smell, the grease.  I can still smell the onions.  In fact, I probably still have that onion smell in my clothes until today.

@geezerette

It's mostly chains now and they're the same in just about every city.  If I travel I don't want to eat at the same places I have in Albuquerque but apparently people do.

The basic strip mall, recreated from coast to coast.

I'm still trying to understand the wing craze.  That's the part of the chicken you give to the cat.

I used to love chicken wings as a kid.

My sister and her husband used to do a lot of traveling in Europe while he was working.  She like to eat at the fast food places because it was the same as at home. Can you imagine being in Paris and eating at McDonalds?

Honored Contributor

@geezerettewrote:

@just beewrote:

@geezerettewrote:

The deli, the butcher shop, most restaurants were all Mom and Pop when I was growing up.  Very few chains.  Howard Johnson’s—and I distinctly remember their food was awful.  The independent restaurants always had homemade food.  And they were actual restaurants, not drive thru.  

But I do remember one guilty pleasure: White Castle.  I loved that place.  The smell, the grease.  I can still smell the onions.  In fact, I probably still have that onion smell in my clothes until today.

@geezerette

It's mostly chains now and they're the same in just about every city.  If I travel I don't want to eat at the same places I have in Albuquerque but apparently people do.

I'm still trying to understand the wing craze.  That's the part of the chicken you give to the cat.

I used to love chicken wings as a kid.

My sister and her husband used to do a lot of traveling in Europe while he was working.  She like to eat at the fast food places because it was the same as at home. Can you imagine being in Paris and eating at McDonalds?

@geezerette

I've always wondered why people would do that.  I mean, maybe to see if a Quarter Pounder is better in Paris but then, after that, what's the point?

Some people want consistency and uniformity.  They want what's familiar.  I totally understand that.  But not when I'm traveling.  I want to take some risks and try new things.  If I'm in Italy, there's no freaking way I'm going to a KFC.

Even when I go to another state I want the regional food.  The problem is that I haven't been anywhere new in twelve years.

And just as I typed that, BH called me over to his computer to introduce me to a bird I hadn't seen before: A New Zealand Mountain Parrot.  And then he started showing me other NZ birds.

I need a vacation in Tasmania.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Pink robin

Pink robin

The Pink Robin of Tasmania.

NZ Kea

New Zealand Kea.

I need to get out more often.

Trusted Contributor

I love auspicious. And audacioius. Maybe for August?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee Great photo! Monarch?

Well, gang, you may remember me bragging about having a garage sale, donation truck and junk guy all taking things away from my house in February. March I got some furniture moved and focused on work and a family wedding I was making things for. 

All that stuff going away was not enough. Over the weekend, I went through two big bookcases that I plan to move to another room. I love all those hundreds of books and other things, but...I am giving up a good third, maybe half of it. It's all in a very large pile in my living room waiting for me to move it on out. Books! Heavy! I've taken out a  big bag of trash and a big bag of recycled paper stuff in the past week as well. 

Know how, when you clear things out, the mess seems to just gets bigger and bigger? That's where I am...

Trusted Contributor

@just beewrote:

@geezerettewrote:

@geezerette

So I will begin my travel story here.  Did you know that in Japan, they have KFC meals for Christmas?  I was kind of disappointed when we were in Sendai, Japan a couple of weeks ago and saw a KFC.  I made a comment about it and was told that the locals have a twisted idea of what an American Christmas is so they have "Kentucky For Christmas".  So sad.  Japan is full of amazing food and they choose to go the "American" route. When we travel we look for the mom & pop hole-in-the-wall places to eat.  Those are always the best in terms of taste and value.  No American chains, except McDonald's where they have a regional special like the ebi-burger which is a fried shrimp burger only found in Japan or the seasonal strawberry soda float, which is as pretty as it is delicious.

I've been MIA because our family went on a mission trip to Ishinomaki Japan for 2 weeks! This is the area that was hit by the huge tsunami in 2011.  Our church sends a team about every 20 months and this time we felt called.  We love Japan and was able to see a whole different side. We teamed up with a local church which is staffed with a team of US & Japanese missionaries.  They have been there since just after the tsunami hit 7 years ago and have been serving the community.  We helped in a wide variety of ways from baking cookies for the missionaries to give out on their home visits to the depressed and shut in to giving an English class at the YMCA.  It was really neat to connect with people on a personal level vs being a tourist.  Also, being from Hawaii really opened doors.  For some reason, Japanese love Hawaii and would want to meet & talk to us.  We had a great time and I hope we will be able to go back as a family again to reconnect with our new friends.  If you love Japan, please pray for Ishinomaki.  Physically, the area is rebuilding however many people remain depressed and hopeless.  Can you imagine that everyone in your region lost a loved one or friend from one disaster? Pretty depressing right?  The death toll was 19,000 people from the combined region. So sad.

Knowing that this would be a working trip, i packed very lightly, especially the toiletries.  And I hardly used any of my makeup.  In fact, DH asked me if I could put on lipstick to brighten up.  Gotta love the guy.  We just didn't have the time or space for making up my face and our guests didn't care or notice.  It was pretty freeing.  We had a little time for shopping and I only ended up buying one lip product in the cosmetic category.  I spend most of my money at the Nozomi Project and the Megumi Project which make jewelery from broken pottery and use old kimono fabric for other modern items.  Really great organizations that ship worldwide.

I need to make dinner but will continue later.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus-I've gotten rid of a lot of the knick knacks I've collected over the years. My parents used to buy them for me whenever they went on a trip so for a long time I felt like I "needed" to keep them. Many of them I had for 20-30 years. Just recently I gave myself permission to get rid of most of them. They weren't my trips and honestly had no special meaning to me other than my parents got them for me. Most of them were just stored in a tote in the basement anyway so it's not like they were even out on display. 

When we moved into our new house about 6 years ago I eliminated a lot of other knick knacks and decor type items. We moved into a log home and the things I had from the old house didn't match the log house at all. I'm trying to be very careful about what types of items I put out, including pictures, because I don't like the clutter and I HATE moving it all to dust and clean. I have enough hassle with that because my hubby and both kids have every flat surface in their rooms covered with stuff. I have no desire to add to that. 

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl-thanks for sharing about your mission trip, I look forward to hearing more about it! 

Honored Contributor

@KaySDwrote:

I love auspicious. And audacioius. Maybe for August?

@KaySD

Actually, August 2017 was Auspicious.  Well, it was supposed to be...